Wife: Afsa Ansari
Age: 57 Years
Hometown: Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh
|Known For||Being one of the strongman politicians of Purvanchal|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in feet & inches- 6’ 2”
|Political Party||• Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) (2007-2010; 2017-present)
• Independent (2002-2007)
• Quami Ekta Dal (2012-2017)
|Political Journey||• 1996: Became an MLA from Mau on a Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) ticket
• 2002: Became an MLA from Mau as an independent
• 2007: Became an MLA from Mau as an independent
• 2009: Lost the Lok Sabha election from Varanasi on a BSP ticket
• 2012: Became an MLA from Mau on a Quami Ekta Dal ticket
• 2017: Became an MLA from Mau on a Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) ticket
|Biggest Rival||Brijesh Singh|
|Date of Birth||30 June 1963 (Sunday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||57 Years|
|Birthplace||Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||Post Graduate Gazipur College Rambadh|
|Educational Qualification||BA degree in 1984 My Neta|
|Caste/Sect||Sunni UP Vidhan Sabha|
|Address||Tailor Tola, Kasba – Yusufpur, Post – Mohammedabad, District-Ghazipur UP Vidhan Sabha|
|Controversies My Neta||• 7 charges related to criminal intimidation (IPC Section-506)
• 5 charges related to Attempt to murder (IPC Section-307)
• 5 charges related to Murder (IPC Section-302)
• 2 charges related to Dishonest misappropriation of property possessed by deceased person at the time of his death (IPC Section-404)
• 2 charges related to Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property (IPC Section-420)
• 1 charges related to Forgery of valuable security, will, etc. (IPC Section-467)
• 1 charges related to Forgery for purpose of cheating (IPC Section-468)
• 1 charges related to voluntarily causing grievous hurt (IPC Section-325)
• 6 charges related to Punishment for Rioting (IPC Section-147)
• 6 charges related to Punishment of criminal conspiracy (IPC Section-120B)
• 4 charges related to Rioting, armed with deadly weapon (IPC Section-148)
• 4 charges related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149)
• 3 charges related to Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
• 2 charges related to Act endangering life or personal safety of others (IPC Section-336)
• 2 charges related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
• 1 charges related to cheating by personation (IPC Section-419)
• 1 charges related to Punishment of abetment if the act abetted is committed in consequence, and where no express provision is made for its punishment (IPC Section-109)
• 1 charges related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace (IPC Section-504)
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||15 October 1989 (Sunday)|
• Abbas Ansari (Ace Shooter and Politician)
• Umar Ansari (Politician)
|Parents||Father- Subhanullah Ansari
Mother- Begum Rabia (died in December 2018)
• Sibakatullah Ansari (elder; politician)
• Afzal Ansari (elder; politician)
|Car Collection||Pajero Sports (UP 32 EH 0786) My Neta|
|Assets/Properties My Neta||Movable (approx. Rs. 1.33 crores)
• Bank & Other Deposits: Rs. 10.60 lakh
• Jewellery: Rs. 72.5 lakh
• Motor Vehicle: Rs. 20 lakh
Immovable (approx. 20.50 crores)
• Agricultural Land: Rs. 3.23 crores
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 4.90 crores
• Commercial Buildings: Rs. 12.45 crores
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 1.70 crores
|Salary (as an MLA of Uttar Pradesh)||Rs. 1.95 lakh Patrika|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 22 crores (as in 2017) My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mukhtar Ansari
- Mukhtar Ansari is an Indian politician who has a stronghold in Eastern Uttar Pradesh, a region popularly called “Purvanchal,” where Ansari is considered one of the most influential mafia dons.
- He was born into an influential Sunni Muslim family of Ghazipur.
- He is the grandson of Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari (a former President of the Indian National Congress and Mulsim League). Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari was an Indian Freedom Fighter who later became one of the founders of the Jamia Millia Islamia University and served as its chancellor from 1928 to 1936. The Week
- Being an accomplished surgeon his grandfather, Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari, also led the Indian medical mission to treat Turkish soldiers injured during the Balkan war. The Week
- There is a ward named after his grandfather at Charing Cross Hospital in London where his grandfather studied. The Week
- Ansari’s elder brother, Sibakatullah Ansari was a Bahujan Samaj Party MLA from Mohammadabad constituency, and his other elder brother, Afzal Ansari is a Lok Sabha member from Ghazipur.
