Hometown: Keonjhar, Odisha
Age: 25 Years
Caste: Scheduled Tribe
|Famous For||Being the Youngest Member of Parliament in India in 2019|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 121 lbs
|Political Party||Biju Janata Dal (BJD)
|Political Journey||• Met the Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on 1 April 2019 and joined the BJD
• Naveen Patnaik announced her name as the BJD's candidate from the Keonjhar Constituency on 2 April 2019
• Won the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections from the Keonjhar Constituency of Odisha on 23 May 2019
|Date of Birth||16 June 1994|
|Age (as in 2019)||25 Years|
|Birthplace||Tikargumura Village, Odisha|
|School||Local School of Keonjhar, Odisha|
|College/University||Institute of Technical Education & Research (ITER), Bhubaneshwar, Odisha|
|Educational Qualification||B.Tech. from the Institute of Technical Education & Research (ITER), Bhubaneshwar in 2017|
|Address||Village Tikargumura, District Keonjhar, Odisha|
|Controversies||• On 6 April 2019, members of the BJP pointed out discrepancies in her nomination papers. She had filed her father's name as Sanjeeb Murmu, but her father's name in his voter ID card was Sanjeeb Sinha. Later, it was also revealed that in college, her father's name was listed as Kartik Chandra Soren. Members of Odisha BJP met the Election Commission to suspend her nomination. Chandrani clarified that her father's real name is Sanjeeb Murmu, but in some official documents, his name is mentioned as Sinha. Kartik Chandra Soren was her local guardian when she was pursuing B.Tech.
• While she was campaigning, a morphed video and some objectionable images of her were shared on WhatsApp and other social media platforms. The police took action, and the accused were arrested. The police clarified that the video and the images were fake, and they were being circulated just to defame Chandrani.
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Sanjeeb Murmu (Government Officer)
Mother- Urvashi (Retired Government Employee)
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019)||Movable: Rs. 3.40 Lacs
Cash: Rs. 20,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. Rs. 4,000
Jewellery: 100 gm Gold worth Rs. 3.20 Lacs
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1 Lac + Other Allowances (as a Member of Parliament)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 3.40 Lacs (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Chandrani Murmu
- Chandrani Murmu is an Indian politician from Odisha. She is the youngest Member of Parliament in India in 2019, at the age of 25. She is from the Biju Janata Dal (BJD).
- Two months before the General Elections of 2019, she was searching for a government job; as after completing her engineering, she couldn’t get a job.
- She is a mechanical engineer, and she wanted to work in a private company. After trying her luck in private companies, she started looking at government offers. She wanted to be a probationary officer in a bank or an assistant section officer in the Odisha Government.
- Her maternal grandfather, Harihar Soren, was a Congress MP from the Keonjhar Constituency of Odisha in 1980 and 1984. She always wanted to get into politics, but it was a wish that she kept to herself.
- Her uncle, Harmohan Soren, suggested her to contest the Lok Sabha Elections. Chandrani thought he was joking and did not take his suggestion seriously, but her uncle talked to her about it the next day and she agreed.
- Her uncle was a social worker and knew many members of the BJD. He arranged a meeting with the Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik on 1 April 2019. On 2 April 2019, Naveen Patnaik announced her name as the BJD’s candidate from the Keonjhar Constituency.
- On 23 May 2019, it was declared that she won from the Keonjhar Constituency.