Hometown: Patiala, Punjab
Wife: Malvinder Shankar
Age: 59 Years
|Famous Role||‘Dhritrashtra’ in the Indian epic television series “Mahabharat" (1988)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Debut||Film: Daata (1989)
TV: Mahabharat (1988)
|Date of Birth||Year 1960|
|Age (as in 2019)||59 Years|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|College/University||Punjabi University, Patiala|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Malvinder Shankar (Writer)|
|Travel Destinations||Los Angeles, New York|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Girija Shankar
- Girija Shankar was born in a middle-class family in Patiala.
- Since childhood, he desired to join airforce.
- Shankar appeared for the airforce entrance test, however, could not qualify it because of his age.
- After completing his graduation, Girija, went to Delhi to get himself enrolled in the National School of Drama. However, he could not join the institute due to some personal reasons.
- He, then, decided to learn acting from an institute in Patiala.
- While in Patiala, Shankar met Harpal Tivana, and started practising theatre with him.
- He did theatre in Patiala for around 5 years and then moved to Delhi, and then, Mumbai to do theatre.
- In Mumbai, he did theatre with many renowned theatre artists.
- In 1988, Girija made his acting debut with the epic TV series, “Mahabharat” in which he played the role of ‘Dhritrashtra.’
- Apparently, Shankar was not aware of Dhritrashtra’s character until he bagged the role.
- Since Dhritrashtra had no vision, Shankar went to blind schools for several days to prepare himself for the role.
- Subsequently he appeared in films like “Daata’ (1989), “Maut Ki Sazaa” (1991), “Kal Ki Awaaz” (1992), “Mr. Azad” (1994), “Tum Se Achcha Kaun Hai” (2002), “Khwaab” (2004), and “Baghi” (2006).
- He has also appeared in the TV serials “Buniyaad” and “Charchit.”
- After working in Bollywood, Shankar worked in several Hollywood films.
- In 2006, he directed the English film “Banana Brothers.”
- After a while, he permanently shifted to America along with his family and started living there.