Some Lesser Known Facts About D. K. Ravi
- Doddakoppalu Kariyappa Ravi, commonly known as D. K. Ravi, was an Indian Civil Servant. He was an Indian Administrative Services Officer of Karnataka Cadre from 2009 batch. He scored AIR 34 in UPSC examination.
- He was trained at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie, for a probation period of two years between August 2009 to August 2011 and was allotted his home state cadre of Karnataka.
- Prior to his entry into civil services, he worked as Sub Inspector of Excise with the Karnataka State Excise Department for over a year and a half. Wikipedia
- He was reportedly an efficient and able administrator. He was first posted in Gulbarga as Assistant Commissioner.
- He first came into limelight when he was posted as deputy commissioner of the Kolar district, Karnataka. He launched an official crackdown against the encroachment of government lands and rampant illegal sand mining in the district.
- He also launched many innovative reforms in the Kolar District like conducting Revenue and Podi adalats, which went on to be getting recognized and implemented by the State Government of Karnataka. Due to his reputation as a pro-people administrator, he became extremely popular among people of Kolar district. The Hindu
- When he was transferred to Bangalore as the Additional Commissioner of Commercial Taxes (Enforcement) by the government on 29 October 2014, allegedly due to pressure from and his actions against sand and land mafia, a large number of people in Kolar staged protests demanding reversion of his transfer orders.
- During his posting as the Additional Commissioner of Commercial Taxes (Enforcement), he starting conducting raids on tax defaulters. He prepared a list of top-50 tax defaulters and set a target of Rs 1,000 crore tax collection from the tax evading defaulters.
- He started conducting raids from Bangalore City and later conducted raids across different places in Karnataka.
- He raided well-known business groups such as Embassy, Rajesh Exports, Shubh Jewellers, RMZ Institution, Nitesh Builders, Prestige Group, Raheja Developers and Mantri Developers, and had reportedly collected over Rs 138 crore in the first two weeks of his posting. Following this, he allegedly received threat calls from the defaulters.
- On 16 March 2015, he was found dead in his apartment at St John’s Woods Apartment near Koramangala, Bangalore.
- He had gone to the office from Nagarbhavi, Bangalore (the house of his in-laws), on the morning of 16 March 2015. He returned to his apartment at St John’s Woods near Koramangala by 11.30 a.m. (IST). His family found his body hanging to a ceiling fan in his bedroom at his residence around 6:30 p.m. (IST) when they rushed to the apartment after he didn’t return the phone calls made during the day.
- His death shook the state government and a CID probe was ordered. Later on, a CBI probe was ordered due to the mounting pressure by the public and the opposition parties. Wikipedia
- Several theories were put forth to prove whether his death was a murder or suicide. Regarding suicide two theories were put forth. One theory said that he could not finalise a land deal worth crores leading to financial and mental pressure which led him to take an extreme step.
- Another theory put forth said that he was in love with her female batchmate Rohini Sindhuri, who was also married. She didn’t reciprocate the feelings of Ravi, which led him to commit suicide. The evidence for this theory was also found in Ravi’s call details and WhatsApp messages to Rohini Sindhuri. The same thing has been mentioned in the closure report of CBI filed in 2016. The Quint
- However, this theory kicked up a controversy saying that the Karnataka Government was hiding the truth behind his death and maligning the image of a clean and honest officer.
- Another theory said that he was murdered due to his actions against the tax evaders and an RTI activist alleged that he had sent notices to various tax defaulters and that Ravi was about to take some big action against these defaulters.
- Grammy Award Winner Ricky Kej, who also hails from Karnataka, composed a song as a tribute to D. K. Ravi.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)
References/Sources: [ + ]