Some Lesser Known Facts About Angela Bassett
- Does Angela Bassett smoke?: Not Known
- Does Angela Bassett drink alcohol?: Yes
- Angela Evelyn Bassett’s middle name was given to her in the honour of her aunt Evelyn.
- Her parents got separated and she was relocated from Winston-Salem, North Carolina to St. Petersburg, Florida, after the separation.
- She even got to see her father after a long span at her grandmother’s funeral.
- In her young age, she had a star crush for the ‘Jackson 5’ and always dreamt of marrying a member of the family group.
- Back in school, she was quite an active in curricular activities, she was a part of the ‘Upward Bound College Prep Program,’ the debate team, student government, drama club and choir.
- During her high school, she became the first African-American from Boca Ciega High School to be admitted to the National Honor Society.
- She was also classmates with actor Charles S. Dutton at Yale University.
- She graduated and post graduated from Yales University and also she met her future husband Courtney B. Vance, a 1986 graduate of the drama school.
- She worked as a receptionist for a beauty salon and as a photo researcher after graduation.
- Later, she started discovering the opportunities with theatre in the New York theatre and one of her first New York performances was in 1985 when she appeared in J. E. Franklin’s ‘Black Girl’ at Second Stage Theatre.
- In 1985, Angela made her first TV appearance as a prostitute in the TV series- Doubletake.
- She shot to fame with her appearance in the films titled Boyz n the Hood in 1991 and Malcolm X in 1992.
- She won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress and moreover, was nominated for Academy Awards for her unique portrayal role of Turner.
- She became the first African-American to win the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for ‘Best Actress’ in Motion Picture Musical or Comedy.
- She has been well noted for portraying real-life African-American women, as well as “strong women” all through her acting stint.
- She is also a supporter of programs for the arts, especially for youth. She annually attends events for children with diabetes and those in foster homes.
- She is an active ambassador of UNICEF for the United States.
- After Angela failed seven times in her fertility treatments, she and her husband are now blessed with a twin: a son and a daughter.
- She co-authored the book titled-‘Friends: A Love Story,’ along with her husband who is a memoir about their bond as a partner and struggles faced to become parents.
- She is hardcore is a fitness freak and loves doing a workout, and her favourite exercise is bicep curls.
- She is also a voice-over artist and provided her voice for the film Meet the Robinsons (2007 ).
- She even got the opportunity to become the voice of ‘First Lady- Michelle Obama’ in the episode “Stealing First Base” of The Simpsons.
- She played a character of a three-breasted witch, Desiree Dupree, in the famous TV series- ‘American Horror Stories.’
- In 2014, she did her directorial debut with TV film “Whitney,” a film based on the life of Whitney Houston.
- She is also an activist and politician as she participated as a black woman in the re-election campaign of Barack Obama and also supported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)