Hometown: Tamil Nadu
Husband: Thulasi Muthuram
Age: 50 Years
|Lekshmana Chandra Victoria Gowri India Today
|Victoria Gowri Muhturam LinkedIn - Victoria Gowri, L. Victoria Gowri The Wire
|Legal Practitioner, Former Politician
|Being appointed as an additional judge of the Madras High Court at Chennai on 7 February 2023 while a petition was being heard in the Supreme Court against her elevation to the Madras High Court The Hindu
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Date of Birth
|21 May 1973 (Monday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India
|Little Flower Higher Secondary School
|• Government Law College, Madurai
• Mother Teresa University, Kodaikanal
|• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from Government Law College, Madurai (1995)
• M.Sc. from Mother Teresa University, Kodaikanal VVictory Legal Associates
|In 2023, after Victoria Gowri's name was recommended by the Supreme Court Collegium for elevation as the additional judge of the Madras High Court, a group of 21 lawyers from the Madras High Court opposed the recommendation and filed a petition in the Supreme Court of India to cancel her appointment. The lawyers cited instances where Victoria Gowri was seen giving hate remarks against minorities like Muslims and Christainity. They also alleged that Victoria Gowri was associated with the Bharatiya Janata Party. On 7 February 2023, while Gowri was taking the oath as the additional judge of the Madras High Court, a Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) DY Chandrachud dismissed the petition, saying that she has been elevated based on her competence and suitability and that her eligibility was never in question. The bench further said that it cannot direct the Collegium to reconsider its recommendation. NDTV
|Relationships & More
|Thulasi Muthuram (works as a Manager of Maintenance at M/S Kanam Latex Industries Pvt. Ltd.)
|She has two daughters.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Victoria Gowri
- Victoria Gowri is an Indian jurist and former politician. On 7 February 2023, she got appointed as an additional judge of the Madras High Court at Chennai, while a petition against her elevation to the High Court was being heard in the Supreme Court of India.
- She grew up in a middle-class family in Tamil Nadu.
- While studying at Little Flower Higher Secondary School, Victoria was the pupil leader.
- After pursuing graduation in law, Victoria enrolled at the Madras Bar Council (now Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry) on 27 September 1995.
- She briefly practised law independently at the Sub-ordinate Judge’s Court at Karur, and then shifted her practice to Kanyakumari District Court.
- In 1997, Victoria Gowri started her legal company VVictory Legal Associates, one of the leading law firms in the Kanyakumari district. She became the first woman lawyer to establish an independent office in Kanyakumari District. The company initially had six advocates on its panel, specialising in Civil, Family, Criminal, and Writs & Appeals cases.
- Gowri started practising before the Madurai Bench of Madras High Court in 2006.
- In 2019, Victoria Gowri entered politics by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party. She participated in the party affairs actively till September 2020 when she was appointed as the Assistant Solicitor General of India at the Madurai Bench of Madras High Court.
- As per her Twitter bio, Victoria Gowri has served as the National General Secretary of BJP Mahila Morcha.
- The Supreme Court Collegium, on 17 January 2023, recommended Victoria Gowri’s name for elevation as an additional judge at the Madras High Court. Following the centre’s clearance on the matter, Victoria was appointed as an additional judge of the Madras High Court at Chennai on 7 February 2023. The oath was administered to her by the acting Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, T Raja.
- Victoria Gowri has been awarded best social worker of Kanyakumari District by Dr. B. C. Awards.
- She has also served as the District Secretary of Mangayar Managlam NGO for some time.
- Victoria Gowri is fluent in three languages- Hindi, English, and Malayalam.