Marital Status: Divorced
Age: 57 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Date of Birth||3 September 1965 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||57 Years|
|School||She did her schooling in Hyderabad. Dainik Bhaskar|
|College/University||Central University of Hyderabad|
|Educational Qualification||MA in Political Science (1989) Dainik Bhaskar|
|Controversies||• False accusations by Air India
In 2016, in a report by Air India to the Civil Aviation Ministry (CAM), she was accused of staying in hotels and flying to different destinations at Air India’s expense when she was the Chief Vigilance Officer (Dy CVO). The Ministry asked for an explanation from Air India. A senior Civil Aviation Ministry (CAM) official talked about the report submitted by Air Inida and said,
The report has stated that HRA was inadvertently paid by the finance department to the CVO which was, however, recovered immediately from her salary when she herself pointed it out. The report clarified that Ohatker’s stay in hotel in Mumbai was approved by the then CMD until a suitable residential accommodation in the city was allotted to her. A total of 31 journeys were ticketed over a period of one year of which only 21 were utilized for duty travel. Those were frivolous complaints. How can a person travel 31 times in a month as was alleged. The allegations of corruption are not only unfounded and false, but seems to have been made with a deliberate malicious intent to belittle the honesty and integrity of a senior officer." The Pioneer
• Accused of abusing her colleagues
On 10 February 2023, Shobha was involved in a controversy when IPS Vikas Vaibhav was given a show-cause notice by her after a screenshot of his tweet about "listening to abuse from DG madam every day" went viral on social media. He was alleged of violating provisions of Rule 3 of the All India Service Conduct Rules, 1968 with the allegations of violation of confidentiality. In the notice, it was mentioned,
The matter of recording by you in the viral message has been brought into the public domain. It is clear from this that the discussions held in the office meetings are recorded by you. This shows your wrong intention. It is also in violation of the relevant provisions of the Official Secrets Act. IPS Vikas Vaibhav has tried to tarnish the image of his senior official by making baseless allegations through social media. His conduct is completely contrary to the conduct of a senior police officer and is indicative of his indiscipline, lack of duty and acts against the law."
After the controversy, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar disapproved of the actions of Vikas and said,
You should know this very well, anyone working in a job, an officer, their job is not to tweet. This is the worst thing. If they have a problem, they should inform their department or seniors. They should convey it personally, not declare it publicly. This is the law."
On 13 February 2023, he sought a transfer out of the department and sanction of a 60-day leave he had applied for earlier. On 16 February 2023, the home department also issued him a notice for making official meetings public. The Print
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Divorced Bihar Government|
|Husband/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Children||Son- Aankesh Ohatkar
Daughter- Akanksha Ohatkar
|Parents||Father- Balram Ahotkar (Excise commissioner of Hyderabad)
Mother- Name Not Known
• Cash: Rs. 4,86,379
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 55,00,000
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 1,75,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 35,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2022. It excludes the assets owned by her husband and dependents (minor). Bihar Government
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 2.5 Crore
Note: The net worth was for the financial year 2022. It excludes the net worth of her husband and dependents (minors). Bihar Government
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shobha Ohatkar
- Shobha Ohatkar is an Indian civil servant who is known for being the first female DGP of Bihar appointed in 2020.
- Her father always wanted her to join the service regardless of any cadet. She cleared the UPSC exam on the first attempt and got Patna cadet for service as Assistant Superintendent of Police. In an interview, she said that she gained a lot of inspiration from her father who always told her to work sincerely and honestly.
- When she was posted in Bihar, her mother was hesitant, but her father told her to be confident and do the service properly. As she was the first female ASP in 1992, questions were raised about her posting.
- In 2000, she was transferred to Pune as the additional police commissioner. She also worked in the post of Executive Director of Security at Air India when she was in Maharashtra.
- When she was on deputation in Maharashtra, she made a committee and gave a helpline for the safety of women. She was also the nodal officer for human trafficking.
- Her priority was to threaten the criminals and make them fear the police. Because of her strict behaviour, she was given the name Hunterwali by people in Bihar. In an interview, she revealed why she was given this name and said that when she was posted in Deoghar, women who used to visit temples were raped. So, Shobha used to beat the criminals fiercely because of which people started calling her ‘Hunterwali.’
- In an interview, she said that while she was the SP in 6 districts including Darbhanga, Hazaribagh, Chhapra, Vaishali, and Deoghar, she tried to motivate women.
- When she was transferred to Vaishali, there was a lot of crime in the area. She stopped triple riding on the bike in the place, leading to a 50 per cent decrease in crime. In the Diara area of Bihar, she arrested a gang of 16-17 criminals and created fear of the police in criminals’ minds. In the year 2000, when she was transferred to Hazaribagh, she sent 40 coal mafia to jail. In an interview, she said that when she was posted to Darbhanga in 1998, there used to be a lot of kidnapping incidents.
- In an interview, she talked about the toughest case she solved in her career and said that when she was on deputation, there was a big sex scandal case in Ahmed Nagar, Maharashtra where two minor girls were raped in 2006. At that time, she was the SP in the Economic Offenses Wing (EOW) and arrested 26 powerful people. After the investigation, a charge sheet was also filed against all the accused within 90 days.
- She used to earn people’s trust wherever she was posted as an SP. In an interview, she said that she works 18 hours a day and expects her colleagues to also work hard. She further suggested that an SP can win the people’s trust only when he/she connects directly with the public.
- She returned in December 2020 and became the Director General of Bihar.
- As of 2022, she is holding the command in Home Guard and Fire Services.