- Mukhtar Ansari started his political career by participating in student council elections at the Post Graduate Gazipur College Rambadh.
- After earning a BA degree in 1984, he became a member of the Makhanu Singh gang. Later, this gang clashed several times with another gang led by Sahib Singh over a plot of land.
- A member of the Sahib Singh’s gang, Brijesh Singh, later formed his own gang and became a staunch rival of Mukhtar Ansari.
- Gangs of Mukhtar Ansari and Brijesh Singh clashed many times over contracts such as Railways, Public Works, Coal Mining, and Liquor Business.
- In 1988, Ansari came into the eyes of law after he killed Sachidanand Rai, a local Mandi Parishad contractor in Ghazipur. It was followed by the murder of Tribhuwan Singh’s brother, Rajendra Singh who was a constable in Varanasi. Tribhuwan Singh is also a mafia in Purvanchal, and he is one of the close associates of Brijesh Singh.
- Mukhtar Ansari entered into active politics in the late 90s and started challenging Brijesh Singh’s dominance. Ansari started expanding his criminal activities in Mau, Ghazipur, Varanasi, and Jaunpur with an eye to control Ghazipur’s lucrative Thekedari or contract work mafia, including railway construction, Public Works Department construction, coal mining, and the liquor business, and he went on to control various government contracts worth hundreds of crores in Purvanchal.
- Besides contract works, Ansari also expanded his influence in other activities, such as extortion, kidnapping, and extraction of protection money called ‘Goonda Tax.’
- Soon, Mukhtar Ansari and Brijesh Singh became two main gang rivals in Eastern Uttar Pradesh called Purvanchal.
- Once in a clash between Ansari gang and Brijesh gang, Ansari presumed Brijesh to be dead. However, Brijesh was later found to be alive. The incident happened on the Mau-Lucknow highway in 2001 when Brijesh Singh ambushed Ansari’s convoy and killed his three key men. In the shootout, Brijesh was also critically injured.
- In the 2002 Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections, BJP’s Krishnanand Rai defeated Ansari’s brother, Afzal, from the Mohammadabad constituency. Krishnanand Rai, being a close aide of Brijesh Singh, allotted to Brijesh almost all government contracts, which triggered Ansari, and on 29 November 2005, Krishnanand Rai was killed in mafia-style.
- In the Krishnanand Rai murder case, Mukhtar Ansari was named in an F.I.R. filed at the Ghazipur police station, and he was arrested and lodged in jail; however, on 3 July 2019, after witnesses against him turned hostile, he was released. Frontline
- Since 1996, Ansari has been an MLA from Mau for a record five times.
- In 2007, he joined the Bahujan Samaj Party, and Mayawati called him a “messiah of the poor” and portrayed him as Robin Hood; however, she expelled him from the party in 2010 by calling him a criminal.
- Ansari, after being expelled from the BSP, formed his own political party, Quami Ekta Dal (QED) in 2012 along with his brothers Afzal and Sibkatillah.
- During the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, he announced to contest against Narendra Modi from the Varanasi constituency. However, later he withdrew his candidature.
- On 26 January 2017, he rejoined the BSP before the 2017 Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections.
- Mukhtar Ansari’s elder son, Abbas Ansari is a management graduate and an ace shooter.
- Hamid Ansari, the former Vice President of India, is a distant relative of Mukhtar Ansari. Hamid Ansari is the grandnephew of Mukhtar Ansari’s grandfather, Ahmed Ansari. The Week
- A Hindi web series, Raktanchal was released in 2020, which is reportedly based on real-life events from the ’80s of Purvanchal. This MX Player Orginal crime drama series reportedly depicts the rivalry between Mukhtar Ansari and Brijesh Singh.
References/Sources: [ + ]