Marital Status: Divorced
Age: 53 Years
Hometown: Kalyani, Kolkata
|Profession(s)||Politician, Former Actress, Playback Singer|
|Famous Role||‘Draupadi’ in the Indian epic television series “Mahabharat” (1988)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Debut||Film (Bengali): Streer Patra (1988)
Film (Hindi): Ek Din Achanak (1989)
Film (Telugu): Naa Ille Naa Swargam (1991)
Film (Kannada): Police Matthu Dada (1991)
Film (Assamese): Ranangini (1992)
Film (Odia): Ranbhoomi (1995)
Film (English): Bow Barracks Forever (2004)
TV (Bengali): Muktabandha (1986)
TV (Hindi): Ganadevta (1988)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Smita Patil Memorial Award for Best Actress for the TV series “Mahabharat” (1989)
• Kalakar Award for Best Actress for the TV show “Mukta Bandha” (1993)
• Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film “Ujan” (1996)
• Kalakar Award for Best Actress for the film “Yugant” (1998)
• Kalakar Award for Best Actress for the television series “Ingeet” (2002)
• Dhaka International Film Festival Award for Best Actress for the film “Krantikaal” (2006)
• Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film “Antarmahal” (2006)
• National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the film “Abosheshey” (2011)
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 2015
• Contested the West Bengal Legislative Assembly Elections from Howrah North and lost to the Trinamool Congress candidate, Laxmi Ratan Shukla
• Nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 2016 (In the place of Navjot Singh Sidhu)
|Date of Birth||25 November 1966 (Frirday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||53 Years|
|Birthplace||Kalyani, Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Hometown||Kalyani, Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|School||Beltala Girls’ High School, Kolkata|
|College/University||Jogamaya Devi College, Kolkata|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science|
|Hobbies||Reading Novels, Listening to Music|
|Controversies||• In 2017, the key accused in the Jalpaiguri child trafficking case alleged of Roopa's involvement in the case, after which, Ganguly was summoned by the Crime Investigation Department for interrogation.
• Ganguly stirred a controversy for making controversial remarks about women's safety in West Bengal. She attacked the Mamta Banerjee government by saying, "“Send their (Trinamool workers) wives and daughters to Bengal… If they are able to survive there for 15 days without getting raped, then tell me.” This enraged the then West Bengal government, who registered an FIR against her.
• Roopa attracted a controversy for disclosing many appalling things about her life in the TV show "Sach Ka Saamna.” In the show she revealed that she had love affair outside her marriage. She even confessed that many times she was asked for sexual favours from directors in return of roles in Bollywood.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Dibyendu (Playback Singer)
|Husband/Spouse||Dhrubo Mukerjee (Mechanical Engineer; 1992-2006)|
|Children||Son- Akash Mukherjee
|Parents||Father- Samarendra Lal Ganguly
Mother- Juthika Ganguly
Some Lesser Known Facts About Roopa Ganguly
- Roopa Ganguly was born in a middle-class family in Kalyani, Kolkata.
- She was inclined towards acting from a very young age.
- After graduating from Kolkata’s Jogamaya Devi College, Roopa bagged a few Bengali TV serials.
- She earned recognition in 1986 after appearing in the TV serial “Muktabandha.”
- Her film debut came in 1988 with the Bengali film “Streer Patra.”
- Subsequently, she gained immense popularity by playing the role of ‘Draupadi’ in the Indian epic TV series “Mahabharat.”
- Ganguly has worked in many popular TV serials including “Karam Apna Apna,” “Love Story,” “Vakt Batyega Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya,” “Kasturi,” and “Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo.”
- In 1992, she tied the knot with Dhrubo Mukerjee.
- Roopa suffered a lot in her domestic life; as her husband could not take her success and denied paying for her basic necessities. The couple got divorced in 2006 due to indifferences.
- After her divorce, Roopa stayed in a live-in-relationship with Dibyendu (playback singer) for a while. Later, they ended their relationship.
- In 2015, Roopa joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- Roopa has attempted suicide thrice but got saved everytime. She revealed during an interview that she had left her career for her marriage and moved to Kolkata. She became a domesticated housewife. When she was denied money for her daily expenses by her husband, she attempted suicide.
- In 2009, Ganguly hosted the show “Hello Bolchi Friends” on Friends FM.
- Reportedly, in May 2016, Roopa’s car was attacked by the Trinamool Party workers in Diamond Harbour area of the South 24 Parganas district during the West Bengal Legislative Assembly Elections.
- Besides being an actor and politician, Ganguly is also trained in Rabindra Sangeet. She is also a classical dancer.
- She is praised for her versatility and accent adaptation.
- Ganguly is one of the Board Members of the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan.