|Political Party||Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD)
|Political Journey||2015- Elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly from the Mahua constituency as a member of the RJD.
2015- Cabinet minister in Nitish Kumar's government till 2017.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Date of Birth||21 November 1989
|Age (as of 2021)||32 Years|
|Birthplace||Phulwaria, Gopalganj district, Bihar, India|
|Hometown||Phulwaria, Gopalganj district, Bihar, India|
|College/University||Bihar National College, Patna|
|Educational Qualification||12th standard|
|Caste||Other Backward Class (OBC) Forbes|
|Address||208, Kautilya nagar, MP MLA Colony, P.O. B.V. College, Distt. Patna|
|Hobbies||Horse-riding, Playing flute & cricket, Listening to music|
|Award/Honour||2017- Degree of Doctorate by Bihar Takshila University|
|Controversies||• In November 2015, Tej Pratap and his brother Tejasvi attached their affidavits with their nomination papers for the legislative elections. But, the education certificates attached ignited controversy as according to the affidavits, Tej Pratap passed intermediate in 2010, whereas, Tejaswi passed Class 9 in 2006, which meant that Tej Pratap was 25 years old, and Tejaswi was 26. It completely changed the equation of their age, as according to it, Tej Pratap was younger than Tejaswi, which was incorrect.
• On 13 May 2016, journalist Rajdeo Ranjan was shot to death by unknown attackers in a bike, near the crowded Station Road at Siwan, Bihar. After the murder, Ranjan's wife had filed a case alleging Tej Pratap was part of the murder's conspiracy. The Supreme Court had asked the CBI to investigate after Tej Pratap was seen in a picture with criminal-politician Mohammad Shahabuddin's aide, Mohammad Kaif. In September 2016, the Supreme Court sent notices to Tej Pratap Yadav and Shahabuddin, but in March 2018, the Supreme Court acquitted Tej Pratap and Shahabuddin due to lack of evidence.
• In June 2017, his petrol pump licence was cancelled by the Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) for giving false information about his land ownership.
• In November 2017, he threatened PM Narendra Modi after his father's security was downgraded from Z+ to Z.
• In February 2018, he was accused of constructing a temple on the encroached land without taking any permission from the concerned authority.
• In August 2019, his wife, Aishwarya Rai, alleged that her husband was a drug addict and often dressed up like Radha, Krishna and Shiva while claiming to be their avatar. She said- “Tej Pratap used to dress up like Lord Radha, Krishna and Shiva…I got to know about this soon after my wedding that he used to dress up like gods and goddesses….once after consuming drugs, Tej Pratap wore a gaghra (long skirt) and choli (blouse) and dressed up like goddess Radha, he also wore makeup and a hair wig." Ms Rai also said that whenever she asked him to stop taking drugs, he used to say- "Ganja to Bhole babe ka prasad hai, usko kaise mana karen? (Marijuana is Lord Shiva’s oblation; how can I say no to that?)”, Tej Pratap used to say whenever I asked him to stop taking drugs. “Krishna hi Radha hai, Radha hi Krishna hai’ (Krishna is Radha and Radha is Krishna)."
• In December 2019, Aishwarya sat weeping outside the Yadav family's circular road residence in Patna; alleging that she had been assaulted by Rabri Devi and driven out of her house. She charged her mother-in-law and former Bihar Chief Minister of Bihar, Rabri Devi with beating her, dragging her by her hair and snatching away her mobile phone and other belongings before driving her out of the residence. She also accused Tej of domestic violence. In October 2023, a family court in Patna found Tej liable in the case. The court granted Aishwarya's petition for protection under the Domestic Violence Act, ordering Tej to cover all the expenses related to utilities, water supply, and other amenities associated with her use of the "shared household" at her matrimonial home, located at 10, Circular Road, the residential bungalow allotted to Rabri Devi. The Times of India
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Engagement Date||18 April 2018|
|Engagement Place||Hotel Maurya, Patna|
|Marriage Date||12 May 2018|
|Marriage Place||Bihar Veterinary College ground, Patna
|Parents||Father- Lalu Prasad Yadav (Politician)
Mother- Rabri Devi (Politician)
|Siblings||Brother- Tejasvi Yadav
Sisters- Misha Bharti, Rohini Acharya, Chanda, Ragini, Dhannu, Hema, Lakshmi
|Food||Chaap, Rohu, Catla fish|
|Bike Collection||Honda Fireblade Superbike|
|Salary (as of 2018)||Rs. 1,65,000 + Other allowances|
|Net Worth (as of 2014)||Rs. 2 crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tej Pratap Yadav
- Does Tej Pratap Yadav smoke?: No
- Does Tej Pratap Yadav drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Tej Pratap was born into an influential political family.
- Though he was enrolled in the Bihar National College in Patna, he was unable to clear his BA Part I (Political Science) Exam in 2012, after which he left his college midway.
- In November 2015, he fumbled at the oath ceremony of the Nitish Kumar government, as he misspelled the word “apekshit” (expected) instead of “upekshit” (neglected). The then Governor of Bihar, Ram Nath Kovind, had to interrupt twice by saying “It’s apekshit, not upekshit,” to rectify his mistake.
- He aspired to be a pilot and even enrolled himself in Patna’s Bihar Flying Institute to gain a commercial pilot license (CPL). In order to achieve the license, he was supposed to fly for at least 200 hours, but he wasn’t able to do so, hence, left the training midway.
- In December 2015, as the Environment Minister of Bihar, he promoted horse-riding as an initiative to curb pollution in the state. He set an example by riding a horse himself.
- In 2016, he was seen frying snacks at the Bihar Vidhan Sabha canteen, when he was serving as the Cabinet Minister for Health in the Government of Bihar.
- He gained the nickname “Kanhaiya” after his picture in Lord Krishna’s dress went viral.
- In October 2021, while addressing the Chatra Janshakti Parishad, his new organisation that he founded after rift with RJD state chief Jagdanand Singh, Tej Pratap revealed that he was a pilot and was once selected for the Indian Air Force. Financial Express He said,
Before coming to politics, my background was of a pilot. I had applied to join Indian Air Force and was selected too. I have also done two years of training from Bihar Flying Institute…Cessna 172 was my aircraft. There was an instructor Captain Surya Pratap and he used to train me. I used to fly aircraft. It was my childhood passion to join the Indian Army. I have my ID card of that, all documents, my medical test was also done, I have kept all these things. ‘Captain’ is a prefix to my name but I don’t use it. Many people don’t know, if you go to the airport of the flying institute, many old personnel there will tell you that Bhaiya (Tej Pratap) used to come here to fly aircraft.”