Some Lesser Known Facts About Benjamin Netanyahu
- Does Benjamin Netanyahu smoke?: Not Known
- He was born in Tel Aviv Israel to a Warsaw-born father and an Israeli-born mother.
- He found via a DNA test that he also has some Sephardi Jewish ancestry.
- He attained his Primary education in Jerusalem. His 6th-grade teacher said that he was polite, courteous, and helpful; that Netanyahu’s work was ‘punctual & responsible’; and that he was disciplined, friendly, brave, cheerful, and obedient.
- He lived with his family in Philadelphia (USA) between 1956 and 1958, and again from 1963 to 1967.
- In 1967, he returned to Israel and served for 5 years as a combat soldier in the Israel Defense Forces.
- During the 1967–70 War of Attrition, he took part in various cross-border assault raids and rose to become a team leader in the unit.
- In May 1972, he was shot in the shoulder while rescuing the hijacked Sabena Flight 571.
- In 1973, he took part in the Yom Kippur War.
- At the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), he completed his SM Degree (Master of Science) in just 2 and half years (that would normally take 4 years).
- During his stay in the United States, he changed his name to ‘Benjamin Ben Nitai’ to make it easier for Americans to pronounce his name.
- While pursuing his doctorate in 1976, his older brother Yonatan Netanyahu was killed in a counter-terrorism hostage-rescue mission Operation Entebbe.
- Between 1976 and 1978, Netanyahu worked as an Economic Consultant for the Boston Consulting Group in Boston, Massachusetts where he was a colleague of Mitt Romney and developed a lasting friendship with him.
- He returned to Israel in 1978 and ran the Jonathan Netanyahu Anti-Terror Institute (an NGO devoted to the study of terrorism).
- He made his first connections with Israeli politicians during his stint as the director of marketing for Rim Industries in Jerusalem from 1980 to 1982.
- While living in New York during the 1980s, he became friends with Fred Trump (father of Donald Trump).
- In June 1996, he became the youngest ever Prime Minister of Israel.
- In August 2005, he resigned from the post of Minister of Finance in protest over the plan to withdraw Jewish settlers from Gaza & return their land to the control of Palestine.
- In September 2010, Netanyahu met with Barack Obama (the then President of the United States) in Washington to restart peace talks between Israel and Palestine.
- In February 2017, he met Donal Trump (the US President) and praised his leadership handling the threat of terrorism.
- He is very fond of Ice Cream and according to sources, his average consumption is 14 kg of Ice Cream/week.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)