Some Lesser Known Facts About Tania Sachdev
- Tania Sachdev is an Indian chess player. She is the recipient of the FIDE titles of International Master (IM) and Woman Grandmaster (WGM). She became the Indian women’s chess champion in 2006 and 2007. In 2007, she earned the title ‘Asian women’s chess champion.’ Tania Sachdev became the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Champion in 2016, 2018, and 2019. She often works as a chess presenter and commentator.
- Tania Sachdev was introduced to chess by her mother when Tania was six years old. Her mother was a state-level badminton player during her college days. Soon, Tania started taking professional training in chess from her coach K.C. Joshi. At the age of eight, she won her first international title. In a media interview, Tania stated that she grasped the chess rules very quickly in childhood. She said,
I picked up the rules, and two or three days later, I asked my dad for a game and beat him. Since then, my parents have always been supportive, and they made me take up professional training.”
- In her childhood, Tania Sachdev clinched several chess titles including under-12 Indian champion and Asian U14 girls’ champion in 2000. In 1998, she clinched a bronze medal at the World Youth Chess Championships in the Girls U12 division. She was the winner of the Asian Junior Girls Championship in Marawila in 2002.
- In 2005, Tania Sachdev clinched the Woman Grandmaster title and became the eighth Indian player to receive the same. In 2006 and 2007, she was the winner of India’s National Women’s Premier Chess Championship. Since 2009 and 2011, Tania Sachdev has been participating in the Women’s World Team Chess Championship. She is a part of the Women’s Asian Team Chess Championship since 2003. She has been competing in Asian Games since 2006 and in Asian Indoor Games since 2009.
- Tania Sachdev is often seen hosting various Indian live sports events and championships on national television.
- Tania Sachdev is participating in the Indian national team in the Women’s Chess Olympiads since 2008.
- In 2012, Tania Sachdev clinched a bronze medal in an individual chess event at the Women’s Chess Olympiad in Istanbul. In 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2014, she bagged four silver medals in the same Olympiads.
- In 2013, Tania Sachdev was a part of the official commentary team for the World Championship Match between Magnus Carlsen and Viswanathan Anand.
- Tania Sachdev is often featured by several well-known Indian magazines and tabloids on their cover page.
- Tania Sachdev has provided a Fritztrainer Strategy DVD for Chessbase India.
- Apart from being a chess player, Tania Sachdev likes modelling. She has received professional training in classical dancing. Once, in a media conversation, she stated that she would love to be called a hot chess player. Tania Sachdev said,
Though I would like to be known for my achievements in the sport, I don’t mind if somebody calls me a hot chess player.”
- In 2015, Tania Sachdev clinched a silver medal in the Asian Continental Women’s Rapid Chess Championship.
- In 2015, Tania Sachdev participated in the Wings For Life World Run event.
- In 2016, Tania Sachdev clinched the best woman’s prize at the Reykjavik Open. In the same year, she bagged the Commonwealth women’s champion title in Kalutara.
- In 2018, Tania Sachdev became the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Champion.
- In 2019, Tania Sachdev clinched the Commonwealth women’s championship held at The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel, India.
- Tania Sachdev often promotes and advertises the Indian soft drink company, Red Bull. Red Bull often sponsors her chess events and championships.
- Tania Sachdev is a travelling enthusiast. She loves exploring the local cuisine and culture during her travelling to other countries for chess matches. In her leisure time, she likes reading books and shopping.
- Tania Sachdev is a public speaker and motivator. She is often invited by several local gathering platforms as a guest speaker.
- According to Tania Sachdev, playing chess is fascinating to her. In a media interview, she narrated that while playing chess one could realise the development of a logical thought process in oneself. She said,
Chess has always been very fascinating for me. I think when you play chess it opens up so many other facets of your personality which one is not aware of. Logical thought process while handling a position in chess and dealing with a complicated situation in real life is so comparable.”
- In 2021, Tania Sachdev won the silver medal and the FIDE Women’s World Senior Team Chess Championship along with her team. These championships were held at Acqui Terme, Italy.
- On 10 August 2022, Tania Sachdev was a part of the first-ever Indian women’s team to win a bronze medal at an Olympiad organised in Chennai, India. The gold and silver medals in the women’s section were won by Ukraine and Georgia, respectively.
- Tania Sachdev is a compassionate animal lover. She has a pet dog named Buddy Sachdev. She frequently shares pictures of her pet dog on social media.
- Tania Sachdev remains very active on various social media platforms. On Instagram, she has over 154k followers. Her Facebook page is followed by over 122k people. She has a YouTube channel, which has over 89.1k subscribers. Tania Sachdev often posts pictures and videos on social media.
- Tania Sachdev is often invited by several television shows as a celebrity guest for commercial purposes.