|Known for||Being chosen as a candidate from the National Democratic Alliance for the 2022 Indian Presidential Election by BJP|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party
|Political Journey||• She was elected as the councillor of the Rairangpur district of Odisha in 1997. In the same year, she was elected as the Vice- Chairperson of Rairangpur.
• In 2000 assembly elections, she was elected as the Minister of BJP from the the Rairangpur constituency, and was in charge of the Department of transport, commerce, fisheries and animal husbandry till 2004.
• In 2004, she was re-elected as the MLA of BJP from Rairangpur constituency.
• She served as the District President of BJP in Mayurbhanj and State President of BJP Scheduled Tribe Morcha from 2006 to 2009.
• In May 2015, she was elected as the Governor of Jharkhand. She served as the governor till 2021.
• In 2022, she was named as the National Democratic Alliance's candidate for the 2022 Indian Presidential Elections.
|Award||In 2007, she received the Nilkantha award for best MLA by Odisha Legislative Assembly.|
|Date of Birth||20 June 1958 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||64 Years|
|Hometown||Baldaposi village, Mayurbhanj, Odisha|
|School||K.B. HS Uparbeda School, Mayurbhanj|
|College/University||Rama Devi Women's College, Bhubaneswar, Odisha|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts The Hindu|
|Ethnicity||Santhal tribe India Today|
|Address||She resides in village Baldaposi, P.O.-Rairangpur, W.No.-2 District, Mayurbhanj, Odisha|
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Shyam Charan Murmu (bank officer)|
|Children||Son- She had two sons, one of whose name is Laxman Murmu, who died in 2009, and the other died in 2013.
Daughter- Itishri Murmu (bank worker)
|Parents||Father- Biranchi Narayan Tudu (farmer)|
• Bhagat Tudu
• Sarani Tudu
• Cash: Rs. 1,80,000
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 5,05,000
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 1,30,000
• Jewellery: Rs. 2,60,000
Gross Total Value: Rs. 1,075,000 My Neta
|Net Worth (as of 2009)||Rs. 6,10,000 My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Draupadi Murmu
- Draupadi Murmu is an Indian politician who is known for being chosen as a candidate of the National Democratic Alliance for the 2022 Indian Presidential Election by the BJP.
- When she was young, her father and grandfather were the village headmen.
- Before joining politics in 1997, she was an assistant professor at Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research Centre, Rajgangpur. She also worked as a junior assistant at the irrigation department of Odisha from 1979 to 1983.
- She quit her government job in 1983 to look after her children.
- She was the ninth governor of Jharkhand and served the position from 2015 to 2021.
- In 2003, she got a bridge built in her village Baldaposi so that the people in her village could commute easily.
- In 2009, she lost her son in an accident after which she suffered from depression. In 2013, she lost her second son, and in 2014, her husband died. In an interview, she talked about her struggles in life and said,
I have witnessed many ups and downs in life. I have lost my two sons and my husband. I was completely devastated. But God has given me the strength to continue to serve the people.”
- In 2015, she became the first governor of Jharkhand to serve for a five-year term.
- In 2016, Pratyusha Banerjee‘s parents met Draupadi to request a CBI probe into the death of their daughter.
- In 2016, Murmu announced that she would donate her eyes after death to the Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital in Ranchi.
- On the occasion of Raksha Bandhan in 2018, Brahmakumari Nirmala tied rakhi to Draupadi. In an interview, she said that she started following Brahmakumari Nirmala to fight depression after the death of her sons and husband.
- In 2021, she reviewed the academic and administrative functions of various universities through video conferencing.
- In 2022, she became the first tribal to be nominated for the post of President of India for the 2022 Indian Presidential Elections. After her name was announced, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter and wrote,
Millions of people, especially those who have experienced poverty and faced hardships, derive great strength from the life of Smt. Droupadi Murmu Ji. Her understanding of policy matters and compassionate nature will greatly benefit our country.”
- In an interview, she talked about being selected as a candidate for the 2022 Indian Presidential Elections, and said,
I am surprised as well as delighted. As a tribal woman from remote Mayurbhanj district, I had not thought about becoming the candidate for the top post.”
- She was selected as a candidate from Jharkhand for the 2017 Indian Presidential Elections but, did not win the elections.
- In 2022, after she was elected as the candidate for Presidential elections, she was provided Z category security cover by armed CRPF personnel. She was also seen sweeping the floor at Shiv temple in Rairangpur.
- According to some reports, she was outspoken about tribal rights. In an interview, the party members talked about her and said,
Her candidature is perfect, and she has always raised issues of the people. During her governorship, she often summoned the DGP or other senior officials whenever there were reports of atrocities on tribals or women.”
- She has all the awards and recognitions won by her in her ancestral house in Upbeda village.
- Reportedly, she had converted her in-laws’ house into a trust and donated it to a school. The trust was named ‘SLS,’ after her husband and sons’ names. The trust covers an area of more than four acres. She had also built a memorial for her husband and sons in the school.