Ustad Hamid Ali Khan Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
|Famous Albums||• Raag Se Geet Tak (1981)
• Lazzat-e-Dard (1990)
• Phool Khilne They Abhi (2006)
• Ragas: Malkauns, Mian Ki Malhar & Megh (2006)
• Ik Roz Tamanna Ke (2018)
• Zikar E Yesu (2020)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• He was honoured with the 'Pride of Performance Award' by the President of Pakistan in 2007.
• He was presented with the 'Sitara-i-Imtiaz' by the Government of Pakistan in 2010.
• He won several awards for lifetime achievement in the field of classical music during his tour of India in 2007.
• Ustad Hamid Ali Khan was honoured by the Ambassadors of 8 countries for conveying the message of peace and harmony through his music. He was honoured in Islamabad on 15 July 2021 by the Ambassadors of Italy, Germany, Japan, Belgium, Sweden, Poland Morocco, and Switzerland.
|Date of Birth||Year, 1953|
|Age (as of 2022)||70 Years|
|College/University||University of Punjab|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name not known|
• Nayab Ali Khan (singer)
• Wali Hamid Ali Khan (singer, actor)
• Inam Ali Khan (singer)
Note:All the sons of Hamid Ali together formed a Sufi rock band named ‘Raga Boyz.’
|Parents||Father- Ustad Akhtar Hussain Khan (classical vocalist)
• Ustad Amanat Ali Khan
• Ustad Bade Fateh Ali Khan
|Other Relatives||Great Grandfather: Mian Kallu (classical vocalist; founder of Patiala Gharana)
Grandfather: Ustad Ali Baksh Jarnail Khan (classical vocalist; founder of Patiala Gharana)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hamid Ali Khan
- Ustad Hamid Ali Khan is a Pakistani classical singer known for singing ghazal, khayal, and thumris. He belongs to the Patiala Gharana, which used to perform traditional and classical Hindustani music.
- He is the youngest brother of the popular classical vocalist Ustad Amanat Ali Khan and Ustad Bade Fateh Ali Khan.
- He learnt music from his father, Ustad Ali Baksh Khan, who was a renowned vocalist under the patronage of the Maharaja of Patiala, and his elder brothers, Amanat Ali Khan and Fateh Ali Khan.
- According to the tradition of singing in Patiala Gharana, the singers usually sing in duets. At the beginning of his singing career, Ustad Hamid Ali Khan used to sing with his nephew Amjad Amanat Ali Khan, son of Amanat Ali Khan. However, Amjad later moved to London after which Hamid started singing with Asad Amanat Ali, another son of Amanat Ali Khan.
- The duet of Hamid Ali Khan and Asad Amanat Ali Khan became immensely popular, but after the demise of Asad Amanat Ali Khan, the duet broke up, and Hamid Ali had to manage all the work alone.
- In his singing career, Ustad Hamid Ali Khan has sung more than 100 songs including some famous ghazals of Amanat Ali Khan.
- His ghazals “Laagi Re Tose Lagi” and “Menu Tere Jiya Sohna” are regarded as the all-time favourite among his fans.
- In 2014, at the event “A tribute to the Patiala Gharana,” which was organised by Pearl Continental Hotel Rawalpindi in collaboration with FM Productions, Hamid Ali Khan performed along with his sons (Wali Hamid Ali, Nayab Ali, and Inam Ali) and his elder brother Ustad Bade Fateh Ali Khan. It was the first time when the three generations of the Patiala Gharana performed together. The Express Tribune
- In 2015, he performed a song titled “Piya Dekhan Ko” on season 10 of the Pakistani music show ‘Coke Studio.’
- In 2016, he performed at the All Pakistan Music Festival in Karachi along with his elder brother, Ustad Bade Fateh Ali Khan.
- In 2017, Hamid Ali Khan launched an album titled “Dil Tau KehtaHai,” consisting of six ghazals, after a gap of six years. According to him, the trend of classical music and launching albums has declined these days. In an interview, he asked the other singers to keep the culture and heritage of the country alive by launching albums. In an interview, while talking about this, he said,
I have to secure the traditions of my family and that is the reason why I will continue to launch more albums in the coming years,” he added, “I will do my very best for the preservation of our culture and heritage.” The Express Tribune
- Following the death of Ustad Fateh Ali Khan in 2017, Hamid Ali is considered to be the only exponent of the Patiala Gharana’s tradition of classical singing.
- In 2021, he launched the album “Karam,” featuring his son Wali Hamid Khan and actress Nimra Khan. The album is a collaboration of classical music by Ustad Hamid Ali Khan and the Sufi rock band “Raga Boyz.”
- In an interview, Ustad Hamid Ali Khan explained the reason behind Patiala Gharana’s tradition of singing in pairs and said,
Our ancestors devised this method of singing in pairs so that the next generation always sticks together. So, while both partners have a full range, in public performances one would take care of the Durat (fast tempo) while the other would take on Alap (improvised sections of ragas). There are thousands of ragas in music and it is important to have a wide range for every trained classical singer, but our gharana especially excels in Malkuns, Darbari, Adana, Des, Bhopali, and Multani of which some are sung in the morning, some in the evening and some at night.” Youline Magazine
- In an interview, Ustad Hamid Ali Khan talked about one of his visits to India and said that during his visit, he was asked to stay in India for a few more days to perform and was also offered several facilities in return; however, the singer denied all the offers and said that he will serve only his country.
- Ustad Hamid Ali Khan suggested the title “Raga Boyz” for the band of his sons. The reason behind this title is that “Raag,” a traditional melodic framework in Indian music, is called “Raga” in western countries, and the singing style of the band is a fusion of western pop music and Indian traditional classical music. Therefore, he found the title to be most suitable for the band of his sons.
|↑1||The Express Tribune|
|↑2||The Express Tribune|