|Famous For||Being the first Indian transwoman from her community who created history by filing the nomination papers to contest for the Kerala Assembly elections from the Democratic Social Justice Party (DSJP) in April 2021.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||6 October 1993 (Wednesday)
|Age (at the time of death)||28 Years|
|Birthplace||Kollam (Quilon), India|
|Place of Death||Edappally, Kochi, India|
|School||St.Aloysius Higher Secondary School Kollam|
|Educational Qualification||Alex was a higher secondary drop-out. She The People|
|Controversy||In July 2021, Kumari imposed the negligence charges on the doctor who performed a sex-reassignment surgery on her last year. She complained that she was not able to work properly due to severe body pain even after a year of the surgery. The News Minute In an interview, she said,
I’m a victim of gross medical negligence. My private part looks like a piece of meat, it has no resemblance to a vagina. I want to conduct a resurgery, I want justice.”
|Parents||Father- S Alexander
Mother- Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anannyah Kumari Alex
- Anannyah Kumari Alex was the first Indian transwoman from her community who filed the nomination papers to contest for the Kerala Assembly elections from the Democratic Social Justice Party (DSJP) from the Vengara Constituency in Malappuram district in April 2021.
- Reportedly, Anannyah left her studies after 12th class because she was being harassed a lot about her gender. Ananya had told in an interview that she had left the house at the age of 18. To feed herself, she begged, cleaned the sewer, and also worked in a petrol pump. She further added that she wanted to create a safe society for women and transgenders.
- She was a popular radio jockey, a known celebrity make-up artist, and a stage show anchor.
- In 2018, Anannyah won the Ms Kochi Trans Diamond title.
- In April 2020, Anannyah shared her picture on her social media account in which she compared her body transformation over a decade.
- Anannyah contested against the Muslin League PK Kunhalikutty and Left Democratic Front candidate P Jiji in April 2021. However, she stopped campaigning for her party a day before the polling in May 2021. The reason behind this dismissal was that she allegedly received death threats from other leaders of her own party. Soon, Kumari publically appealed to the general public not to vote for her party, DSJP. She withdrew from the candidature position on the last day of the polling. She The People
- Anannyah underwent sex reassignment surgery in June 2020. In July 2021, she imposed harsh allegations on the doctor who conducted her surgery through a video. She stated in the video that she was not able to work properly due to severe physical pain. She said,
Even when I stand for a longer time, sneeze, laugh or even brush my teeth, I have severe discomforts. I have also been experiencing breathing difficulties. I had wished for a sex reassignment surgery that will give me a vagina like a woman’s.. but my private part looks as if it has been cut ruthlessly with a knife. It cannot be called a vagina.. It is a surgery which is conducted very neatly and cleanly in India and elsewhere. I’m standing before you as a victim of gross medical negligence.”
She further added,
I want to regain my health, I want resurgey. I’m talking as a representative of many others like me. There are scores of people who have been victims of this. The money for the surgeries are painstakingly made by many through sex work, pooling from here and there, and even begging. And hospitals even charge more than what had been told before. But after all that, when this is the result people get, what are they supposed to do? Why are marginalised people like us being attacked like this for money?”
- Days after Anannyah faced media to reveal her medical pain, she was found dead on 21 July 2021 in her Edappally, Kochi apartment. The cause of the death was suspected to be suicide by the local police. Police also stated that she was hanging from a fan in her bedroom.
- Veena George, the Health Minister of Kerala said in a statement on 22 July 2021 that
A transgender organisation had also given a complaint regarding this. An expert committee will be formed to study issues related to sex reassignment surgery.”
- Reportedly, Anannyah changed and did multiple jobs as she was under financial pressure. She The People
- Anannyah Kumari Alex was a higher secondary drop-out. She wanted to continue her higher education. In an interview with the media persons, she expressed her views,
Only through education, any community can attain self-esteem and recognition. For us to hold our heads up, we need solid education.”
- Anannyah was also seen walking in fashion shows at various events.
- On 22 July 2021, Anannyah’s father told media persons that Anannyah was facing physical issues and maybe these hardships were the reason behind her suicide. He explained,
Anannyah was my blood and I lost her. She had told me that hospital authorities were behaving in a hostile manner. I called her three weeks ago and she told me that she was facing hardships, including physical issues. It seems SRS and complications led her to take this extreme step.”