Some Lesser Known Facts About Dev Anand
- Did Dev Anand smoke : No
- Did Dev Anand drink alcohol : No
- Dev Anand wanted to join Royal Indian Navy of the British Armed Forces, but he got rejected. So he started working in the military censor’s office, Churchgate. His salary was INR 165/month.
- Dev Anand decided to become an actor when he saw Ashok Kumar’s ‘Achhut Kanya’ and ‘Kismet’. He was really impressed by his performance in the movie. Interestingly, Ashok Kumar had selected Dev Anand for the blockbuster movie Ziddi.
- Dev Anand and Guru Dutt shared a very warm relationship. They had decided that all Guru Dutt movies will have Dev Anand as the lead and all movies produced by Dev Anand will be directed by Guru Dutt.
- Dev Anand wanted to cast Mumtaz in ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’ (1971), but mumtaz had already signed seven films for the year. That time, one actor had the restriction on signing more than seven movies a year. But Dev Anand fought with everyone and took Mumtaz to Nepal under Police Protection and shot for the film.
- Many actresses were offered the role of Dev Anand’s sister in ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’, but all of them refused to act as Dev Anand’s sister. Later the role was played by Zeenat Aman
- Dev Anand was banned to wear Black suit after the super hit movie ‘Kala Pani’ (1958). Whenever he went into the audience in a black suit, the girls used to faint ‘courtesy’ to his charmed look.
- A Father got to find his missing daughter, as she was in one of the songs of ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’. When he saw her in the movie, he contacted the film makers and got to meet his daughter.
- Dev Anand has also worked in a Hollywood movie, ‘The Evil Within’ (1970).
- Dev Anand was the first choice for the movies Junglee (1961) and Teessri Manzil (1966); however, due to some unknown reasons, he declined both the offers. His loss eventually became Shammi Kapoor’s gain as he accepted both the movies, which later proved to be a huge commercial success. In a similar instance, he even refused the offer for the 1973 cult classic- Zanjeer.
- Dev Anand and Actress Surraiya fell in love during the shooting of the film ‘Vidya’ (1948). Dev Anand proposed to her with a diamond ring worth Rs 3000. But Surraiya could not accept the proposal because of her maternal grandmother, who refused to let Surraiya out of her religion. Surraiya stayed single till her death.
- Dev Anand was a big fan of Charlie Chaplin. He once got a chance to meet the latter in Switzerland. During the entire meeting, he kept on screaming “Hail Charlie”, raising his arms as the Nazi Soldiers used to do.
- Dev Anand was also interested in politics. He had campaigned against the internal emergency (25 June 1975 to 21 March 1977) along with other film actors. Also he had established a political party and named it “National Party of India”, which he disbanded after a few years.
- Room Number 11 at Fredrick Hotel in Mahabaleshwar, a hill station in Maharashtra, was always reserved for Dev Anand. He had always stayed in that room whenever he was in the town.
- Dev Anand never worked in a commercial in his entire career.
- He loved collecting jackets and had a collection of over 800 jackets.
- Dev Anand has worked only in one film which had more than one lead actors.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)