Some Lesser Known Facts About U Ko Ni
- Does U Ko Ni smoke?: Not Known
- Does U Ko Ni drink alcohol?: Not Known
- U Ko Ni was a popular human rights lawyer and a legal adviser to Myanmar’s National League for Democracy (NLD) leader, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
- He was a Burmese Muslim and a Supreme Court Lawyer who had handled 900+ criminal cases and 1400+ civil cases.
He founded Laurel Law Firm in 1995 with 2 other advocates.
- He wrote 6 books on human rights issues and democratic elections.
- He was involved in the interfaith peace movement.
- On 29 January 2017, on his return from a government delegation trip to Indonesia, he was shot in the head when he was hiring a taxi outside the airport around 5 pm by an assassin who also killed the taxi driver. Later, the assassin was identified by police as U Kyi Lin from Mandalay, Myanmar.