Some Lesser Known Facts About Barun Bhujel
- Did Barun Bhujel smoke?: Not Known
- Did Barun Bhujel drink alcohol?: Not Known
- GJM leader, Bhujel, was an elected municipal councillor from ward no. 16 of Kalimpong district in West Bengal.
- Owing to his alleged involvement in the 104-day long unrest in the hills, state police had detained him in June 2017, after which he was lodged in Siliguri jail.
- Bhujel was reportedly suffering from a chronic liver disease and pancreatitis for quite a long time and needed extensive medical support.
- Soon as the news of his death hit the news channels, Kalimpong went into the state of unrest once again as people chocked streets and almost every shop and business in the area remained shut.
- His family members, including wife, father, and younger brother alleged the police authorities for his death. According to them, Barun would have been alive, had it not been the delay in his treatment. They said, no one from his family members was given permission to see him, even when his health deteriorated.
- Barun’s wife, Sabita, wrote a letter to I.G. (Prisons) of West Bengal police asking a thorough probe into the matter of her husband’s death and asking compensation.
- In a video message, his brother Biren said, he was healthy when arrested, and added that his brother was kept like a dog with handcuffs on at the North Bengal Medical Hospital.
- GJM supremo, Bimal Gurung, who has been absconding since August end, said in a video run in the condolence meeting in Kalimpong, “It was police torture which finally led to his death.”
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)