Age: 62 Years
Wife: Shrilekha Govil
|Famous Role||"Lord Rama" in Ramanand Sagar's "Ramayan" (1987-88)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Debut||Film: Paheli (1979)
TV: Vikram Aur Betal (1988)
|Date of Birth||12 January 1958 (Sunday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||62 Years|
|Birthplace||Ramnagar, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh|
|University||Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut|
|Educational Qualification||BSc (Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut)|
|Political Inclination||BJP |
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Amal Govil
Daughter- Sonika Govil
|Parents||Father- Chandra Prakash Govil
Mother- Name not known
Lesser Known Facts about Arun Govil
- Does Arun Govil drink alcohol?: Yes
- Arun Govil, who is best known for his role as Lord Rama in Ramanand Sagar‘s “Ramayan” was born in Ramnagar, Meerut.
- Arun’s daughter, Sonika Govil studies in the USA, whereas his son, who has got married in 2010, works at a bank in Mumbai.
- Arun had just begun his career when he met Shrilekha, who was then a celebrity designer. Later, she even acted in a few Bollywood movies from the late 80s to mid-90s.
- Arun Govil’s father wanted him to seek a government job, but fate had something special in store for him. But, the urge to make an identity for himself drove him to the acting field. After completing his studies, he moved to Mumbai to join his brother’s business.
- Rajshri Productions, the makers of Arun’s debut film, Paheli (1979), loved his work in the movie, and subsequently signed a contract with him for three more movies, which were Sawan Ko Aane Do (1979), Raadha Aur Seeta (1979), and Saanch Ko Aanch Nahin (1979).
- Sawan Ko Aane Do (1979) was a mega-hit of its era. The evergreen music of Sawan Ko Aane Do is still very popular among the people of India.
- He has played significant roles in many Bollywood blockbuster movies. Arun Govil also appeared alongside legendary Sridevi in the movie “Himmatwala” in 1983.
- Ramanand Sagar cast Arun to play King Vikramaditya in his fantasy television series “Vikram Aur Betaal” released in 1988. The show was telecast on Doordarshan at 4:30 pm every Sunday and it was enormously loved by its audience.
- Then came the role which would transcend his career to indefinite heights, the role of Lord Rama in Ramanand Sagar’s iconic Indian historical-drama television series “Ramayan.” Initially, he got rejected in the Ramayan auditions for the role of Lord Rama. But makers of the show reconsidered their decision, and eventually, they selected Arun Govil for the character.
- Arun, who was a chain-smoker, quit smoking cigarettes while playing the role of Lord Rama; he perceived that people wouldn’t like to see a cigarette in the hand of a man who is depicting the character of a god, especially, in a country where faith and religion are a fundamental aspect of people’s life.
- He has given his voice for the Indo-Japanese animated movie “Ramayana- The Legend Of Prince Rama” (1992).
- Until now, over 33 years after the telecast of “Ramayan,” people still remember him as Lord Rama. They even touch his feet as an expression of their devotion to Lord Rama.
- In March 2020, a photo of Arun Govil went viral on social media in which he was seen watching Ramayan on Doordarshan along with his family when there was a nationwide lockdown in the wake of Corona pandemic. The epic television series of Ramanand Sagar was re-telecast on Doordarshan in March 2020, nearly after 32 years of its original telecast in the late ’80s.
References/Sources: [ + ]