|Full Name||Sharad Arvind Bobde|
|Profession||Chief Justice of India|
|Famous For||Being the 47th Chief Justice of India (18 November 2019 - 23 April 2021)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Date of Birth||24 April 1956 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||63 Years|
|School||St. Francis De'Sales High School, Nagpur, Maharashtra|
|College/University||• St. Francis De Sales College, Nagpur, Maharashtra
• Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar College of Law, Nagpur, Maharashtra
|Educational Qualification(s) Times of india||• Bachelor of Arts from the St. Francis De Sales College in 1975
• Bachelor of Laws from Nagpur University's Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar College of Law in 1978
|Hobbies||Playing Cricket, Photography|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
|Parents||Father- Arvind Bobde (former Advocate General of Maharashtra)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||Brother- Vinod Arvind Bobde (Elder; Former Senior Supreme Court Lawyer; Deceased)
|Salary (approx.)||2.80 lacs per month + other allowances (as the Chief justice of India) Wikipedia|
|Net Worth (approx.)||59.47 lacs INR (as in September 2013) The Week|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sharad Arvind Bobde
- SA Bobde comes from a family of lawyers. His grandfather was an advocate and his father, Arvind Bobde, was the Advocate General of Maharashtra in 1980 and 1985. His elder brother, Vinod Bobde, was an advocate of the Supreme Court of India and a constitutional expert.
- On 13 September 1978, he enrolled in the BAR Council of Maharashtra.
- He continuously practised in the Nagpur Bench of the Bombay High Court, and he also made appearances in the Bombay principal seat for 21 years.
- In 1998, he was designated as a Senior Advocate.
- On 29 March 2000, he was elevated to the Bench of the Bombay High Court as an Additional Judge.
- On 25 July 2012, he was honoured with a memento on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the BAR Association of Udaipur.
- He served as the Additional Judge of the Bombay High Court for 12 years till 15 October 2012.
- On 16 October 2012, he was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court, and he served on this position till 11 April 2013. On his last day as the Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court, the judges and lawyers of the High Court organized a ceremony to honour him.
- On 12 April 2013, he was appointed as a Judge of the Supreme Court of India. He was nominated by the then Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir and appointed by the then President of India Pranab Mukherjee.
- In 2016, he was a part of the three-judge bench which suspended the sales of firecrackers in the National Capital Region (NCR).
- Bobde is a cricket enthusiast and is often spotted playing cricket on holidays. He is also seen participating in the annual cricket match between the “Chief Justice of India XI” and the “Supreme Court Bar Association XI.”
- He is a motorcycle enthusiast and used to own a Royal Enfield Bullet in his younger days. Reportedly, in early 2019, he had an accident while he was test riding a high-end Harley Davidson motorcycle, and he fractured his ankle. However, it did not lead to any serious health concern.
- Bobde headed the Supreme Court panel which was hearing the allegations by a former Supreme Court staffer on the then Chief justice of India, Ranjan Gogoi. The panel did not find any substance in the allegations, and Gogoi was given a clean chit on 6 May 2019.
- Bobde is considered to be a close aide of Ranjan Gogoi.
- He is a dog lover and has two pet dogs, Sasha and Badshah. He also has a fish pond where he spends time every day after he comes home from work.
- On 18 October 2019, the Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi initiated the process for appointing the next CJI of India by writing a letter to the Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad; seeking the appointment of the next CJI and recommending Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde for the post.
Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi(file pic) recommended by writing a letter of appointment for second senior most judge Justice S A Bobde as the next Chief Justice of India. As per tradition, the sitting CJI has to write and recommend his immediate successor pic.twitter.com/5aTZYIdl0Z
— ANI (@ANI) October 18, 2019
- The day when Gogoi sent Bobde’s letter of recommendation to the Union Law Minister, Ravi Shankar Prasad, he distributed pastries in his office.
- On 17 November 2019, Ranjan Gogoi will be retiring and Bobde will take charge as the 47th Chief Justice of India on 18 November 2019 till his retirement on 23 April 2021.
- Bobde was one of the judges in the five-judge bench which had heard the Ayodhya lawsuit over the dispute of the Ram Janmbhoomi-Babri Masjid.
- Here’s an interesting video about S. A. Bobde’s biography-
- On 18 November 2019, at 9:30 AM, SA Bobde was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of India by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind in the presence of Prime Minister, Narendra Modi and Home Minister, Amit Shah.
References/Sources: [ + ]