Hometown: Tamil Nadu, India
Caste: Scheduled Caste
|Real Name/Full Name||Cheran Pandiyan|
|Profession||Director, Actor, Producer, Writer|
|Famous For||Senthil Kumar in Tamil film 'Autograph' (2004)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms-65 kg
in pounds-143 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Tamil Directorial/Writing: Bharathi Kannamma (1997)Tamil Film: Porkkaalam (1997)|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||2000- National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues for film 'Vetri Kodi Kattu' (2000)
2004- National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for film 'Autograph' (2004)
Dinakaran-Medimix Award for Best film 'Autograph' (2004)
Dinakaran-Medimix Award for Best Director for film 'Autograph' (2004)
2005- National Film Award for Best Film on Family Welfare for film 'Thavamai Thavamirundhu' (2005)
Tamil Nadu Progressive Writers Association Award for Best Writer and Director for film 'Thavamai Thavamirundhu' (2005)
National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil for film 'Aadum Koothu' (2007)
2011- Jaya TV Award for Best Actor for film Yuddham Sei (2011)
Note: Along with these, he has many other awards to his name between 1997 and 2015.
|Date of Birth||12 December 1965|
|Age (as in 2018)||52 Years|
|Birthplace||Pazhayoorpatti, Melur, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hometown||Pazhayoorpatti, Melur, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hobbies||Writing, Listening to music|
|Controversies||• In 2013, his daughter 'Dhamini' filed a complaint against him by claiming that he had an objection to her relationship with a person named 'Chandrasekhar' (Chandru). She also said that her father was threatening her boyfriend. Initially, Dhamini told the Madras High Court that she would like to go with Chandru’s mother but later, she decided to go with her parents.
• In 2016, during the audio launch of the Tamil Film “Kanna Pinna,” Cheran lashed out against Sri Lankan Tamils of being responsible for making unauthorised copies of Tamil Films. He was quoted saying, “I came to know that it was Sri Lankan Tamils who indulge in online leaks by releasing new films in an illegal manner. The film fraternity as such has raised its voice in favour of Sri Lankan Tamils on several occasions. Coming to think of it, I feel ashamed to have supported those who eat away our money and push us to penury.”
• In 2017, he accused the General Secretary of the Nadigar Sangam 'Vishal' of being “selfish, power hungry and insensitive” in a seven-page letter.
• He also accused actor Karthi and Nadigar Sangam General Secretary 'Vishal' of disrespecting him when he approached them for films.
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Not Known
Nivedha Priyadharshini (Film Producer)
|Parents||Father- Pandiyan (Projector Operator in Vellalur touring theatre)
Mother- Kamala (Primary school teacher)
|Siblings||Brother- Not Known
|Favourite Singer||Sathyan, G. V. Prakash Kumar|
- Does Cheran smoke?: Not Known
- Does Cheran drink alcohol?: Yes
- While Cheran was in school, he used to act in dramas.
- He started his career as an assistant director and assisted director K. S. Ravikumar’s for the film ‘Puriyadha Pudhir.’
- He has worked as an assistant/associate director for nearly eleven films.
- In 1997, he wrote and directed his first Tamil film ‘Bharathi Kannamma.’ The film received positive reviews from the critics and it was later remade in the Kannada language as ‘Usire’ (2001).
- Cheran turned actor-cum-director with the Tamil movie “Porkkaalam.” In 2004, he appeared in the lead role of “Senthil Kumar” in the Tamil Film “Autograph.” Cheran not only played the lead role in “Autograph” but was also the director, writer, and producer of the film. The movie went on to become a super hit and was screened four times in Canada at the Montreal World Film Festival.
- He also produced several Tamil films like ‘Autograph’ (2004), ‘Azhagai Irukkirai Bayamai Irukkirathu’ (2006), ‘Aadum Koothu’ (2007), ‘Muran’ (2011), and ‘JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai’ (2015).
- Cheran launched his own publishing house, ‘Cheran Noolagam’ where he published the Tamil novel ‘Porum Valiyum (War & Pain).’
- He is the founder of ‘C2H’ (Cinema2Home) organization that curb out the copyright infringement in Tamil Cinema.
- In 2019, he appeared as a contestant in the season 3 of the reality show Bigg Boss (Tamil).
- Participation in the Montreal World Film Festival was a dream come true for him.
- Cheran prefers Hogenakkal Waterfalls, India over Niagra Fall, Canada.
- He has also delivered a speech at the Washington Tamil Sangam.
- In order to prepare himself as an actor, Cheran used to stand in front of the mirror and rehearse film dialogues of Sivaji Ganesan.