|Real name||Sukhmanpreet Singh Sidhu Hindustan Times|
|Other name||Sukhmanpreet Singh Talwandi Facebook- Sippy Sidhu|
|Profession(s)||Rifle Shooter and Corporate Lawyer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Date of Birth||18 December 1980 (Thursday)|
|Date of Death||20 September 2015|
|Place of Death||Sector-27 Park in Chandigarh|
|Age (at the time of death)||35 Years|
|Death Cause||Shot Dead Hindustan Times|
|Cremated At||Cremation Ground, Paschim Marg, Sector 25 West, Chandigarh|
|School(s)||• Yadavindra Public School, Patiala, Punjab
• Doon International School, Mohali, Punjab
• St. Joseph's Convent Senior Secondary School, Bathinda, Punjab
• The Punjab Public School Nabha, Punjab
|College/University||Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab YouTube- Team Punjabi|
|Educational Qualification||LLB Facebook- Sippy Sidhu|
|Address||Phase 3B2, Mohali, Ajitgarh, Punjab|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Unmarried|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Kalyani Singh (rumoured; daughter of Sabina, acting Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court) Hindustan Times
|Parents||Father- Inder Pal Singh Sidhu (died; additional advocate general of Punjab)
Mother- Deepinder Kaur
|Siblings||Brother- Jasman Preet Singh Sidhu aka Jippy Sidhu (younger; a legal adviser to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee)
|Other Relative||Grandfather- Justice SS Sidhu (former Punjab and Haryana high court judge)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sippy Sidhu
- Sippy Sidhu was an Indian national-level rifle shooter and advocate. On 20 September 2015, he was shot dead at Sector-27 Park in Chandigarh. On 15 June 2022, his rumoured girlfriend Kalyani Singh was arrested for her involvement in Sippy’s murder case.
- Since his childhood, he was inclined towards sports. He used to participate in football and cricket matches in school and college.
- While he was in university, he started participating in shooting competitions along with the famous Indian shooter Abhinav Bindra.
- He had won various awards in rifle shooting competitions. In 2001, he won a gold medal along with the Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra at the Punjab National Games. He represented Punjab in various rifle shooting competitions for more than 15 years.
- Later, he worked as the joint secretary of the Paralympic Committee of India.
- He was then posted in the Punjab Police on sports quota. He wanted to make a career in law, so he took three years’ leave from his job and pursued a degree in law.
- Sippy then started a law firm “Sippy Sidhu Law Firm” in Chandigarh. He was also a member advocate of the Supreme Court of India.
- On 20 September 2015, Sippy Sidhu was shot dead at a park in Sector 27, Chandigarh. On 21 September 2015, a passerby in the park saw his body and informed the local police.
- When Sippy’s mother was interrogated in the case, she accused a girl named Kalyani of Sippy’s murder. Sippy’s mother even said that Kalyani’s mother Sabina used her power to protect Kalyani from the murder case. Soon, after her statement, the local police started investigating Kalyani and her family in the matter. In an interview, Sippy’s mother said,
I cannot forget him even for a second and will fight for justice till I am alive. The day he was murdered, Sippy had told me that Kalyani wanted to meet him. Ever since the murder, we have been saying that she is involved in killing my son, as we turned down her marriage proposal. She killed him.”
- While talking to the reporters, Sippy’s brother Jasman Preet said,
My late grandfather, Justice SS Sidhu, was a former Punjab and Haryana high court judge and my late father, IPS Sidhu, was the additional advocate general of Punjab. We had close relations with Kalyani’s family and she knew Sippy since childhood. But we refused her marriage proposal owing to her relationships with others. We had clearly told this to her family, but could have never imagined that it will result in Sippy’s murder.”
He further said,
Justice Sabina was a sitting judge of the Punjab and Haryana high court when the murder took place. The police were hesitant to even question Kalyani. It was only on our representations that she was transferred to Rajasthan in 2016 and things started moving. But her arrest now has rekindled our hopes that Sippy’s murderers will not go scot-free.”
- In 2015, various justice marches and candlelight marches were organised by Sippy’s family and friends.
- On 22 January 2016, the Chandigarh administration recommended a CBI probe in the Sippy murder case. Later, CBI took over the case and started an investigation. In September 2016, CBI announced Rs 5 lakh reward for providing clues in the Sippy murder case which was increased to Rs 10 lakh in December 2016.
- After almost 7 years, Kalyani was arrested from her house in Sector 42, Chandigarh, after she was found evasive and deceptive in Sippy’s murder case. While talking about Kalyani’s motive behind Sippy’s murder, CBI said,
She (Kalyani) wanted to marry him but her proposal was refused by Sippy’s family. Sippy had leaked her objectionable photos to her parents and friends, which had caused embarrassment to Kalyani and her family. Certain lapses were found on the part of Inspector Poonam Dilawari, then SHO of the Sector 26 police station, and Guriqbal Singh Sidhu, then ASP, in the destruction of evidence which led in delay of the arrest.”