Hometown: Kollam, Kerala
Age: 46 Years
|Profession(s)||Actor, Film Producer, Businessman|
|Famous role||Padmachandran a.k.a. Pappan in the Malayalam film Philips and the Monkey Pen (2013)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Debut||Film (As a child artist; Malayalam): Sooryan (1982)
Film (As an actor; Malayalam): 22 Female Kottayam (2012) as Benny
Film (As a film producer; Malayalam): Zachariayude Garbhinikal (2013)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Kerala State Film Award for Best Children’s Film for the film Philips and the Monkey Pen (2014)
• Flowers TV Award for Most Popular Film for his film ‘Aadu 2’ (2018)
• Mazhavil Entertainment Award for Best Villain (2019)
• National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam for the film ‘Home,’ presented by the President of India Droupadi Murmu in New Delhi (17 October 2023)
Note: In 2014, Vijay’s film production company ‘Friday Film House’ won seven Kerala State Film Awards in various fields.
|Date of Birth||14 May 1976|
|Age (as of 2022)||46 Years|
|School||St. Jude High School, Mukhathala, Kollam, Kerala|
|College/University||• Bangalore University, Bengaluru
• The American College, Madurai
|Educational Qualification(s)||• BBM
• MBA Facebook- Vijay Babu
|Controversy||Accused of Sexual Assault: On 26 April 2022, a female actor registered a sexual assault case against Vijay Babu at the Ernakulam South Police Station. In the complaint, she alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Vijay in a flat in Kochi many times on the pretext of offering roles in movies. Reportedly, Vijay went into hiding soon after the news broke out. Thereafter, another case was registered against Vijay for disclosing the identity of the complainant through Facebook. Later, Vijay moved to the Kerala High Court seeking anticipatory bail in the rape case. In the anticipatory bail plea, he alleged that the actor who filed a complaint against him was trying to blackmail him. She approached him seeking opportunities in the movies. He also alleged that even after their collaboration ended, she continued to stay in touch and eventually grew closer to him despite knowing that he was married and had a family. He also added that he was ready to produce the messages and pictures that the two had exchanged However, the Kerala High Court refused to accept his plea. Later, another woman accused Vijay of harassment. She claimed that Vijay tried to kiss her even though they barely knew each other for 20-30 minutes during a work-related meeting. She said that the incident shocked her and because of that, she stayed away from the film industry. She said,
"He was drinking alcohol and offered it to me as well. I refused and continued working. Suddenly, he just leaned to kiss me on my lips, without any question, without any consent. Luckily, my reflex action was super quick and I just pulled myself backwards and maintained a distance from him. I looked into his face, and he then asked me: Just one kiss?”
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Smitha (owns a hospital named Invivo in Kerala)
|Parents||Father- Subash Chandra Babu (died in 2021)
Mother- Maya Babu
|Siblings||Brother- Vinay Babu
Sister- Vijayalakshmi (Bindhu)
|Car Collection||• Mahindra XUV 500
• Mahindra Thar
• Toyota Vellfire
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 7. 6 crores (as of 2021) Asianet Newsable|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vijay Babu
- Vijay Babu is an Indian actor, film producer, and businessman. He works in the Malayalam film industry. Vijay is known for producing the Malayalam films Philips and the Monkey Pen (2013), Peruchazhi (2014), and Aadu (2015).
- He grew up in a middle-class family in Kollam, Kerala.
- Vijay developed an interest in acting when he was too young.
- He actively participated in plays while he was in school.
- Previously, Vijay’s wife, Smitha, worked at an MNC in Dubai.
- Vijay Babu began his media career with Star India in Mumbai. In 2002, he earned the title of ‘Best Employee of Star TV.’
- Subsequently, he moved to Dubai and established his own business.
- After a couple of years, he returned to India and started working as the COO at Asianet and Sitara TV in Hyderabad.
- Next, he relocated to Kerala and was appointed as the vice president of Surya TV in 2009.
- In 2013, he abandoned his media career and started working as an actor and film producer in the Malayalam film industry.
- Some of the popular Malayalam films in which Vijay has acted include “Philips and the Monkey Pen,” (2013), “Mr. Fraud” (2014), “Peruchazhi” (2014), “Double Barrel” (2015), “Nee-Na” (2015), and “Crossroad” (2017).
- Vijay gained immense popularity for playing the role of ‘Sarbath Shameer’ in the Aadu film series.
- Thereafter, he founded Friday Film House, an Indian film production company based in Cochin, Kerala, along with Sandra Thomas (Indian film producer and actress).
- The Malayalam film ‘Friday’ (2012; produced by Sandra Thomas) is considered to be the first production of Vijay’s production house ‘Friday Film House’ despite the fact that ‘Friday Film House’ was established after the success of the film ‘Friday.’
- In 2013, Vijay produced the Malayalam film “Zachariayude Garbhinikal.”
- He has also produced Malayalam films like “Philips and the Monkey Pen” (2013), “Peruchazhi” (2014), “Aadu Oru Bheegara Jeevi Aanu” (2015), “Aadu 2” (2017), and “Thrissur Pooram”(2019).
- He has also endorsed many food brands like Tolins Foods and RG Foods.
- His favourite pastimes include travelling and playing football.
- Vijay Babu loves cooking food. He often posts his cooking pictures and videos on his social media accounts. Vijay has also participated in many cooking competitions.
- Vijay Babu is often spotted consuming alcohol at various parties and events.
- An avid animal lover, Vijay owns a pet dog named COCO and a Macaw Parrot named Rio.
- He is well versed in four languages, English, Sanskrit, Malayalam, and Hindi.
- Vijay is very particular about his fitness and visits the gym regularly.
- In 2020, he became the first producer in the Malayalam film industry to opt for a direct-to-OTT release with his film Sufiyum Sujatayum. The film was released on Amazon Prime Video.
- Vijay has funded many experimental films in the Malayalam film industry. He is also known for supporting many budding filmmakers in the Malayalam film industry.
- In an interview, Vijay Babu revealed that he saw the shooting of a film for the first time when he was 5 years old.
- In a conversation with a media person, Vijay Babu revealed that his father and actor Jayan were classmates and family friends. He added that his father was deeply hurt by the demise of Jayan and decided to make a film titled ‘Sooryan’ in his memory. He thought of contributing the profit generated from the film to help Jayan’s family. Vijay appeared in the film as a child artist. The film was a huge loss and caused financial stress to his father.
- Vijay Babu’s father owned a lodge called ‘Mookambika’ in Kollam and most of the celebrities stayed at his father’s lodge whenever they were in Kollam (due to his father’s cinematic connections).
- Initially, his parents were not happy with his decision to pursue acting as his career. In an interview, Vijay revealed that when he decided to study at Pune Film Institute, his mother asked him to first earn a degree in business and then pursue a course in acting.