|Profession(s)||Comedian, Screenwriter, Lyricist|
|Famous For||Writing the dialogues for the movie Gangs of Wasseypur|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Date of Birth||26 January 1980|
|Age (as in 2018)||38 Years|
|Birthplace||Sundernagar, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Sundernagar, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|College||Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification||Completed his Civil Engineering in 2003|
|Hobbies||Writing, Reading, Dancing, Watching Movies|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Stardust Award For Best Screenplay in 2015 for 'Massan'
• Stardust Award for Standout Performance by a Lyricist in 2015 for 'Tu kisi Rail Si'
• National Film Award for Best Lyrics in 2016 for Moh Moh Ke Dhaage
• Zee Cine Award for Best Lyricist in 2016 for 'Moh Moh Ke Dhaage'
• IIFA Award for Best Lyricist in 2016 for 'Moh Moh Ke Dhaage'
• Guild Award for Best Lyrics in 2016 for 'Moh Moh Ke Dhaage'
• Mirchi Music Awards for Critics' Choice Lyricist of the Year in 2016 for 'Moh Moh Ke Dhaage'
• GiMA Award for Best Lyricist in 2016 for 'Moh Moh Ke Dhaage'
• Screen Award for Best Lyricist in 2016 for 'Dum Laga Ke Haisha'
|Controversy||In 2018, during the MeToo campaign, poet and feminist Harnidh Kaur alleged that she was harassed by him.|
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Parents||Names Not Known
Note: His father was an Army Engineer and his mother was a school teacher.
|Favourite Food(s)||Missi Roti, Butter Chicken, Dal Makhni|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan|
|Favourite Actress||Priyanka Chopra|
|Favourite Film(s)||Black Friday, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind|
|Favourite Song(s)||Written by him- Kaala Rey and Mann kasturi
Written by others- Baawra Mann, Wo Hum Na The Wo Tum Na The, Ye Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye
|Favourite TV Series||Life's Too Short, Fargo, True Detective, Veep and Black Mirror|
|Favourite Novel(s)||Gunahaon ka Devta by Dharamvir Bharati, Kyāpa by Manohar Shyam Joshi, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy|
|Favourite Author(s)||Manohar Shyam Joshi, Uday Prakash, Shrilal Shukla, Vinod Kumar Shukla|
|Favourite Book||Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie|
|Favourite Play||Aisa Kahte Hain by Manav Kaul|
|Favourite Musician||S. D. Burman|
|Favourite Comedian(s)||Aditi Mittal and Karunesh Talwar|
|Favourite Place(s)||Kerala, Uttarakhand, Spain|
|Favourite Place to Get a Drink in Mumbai||Family Restaurant Aani Bar|
|Favourite Places to Get a Meal||• Crystal dhaba at Girgaum Chowpatty
• The Calcutta Club in Oshiwara
• Idli House in Matunga
|Salary (approx.)||₹6 Lakh|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Varun Grover
- Does Varun Grover smoke?: Not Known
- Does Varun Grover drink alcohol?: Yes
- He spent his teenage in Sundernagar (Himachal Pradesh) and Dehradun (Uttarakhand). Then, he moved to Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) along with his family.
- He had an affection for writing since his school time. He used to write poetry for his friends to help them with their love lives. During his college time, he wrote scripts for his college theatres and other national youth festivals. The appreciation that he got for his work, boosted his confidence in the writing field.
- He began his career as a software consultant with an MNC “Kanbay” in Pune; where he worked for almost 1 year.
- In 2004, he shifted to Mumbai to follow his writing passion.
- In 2005, he got an opportunity to script a TV series “The Great Indian Comedy Show”. He worked with 5 other writers there and got the chance to explore his talent.
- By writing scripts for comedy shows for a long time, he gained enough confidence to represent himself on stage as a standup comedian.
- He wrote lyrics for famous films like Gangs of Wasseypur, Udta Punjab, Zubaan, Dum Laga Ke Haisha, Newton, Fan, Raman Raghav 2.0, and Bombay Velvet.
- Except for movies, he is also considered as an active writer for popular TV shows like The Great Indian Comedy Show, 10 Ka Dum, Jay Hind!, Ranvir Vinay Aur Kaun?, and Oye! It’s Friday!.
- Today, his name is included in the list of 30 Indian standup comedians who also do screenplay writing and lyrics writing in the Hindi Film Industry.
- Also, he is one of the top ten highest paid Lyricists in the Indian Film Industry.