|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 162 cm
in meters- 1.62 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Political Party||• Samajwadi Party (2022-present)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (2016-2022)
• Bahujan Samaj Party (1996-2016)
|Political Journey||• From October 1996 to March 2002: Member of 13th Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh
• From March 1997 to October 1997: Minister in the government of Uttar Pradesh
• From September 2001 to October 2001: Leader of the opposition, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
• From March 2002 to May 2007: Member of 14th Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh
• From May 2002 to August 2003: Minister in the government of Uttar Pradesh
• From May 2002 to August 2003: Leader of the House in Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
• From August 2003 to September 2003: Leader of the opposition in Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
• From May 2007 to November 2009: Minister in the government of Uttar Pradesh
• From November 2009 to March 2012: Member of the 15th Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh government
• From November 2007 to March 2012: Minister in the government of Uttar Pradesh
• From March 2012: Member of the 16th Legislative Assembly
• From March 2012 to June 2016: Leader of the opposition in Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly
• From March 2017: Cabinet Minister, Bharatiya Janata Party (Uttar Pradesh)
|Date of Birth||2 January 1954 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||68 Years|
|Birthplace||Village and Post Office - Chakwad, Distt - Pratapgarh, U.P.|
|Hometown||Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Educational Qualification(s)||M.A., L L.B. from Allahabad University Legislative Bodies of India|
|Religion||Buddhism Legislative Bodies of India|
|Caste||OBC The Indian Express|
|Address||183 Unchahar (Uttar Pradesh) constituency at Serial No. 679 in Part No. 302|
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Utkrust Maurya (politician)
Daughter- Sanghmitra Maurya (politician)
|Parents||Father- Badlu Maurya
Mother- Jagannathi Maurya
|Siblings||He has three younger brothers and a younger sister. Legislative Bodies of India|
|Net Worth (approx.) as of 2012 My Neta||Movable Assets
Cash: Rs. 60,000
Deposits in Banks: Rs. 16,70,242
Other assets: Rs. 30,000
Agricultural Land: Rs. 11,00,000
Non Agricultural Land: Rs. 10,00,000
Residential Buildings: Rs. 35,00,000
Others: Rs. 36,20,500
Some Lesser Known Facts About Swami Prasad Maurya
- Swami Prasad Maurya is an Indian politician who is a member of the 17th Legislative Assembly of the Uttar Pradesh government in India. He served as a Member of the Uttar Pradesh legislative assembly from the Dalmau and Padrauna constituency for five terms in which he served the position of a cabinet minister in the government of Uttar Pradesh, leader of the house, and leader of the opposition. From 19 March 2017 to 11 January 2022, Swami Prasad Maurya served as the Cabinet Minister for Labour, Employment and Co-ordination in the government of Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1980, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as the convenor of Yuva Lokdal in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. In 1981, he was appointed as the Member of the State Executive Committee of U.P. Yuva Lokdal. From 1981 to 1989, he served as the Mahamantri of U.P. Lokdal. Swami Prasad Maurya was appointed as the General Secretary of Janata Dal in 1991. In 1996, Swami Prasad Maurya opposed the Janata Dal, and soon, resigned from the party.
- On 2 January 1996, Swami Prasad Maurya joined the Bahujan Samaj Party in which he was appointed as the General Secretary and State Vice President of Bahujan Samaj Party, Uttar Pradesh. In 1996, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as the Member of Legislative Assembly from the Dalmau constituency as a candidate of the Bahujan Samaj Party. From 27 March 1997 to 19 October 1997, Swami Prasad Maurya served as a Cabinet Minister in the Bahujan Samaj Party in which he was given the department of Khadi and Rural Industries. On 18 September 2001, Swami Prasad Maurya was designated as the Leader Of Opposition and held the position till 17 October 2001.
- In 2002, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Dalmau constituency as a candidate of the Bahujan Samaj Party. From 30 August 2003 to 7 September 2003, he served as the Leader of Legislative Council and was also appointed as the Cabinet Minister in which he held the department of Khadi and Rural Industries. Swami Prasad Maurya lost the general elections of 2007 when Mayawati became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the fourth time. In 2007, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as MLA from the Padrauna constituency of Uttar Pradesh. On 29 June 2007, he was appointed as the Revenue Minister and was elected as the Leader of the Legislative Council. On 8 August 2008, Swami Prasad Maurya was nominated as the National President of Bahujan Samaj Party. Swami Prasad Maurya was given the additional charge of Cooperative Minister from 17 May 2007 to 30 May 2009.
