Some Lesser Known Facts About Upendra Rao
- Upendra Rao is a well-known Kannada filmmaker, screenwriter, and actor who predominantly works in the Kannada film industry. In 2019, he formed a political party named Uttama Prajakeeya Party (UPP).
- During his school days, he used to participate in theatre, debates, and cultural activities. When he was studying in college, he worked as a writer and later, he became an assistant director to Late Kashinatha Hathwara, an actor and film director who was also his distant relative.
I was in college when I first met him. I presented him my work, which included poetry and other writings. He asked me to join him at work from the next day. Soon, he gave me an opportunity to write a song. I then began writing dialogues, working as an assistant in various departments and also co-directed a film with him.”
- After his directorial debut in 1992, he directed Kannada films such as Shhh! (1993), Swasthik (1998), Om (1995), A (1998), and Upendra (1999). Upendra also acted in these films. He also appeared in several Kannada films including Preethse (2000), Kutumba (2002), Raktha Kanneeru (2003), Aishwarya (2006), Topiwala (2013), Brahma (2014), Super Ranga (2014), Shivam (2015), and I Love You (2019).
- In 1995, he directed a Kannada film titled Operation Antha, which is an extended version of the 1981 film Antha; however, the film was unsuccessful and attracted some controversies.
- He made his comeback after he directed the film Super (2010). The film turned out to be a blockbuster, broke many box office records upon release and became one of the highest-grossing and critically acclaimed Kannada films of 2010.
- In an interview, while talking about hardships that Rao faced during his childhood, he said,
Me and my brother used to do odd jobs such as making paper covers with newspapers and used to supply them to roadside fruit sellers, and also packed parcels to earn money.”
- Upendra is the brand ambassador of United Breweries and has endorsed many popular brands including Lunars Footwear, Mavalli Tiffin Room (MTR), Emani Navaratna Brand, and Royal Challengers Bangalore.