|Native Name||前澤 友作|
|Profession(s)||Entrepreneur & Art Collector|
|Famous For||Being announced the first private customer to ride around the Moon by SpaceX|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 121 lbs
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||22 November 1975|
|Age (as in 2017)||42 Years|
|Birthplace||Kamagaya, Chiba Prefecture, Japan|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Kamagaya, Chiba Prefecture, Japan|
|School||Waseda Jitsugyo High School, Tokyo, Japan|
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Educational Qualification||High School|
|Religion||Not Known (he has a keen interest in Buddhist statues, especially those from the Heian Period (794-1185)) Japan Times|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Playing the Guitar & Drums, Traveling, Artifact Collection|
|Awards, Honors, Achievements||He has been awarded with Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Government
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Name Not Known|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Children||1 (Name Not Known)|
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known (an Accountant)
Mother- Name Not Known (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brother- 1 (Name Not Known)
|Car(s) Collection||Bugatti Chiron, Aston Martin One-77, A Custom Pagani Zonda, Aston Martin Valkyrie
|Net Worth (approx.)||$2.9 Billion (as in 2018) Forbes|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Yusaku Maezawa
- Does Yusaku Maezawa smoke?: Not Known
- Does Yusaku Maezawa drink alcohol?: Yes
- Yusaku Maezawa was born in a modest family in Chiba Prefecture.
- He grew up in Chiba Prefecture with a keen interest in understanding how things are made.
- In an interview, Maezawa said-
“When construction work took place in our neighborhood, I would go and observe the building site.”
- Before switching to drums in his high school, he used to play the guitar in his middle school. He switched to drums; because he thought there was always an overwhelming lack of drummers.
- While attending the Waseda Jitsugyo High School in 1991, Maezawa formed a band with his classmates called “Switch Style.” Band’s first EP was released in 1993.
- Gradually, his band drew a following and was picked up by a record label; leading to his first taste of success.
- After graduating from high school, he did not attend the college; instead, he moved to the United States with a girlfriend.
- While in the United States, Maezawa started collecting CDs and records.
- In 1995, he returned to Japan with a collection of CDs and records and started selling imported albums and CDs through the mail. It became the basis for his first company, “Start Today” that he launched in 1998 when he was 22. He took the company’s name from the title of an album by New York-based punk band, “Gorilla Biscuits.”
- In the same year, i.e., 1998, his company signed with the label BMG Japan.
- In 2000, his company went online, offering niche fashion apparel in addition to music.
- Around 2001-2002, Maezawa quit touring along with his band, and he gives the reason-
“I was president of my company while touring around the country with the band,” he said. “When it became physically impossible to handle both, I chose my company — that was around when I was 25 or 26.”
- In 2004, his company, Start Today launched Zozotown; a retail clothing website, which initially introduced products from 17 apparel stores.
- In 2007, Start Today was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange’s Mothers section for high-growth startups and continued to expand over the next decade.
- A company that began with just four staff members now (as of 2018) employs nearly 900; featuring around 6,300 brands with over 520,000 items.
- He has also introduced ZOZO, a custom-fit clothing brand, and the ZOZOSUIT, an at-home measurement system.
- Maezawa is so attached to his hometown Chiba that unlike many startups that opt their headquarters in Central Tokyo, Star Today’s headquarter has remained in the Chiba Prefecture since 2001. He says-
“I feel comfortable in Chiba. There’s more fresh air and you can see the ocean.”
- In 2012, he founded “Contemporary Art Foundation” in Tokyo; with a goal of “supporting young artists as a pillar of the next generation of contemporary art.”
- During an interview, he revealed that he was planning to open a museum in Chiba where he can showcase his vast collection of art, furniture, and antiques.
- In 2017, he won the auction for a painting by Basquiat for $110.5 million.
- In September 2018, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk revealed that Yusaku Maezawa will be the first commercial passenger to attempt a flyby around the Moon onboard a SpaceX BFR rocket, which is slated to take place in 2023. Six to eight artists would accompany him as a part of an art project he has created called #dearMoon.
- Maezawa’s many ventures are driven by a common principle, his enthusiasm. He says-
“Playing in a band, selling records through mail order and selling clothes — these are all things I love doing,” he said. “If that can please others, then I couldn’t be happier.”