|Profession(s)||Cricket Umpire, Cricketer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Cricket (As a player)|
|International Debut||Asad Rauf did not play international cricket.|
|Domestic Team(s)||• 1983-1991: National Bank of Pakistan
• 1983-1984: Lahore
• 1981-1983: Pakistan Railways
• 1977-1978: Pakistan Universities
|Bowling Style||Right-arm off-spin|
|Cricket ( As an Umpire)|
|First Match||ODI- Pakistan v/s Sri Lanka (2000)
Test- Bangladesh v/s Zimbabwe (2005)
T20- India v/s Afghanistan (2012)
|Last Match||IPL- Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in Hyderabad (2013)|
|Date of Birth||12 May 1956 (Saturday)|
|Birthplace||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Date of Death||14 September 2022|
|Place of Death||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Age (at the time of death)||66 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac arrest The Times of India|
|Hometown||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|College/University||Government College University Lahore, Lahore|
|Controversies||Allegations of Sexual Exploitation
In 2012, Asad was accused of sexual exploitation by the Mumbai-based model Leena Kapoor. She filed an FIR against Asad claiming that he denied to marry her after being in a relationship for more than six months. She also shared some pictures of her and Asad together in a hotel room. In the FIR, she further said,
He told me about his marriage and said that his wife lives somewhere in Lahore, Pakistan. But he said that he was a Muslim and he was allowed to marry twice. He also said that his wife and children will come to our marriage."
In an interview, Asad denied the relationship with Leena and said that Leena took the photos claiming to be one of his fans. He further said that she did it just for to become popular. In the interview, he further said,
I am 56 and happily married with two kids and at my age how can I promise to marry anyone else. I don't know why she is doing this but if she continues to defame me and cause me and my family pain than I will take legal action against her. The allegations levelled by her are preposterous and she is just making this story up to gain cheap publicity and fame." The Times of India
2013 IPL spot-fixing
In 2013, Asad attracted controversy when ICC withdrew him from the panel of match officials for the 2013 Champions Trophy because his name was highlighted in the IPL spot-fixing. On 21 September 2013, Mumbai police charged him for illegal betting, cheating, and fraud in a Mumbai court. He was found guilty in 2016 after which he was banned for five years by the ICC. However, Asad Rauf always denied the charges. In an interview in 2022, he said,
The alleged incident happened in 2013 and BCCI was sleeping for three years. They opened an investigation in 2016 and it was a forced investigation as there was no truth in it. They failed to produce any concrete evidence against me. I still have the judge’s decision, which says that there is no evidence in the case." The Hindu
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Leena Kapoor (model)
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known
Fahad Malik (sales manager)
Note: The name of his other son is not known, but according to media sources, he is a special child. The Indian Express
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Tahir Rauf, Adnan Rauf|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Asad Rauf
- Asad Rauf was a Pakistani cricket player and umpire, who was a member of the ICC Elite Umpire Panel from 2006 to 2013.
- He made a debut in first-class cricket on 4 November 1977 in a match held between Pakistan Universities and Habib Bank Ltd.
- He played his last first-class match on 28 October 1990 which was between the National Bank of Pakistan and Pakistan National Shipping Corporation.
- He played his first match as a part of Pakistan Railways on 17 March 1981 in a list-A match held between Pakistan Railways and House Building Finance Corporation.
- His last list-A match was held on 2 October 1991 which was between the National Bank of Pakistan and Pakistan National Shipping Corporation.
- Rauf became an umpire in 1998.
- In 2004, he was included in the International Panel of Umpires.
- In 2005, he was an umpire in the boxing day test between Australia and South Africa.
- In 2006, he was promoted to the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires. After his promotion, he umpired in 47 Tests, 98 one-day internationals, and 23 Twenty20 internationals. He has also umpired many IPL matches.
- In 2008, Asad was the umpire in an India v/s Australia test match in Mohali in which Virender Sehwag got out on Mitchell Johnson’s ball. Australia appealed to Asad, but he did not declare him out. After a few years, in an interview, Virender Sehwag said that he had bribed Asad for not declaring him out. In the interview, he said,
Asad Rauf had a hobby of branded T-shirts, shoes and spectacles. At the time, I was a brand ambassador for Adidas. So shoes, glasses. I joked with him about the T-shirt and told him not to give out while batting. Surprisingly, he did just that.”
- In 2013, it was reported that that he used to smoke even after undergoing two open heart surgeries. The Indian Express
- In 2022, it was reported that Asad ran a second-hand shoes and clothes shop in Lahore’s Landa Bazaar.
- In an interview, he said that umpiring in Pakistan needed to be improved. In the interview, he further added,
Umpiring is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination. The standard of umpiring in Pakistan has gone down because of a variety of reasons, which includes lack of monetary incentives and absence of technical people for the role.”