Death Cause: Heart Attack
Death Date: 28/12/1981
Age: 73 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||Not Known|
|Weight (approx.)||Not Known|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Film: Zambo The Ape Man (1937)
|Last Film||Door Desh (1986)|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Padma Shri Award (1969)
• Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for Boot Polish (1955)
|Date of Birth||1908|
|Birthplace||Thane, Bombay Presidency, British India|
|Date of Death||28 December 1981|
|Place of Death||Toronto, Canada|
|Age (at the time of death)||73 Years|
|Death Cause||Heart Attack The Times of India Directory and Year Book Including Who's who by Sir Stanley Reed Bennett, Coleman|
|School||St Joseph’s school, Mumbai|
|College/University||Wilson College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Government Law College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
|Educational Qualification||BA LLB|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Unmarried|
Mother- Dinah Cheulkar
• Shalome Abraham Cheulkar (Headmaster)
• Daniel Abraham Cheulkar (Doctor)
Some Lesser Known Facts About David Abraham Cheulkar
- David Abraham Cheulkar was an Indian-Jew character actor in Bollywood, who is known for his comic roles in more than 100 films. He also has been honored with Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1969.
- He was born in an Indo-Israeli family from Ashdod.
- David Abraham Cheulkar tried his hand in acting after six years of failed attempts to get a job and got involved with IPTA (Indian People’s Theatre Association).
- David Abraham Cheulkar got introduced to M. Bhavnani, a producer-director, through a friend, who was a character actor. This helped him land his film Zambo The Ape Man (1937).
- In Boot Polish (1954) that won the Filmfare award for best film, David Abraham Cheulkar’s character as “John Chacha” is widely acclaimed by the audience.
- Asha Bhosle and Mohammed Rafi‘s song “Nanhe Munne Bachche Teri Mutthi Mein Kya Hai” from Boot Polish (1954) was picturized on David Abraham Cheulkar, who plays a teacher to slum kids to inspire them for a better future. This song remains popular among all generations.
- Some of his finest performances came in movies like Chupke Chupke (1975), Baton Baton Mein (1979), and Gol Maal (1979). In all these movies, David Abraham Cheulkar played a comic role.
- David Abraham Cheulkar was a compère not only in Filmfare ceremonies but also, in many events. Jawaharlal Nehru in one of his speeches during an event said that any of the events will surely be incomplete without David’s speech.
- For 50 years, David Abraham Cheulkar was president of the Maharashtra Weightlifting Federation and vice-president of the Indian Weightlifting Federation for 35 years.
- David Abraham Cheulkar became representative of the Indian Olympics Association and attended Olympics in Helsinki in 1952, Rome in 1960, Tokyo in 1964, Mexico City in 1968, and Munich in 1972.
- David Abraham Cheulkar was unmarried and, he moved to Hamilton, Canada in 1970 where he lived with his nephew and niece, Victor and Diana.