|Full Name||Vernon Darryl Philander|
|Nickname(s)||Pro, V-Dawg, Big Vern|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 40 inches
- Waist: 30 inches
- Biceps: 14 inches
|International Debut||ODI- 24 June 2007 against Ireland at Belfast
Test- 9 November 2011 against Australia at Cape Town
T20- 11 September 2007 against West Indies at Johannesburg
|Jersey Number||# 24 (South Africa)
|Domestic/State Team||Cape Cobras, Devon, Jamaica Tallawahs, Kent, Middlesex, Nottinghamshire, Somerset, South Africa A, South Western Districts, Western Province|
|Records (main ones)||• The fastest South African to take 100 test wickets (in 19th Test).
• The second fastest to take 50 wickets in Test history (in 7th Test).
• The 5th player ever to take 5 wickets in an innings in each of his first 3 tests.
|Career Turning Point||His outstanding performance in the 2006-07 domestic season for the Cobras, where he took 30 wickets and had a batting average of 72.|
|Date of Birth||24 June 1985|
|Age (as in 2018)||33 Years|
|Birth Place||Ravensmead, Parow, Western Cape, South Africa|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Cancer|
|Hometown||Ravensmead, Parow, Western Cape, South Africa|
|School(s)||Webner Street Primary School, Ravensmead
Ravensmead Secondary School, Ravensmead
|Educational Qualification||High School|
|Family||Father- Not Known
Mother- Bonny Philander (Duty Manager)
Brothers- Tyron Philander, Brandon Philander, Darryl Philander
|Address||A bungalow at 7de Laan, Cape Town|
|Controversies||• In July 2014, he was fined for ball tampering in a Test match against Sri Lanka at Galle, for which he was fined 75% of his match fees for breaching clause 42.1 of ICC.
• In April 2015, his name was dragged in the alleged quota controversy as after South Africa lost to New Zealand in the 2015 World Cup semi-final, South Africa's high-performance coach Mike Horn admitted that the team management was forced to select him in place of the in-form Kyle Abbott during the World Cup to meet the quota targets.
|Favourite Cricketers||Batsman- Jacques Kallis, Adam Gilchrist
Bowler- Glenn McGrath, Shaun Pollock
|Girls, Family & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Mandy Hudson (Chartered Accountant)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vernon Philander
- Does Vernon Philander smoke?: Not Known
- Does Vernon Philander drink alcohol?: Yes
- Vernon was born into a humble family of a lower-income area on the Cape Flats.
- He grew up with his three younger brothers and mother, in his grandparents’ home.
- He started playing cricket at the age of 8.
- At the age of 20, he gave his first autograph when he used to play for Cape Cobras.
- He made his cricket debut on his 22nd birthday with a bang as he took 4/42 in an ODI against Ireland in Belfast in 2007.
- It took him around 4 years to make into South Africa’s Test playing XI, and when he made it against Australia, where he single-handedly demolished the Australian batting line-up by taking his first 5-wicket haul.
- In 2012, he won the SA Sportsman of the Year Award.
- In 2013, he beat his teammate Dale Steyn to become the No.1 in the ICC Test bowlers ranking.
- The same year, he founded ‘Vernon Philander Foundation’, and also carries out a blanket drive every winter.
- He himself admits that his bowling style suits the new ball.
- He is an avid dog lover.