|Other Name(s)||• Choi Woo-sik
• Woo-sik Choi
|Profession(s)||Actor & Singer|
|Famous Roles||• 'Yong-sik' in the film "Train to Busan" (2016)
• 'Kim Ki-woo' in the film "Parasite" (2019)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height Management SOOP- Artist Profile||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet & inches- 6’
|Agency||• JYP Entertainment (October 2012-October 2018)
• Management SOOP (November 2018-Present)
|Debut||K-drama: The Duo (2011) as young 'Gwi-dong'
Short Film: Etude Solo (2011)
Feature Film: Secretly, Greatly (2013) as 'Yoon Yoo-joon'
Singing: 'Some Guys' from the K-drama "The Boy Next Door" (2017)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2020: Screen Actors Guild Awards - Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture for the film "Parasite"
• 2020: Blue Dragon Film Awards - Best New Actor for the film "Set Me Free"
• 2015: Korean Association of Film Critics Awards - Best New Actor for the film "Set Me Free"
• 2015: Busan Film Critics Awards for Best New Actor - the film "Set Me Free"
• 2014: Busan International Film Festival - Actor of the Year for the film "Set Me Free"
Note: Apart from the awards mentioned above, he has received other awards and nominations.
|Date of Birth||26 March 1990 (Monday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||30 Years|
|Birthplace||Seoul, South Korea|
|Nationality||South Korean, Canadian|
|Hometown||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|School||Pinetree Secondary School, Coquitlam, Canada|
|College/University||• Simon Fraser University (SFU) in Burnaby, Canada
• Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
|Educational Qualification||• Pursued Arts Degree from Simon Fraser University (SFU) in Burnaby, Canada (drop-out)
• Major in Cultural Studies from Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
|Hobbies||Playing Video Games, Skiing, Sufring, Snowboarding, and Hiking|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Park Seo Joon (South Korean Actor; Rumoured). He later clarified that Seo-joon was just his best friend.
|Siblings||Brother- 1 (elder)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Choi Woo-shik
- Does Choi Woo-shik drink alcohol?: Yes Allkpop
- Choi Woo-shik is South Korean-Canadian actor and singer who earned international acclaim for his portrayal of ‘Yong-sik’ in the film “Train to Busan” (2016) and ‘Kim Ki-woo’ in the film “Parasite” (2019).
- At the age 10, his family migrated to Vancouver, Canada, where he spent most of his childhood. During his earlier days in Vancouver, he was outcasted in his school, which made him unsociable. Talking about it, he says,
One day, I brought my rice and kimchi and side dishes because I didn’t know, and I just brought a whole bunch of food with me, and then they were like, ‘Oh, what’s that smell? They were like, ‘Oh, that’s the new guy from Korea, but he smells.’ So they didn’t come and talk to me.”
- His life took-a-turn after his high school, when he made fourteen friends, all Korean. They supported and helped him cope up with difficulties. He calls his friend FF14 (Friend Forever 14). Talking about them, he says,
They’re really reliable. I can really talk about stuff with them.”
- Choi wanted to become an actor and gave online auditions to become an actor in Korea. After which, he begged his parents to let him give auditions in Korea in person. At first, his parents didn’t agree, but finally, they sent him to South Korea. In 2011, at the age of 21, he dropped out of Simon Fraser University and came to South Korea to pursue acting.
- After making his debut with the K-drama “The Duo” (2011), he appeared in supporting roles in many popular K-dramas including Living in Style (2011), Special Affairs Team TEN (2011), Rooftop Prince (2012), Special Affairs Team TEN Season 2 (2012), You Are My Destiny (2014), and Pride and Prejudice (2014).
- He appeared for the first time in a lead role in the drama “Hogu’s Love” (2015) and went on to appear as a lead in the dramas, My Fantastic Funeral (2017) and Fight for My Way (2017).
- He has also participated in the reality-variety shows, Beating Hearts (2013-14) and Law of the Jungle in Nicaragua (2015).
- He earned international recognition with the film “Train to Busan” (2016). The film premiered at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.
- He has acted in many popular South Korean films including, In the Room (2015), Okja (2017), The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion (2018), Parasite (2019), and The Divine Fury (2019).
- He has made appearances in the music videos of many K-pop songs such as ‘My Old Story’ by IU, ‘Congratulations’ by Day 6, and ‘That Moment’ by Im Seulong.
- He has sung the OST ‘A Glass of Soju’ of “Parasite.” The song was shortlisted for the Best Original Song at the 2020 Academy Awards. Hollywood Reporter
- Cho Woo-sik, actor Park Seo-joon, singer Peakboy, and singer V (of BTS) are best friends. They all are often seen hanging out together.
- His film “Parasite” (2019), which was directed by Bong Joon-ho won Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2019, and the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2020.
References/Sources: [ + ]