- On 15 November 2009, he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister and given the charge of Panchayati Raj Minister and Leader of Legislative Council, and Swami Prasad Maurya served the position till 15 March 2012. On 8 April 2011, he was given the Department of Land Development and Water Resources with an additional charge of Dr Ambedkar Rural Entire Development Department of Uttar Pradesh government.
- In the 2012 Legislative Assembly elections, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Padrauna constituency, and on 16 March 2012, he was designated as the Leader of Opposition in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly.
- On 22 June 2016, Swami Prasad Maurya resigned from Bahujan Samaj Party when he alleged that the party runs a syndicate named “money for ticket” in the party. Later, the head of BSP Mayawati denied all the allegations in a press conference. In the same conference, Mayawati stated that the party was thankful to Swami Prasad Maurya that he left the party on his own otherwise the party was about to expel him due to his dynastic politics within BSP.
- In July 2016, the Loktantrik Bahujan Manch was established by Maurya at Lucknow’s Ramabai Ambedkar Rally Ground.
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a follower of Dr B. R. Amedkar. He changed his religion from Hinduism to Buddhism in 2016. The Indian Express
- In March 2017, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as MLA from Padrauna (Vidhan Sabha constituency) of Uttar Pradesh, and he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister in Uttar Pradesh Government and was given charge of the Labour and Employment exchanges, Urban employment and Poverty alleviation under Bharatiya Janta Party. On 21 August 2019, his department was changed to Minister of Labour, Employment, Co-ordination in the first cabinet expansion of Yogi Adityanath Ministry.
- In 2019, Sanghmitra Maurya, the daughter of Swami Prasad Maurya, was elected to Lok Sabha as a BJP MP from the Budaun constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
- On 11 January 2022, Swami Prasad Maurya resigned from the post of Cabinet Minister of Uttar Pradesh during the Bharatiya Janta Party regime and joined the Samajwadi Party. In a press conference, he stated the reason for his resignation from the Bharatiya Janata Party. He said that he did not get the MLA ticket for the 2022 elections, and he also added that BJP had done injustice to almost all the sections of society in Uttar Pradesh. Along with Maurya, six other BJP MLAs resigned from the party. Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav posted on Twitter after Maurya’s resignation from BJP. Akhilesh posted,
Warm welcome and greetings to the popular leader Swami Prasad Maurya ji and other leaders and workers in the party who fought for social justice and equality. There will be a revolution for social justice, there will be change in 2022.”
My move has caused a bhuchaal (earthquake) in the BJP. I have only quit as a minister. I will be joining the Samajwadi Party on January 14. I have not received calls from any small or big politician.”
- After Swami Prasad Maurya’s resignation from BJP, the son of Swami Prasad Maurya, Utkarsh Maurya, stated in a media interview that the resignation of his father was his personal decision, and Swami Prasad Maurya was not demanding tickets for his son and daughter. Utkarsh said,
Even today, there is no such issue that my father wants a ticket for me or my sister. My father and the party will decide if I have to contest the election or they want me as a party worker for the upcoming Assembly polls.”
- Swami Prasad Maurya is very active on Twitter. He is followed by more than 44k people on Twitter.
- Swami Prasad Maurya was often spotted touching the feet of Mayawati during the party rallies and oaths taking ceremonies when he was a leader in the BSP.
- On 12 January 2022, Swami Prasad Maurya was issued a legal warrant for hurting the religious sentiments of the Indians by the statement that he gave in 2014. The warrant was issued against him soon after his resignation from the Uttar Pradesh BJP government. NDTV In 2014, he stated,
Gauri-Ganesh should not be worshiped in marriages. This is a conspiracy to mislead Dalits and backwards in the Manuwadi system and make them slaves.”
- On 14 October 2023, Swami Prasad Maurya talked about the Partition of India while talking to the media after Buddha Mahotsav at the GIC Ground in Banda, Uttar Pradesh. In the interview, he claimed that the Hindu Mahasabha was the primary cause of the partition and asserted that Muhammad Ali Jinnah was not responsible for it. Maurya further stated that those who advocate for a Hindu Rashtra are the enemies of the nation. Jagadguru Paramhansa Acharya later responded to Maurya’s claims and said that he would provide financial and legal support to anyone willing to kill Maurya. The Print