General JJ Singh Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: Patiala, Punjab
Age: 76 Years
Wife: Anupama Singh
|Full Name||Joginder Jaswant Singh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 78 kg
in Pounds- 172 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Service Years||August 1964 - 30 September 2007|
|Unit||9 Maratha Light Infantry|
|Commands||• Western Army
• Army Training Command (ARTRAC)
• I Corps
• 9th Infantry Division
• 79th (Independent) Mountain Brigade
• 5 Maratha LI
• 9 Maratha LI
|Wars/Battles||• Indo-Pakistani War of 1971
• Kargil War
|Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (January 2022-present)
• Shiromani Akali Dal (Taksali) (2019-2022)
• Shiromani Akali Dal (2017-2018)
|Political Journey||• He contested the 2017 Punjab Legislative Assembly election from Patiala Urban seat as the Shiromani Akali Dal candidate and lost to Congress' Amarinder Singh.
• In 2019, he joined the Shiromani Akali Dal (Taksali) and contested and lost the Lok Sabha election from Khadoor Sahib (Lok Sabha constituency).
• On 18 January 2022, he joined the Bharatiya Janata Party ahead of the Punjab assembly elections. The Tribune
|Date of Birth||17 September 1945|
|Age (as of 2021)||76 Years|
|Birthplace||Sama Satta, Bahawalpur (princely state, now in Pakistan), Punjab, British India|
|School||St. Anne's, Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh (now in Telangana), India
St Mary's Presentation Convent, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India
Model Academy, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India
|College||National Defence Academy (NDA), Khadakwasla, Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Educational Qualification||NDA pass-out|
|Commissioned||2 August 1964 (into the 9 Maratha Light Infantry)|
|Retirement||30 Sept 2007|
|Family||Father- Jaswant Singh Marwah (Lieutenant Colonel in the Indian Army)
Mother- Jaspal Kaur
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Hobbies||Playing Basketball, Squash & Golf, Mountaineering|
|Sports||Basketball, Squash, and Golf|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About General JJ Singh
- Does General JJ Singh drink alcohol:? Yes
- He was born in the small town Samma Satta in the Princely State of Bahawalpur (now in Pakistan).
- His father, Jaswant Singh Marwah, was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Indian Army.
- His family originally belongs to Daultala (also in Pakistan).
- He is a 3rd-generation soldier of his family as his grandfather, Sepoy (Private) Atma Singh Marwah was enlisted as a drummer in the 1/67 Punjab Regiment of the British Indian Army in 1914 and fought in the First World War.
- His father, Jaswant, passed out from the Indian Military Academy (IMA) in April 1943 and is a veteran of the Second World War.
- When he was born, his father was posted at the Samma Satta.
- In August 1947, his family migrated to Patiala in India.
- He grew up in different regions of the Northern India as his father was frequently transferred.
- He did his schooling in Catholic Convent Schools.
- He joined the 25th course of the NDA (National Defence Academy) in January 1961.
- In 1962, when the Sino-Indian War broke out, he was still a cadet and due to the war urgency, the one year course of NDA was shortened to 7 months. JJ Singh and his classmates were commissioned early as Second Lieutenant on 2 August 1964.
- At the time of passing-out-ceremony, his grandfather blessed him saying- God willing, the son of a private shall be a colonel, and the son of the colonel shall be a general!
- At the Investiture Parade in 1968, he received the Colour of the Batallion from the then President of India Dr. Zakir Hussain.
- During his career, he was stationed at Nagaland, Jammu & Kashmir, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and Joshimath in Uttranchal (now Uttarakhand).
- During his tenure with the Indian Army, he was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal, the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, and the Param Vishisht Seva Medal.
- In 1991-92, he was wounded during a terrorist infiltration for which he was awarded the Chief of Army Staff’s Commendation.
- On 1 February 2005, he was appointed the Chief of Army Staff in the Indian Army.
- He is an ace shooter and loves to play Basketball, Squash & Golf.
- He is a keen mountaineer and has been trained at the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute in Darjeeling under Late Tenzing Norgay.
- In 2007, UK Sikh Forum awarded him the Sikh of the Year Award.
- In 2009, the World Punjabi Organization awarded him the Punjabi Ratan Award.
- In the 2017 Punjab Assembly Elections, Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) nominated him a candidate from the Patiala constituency against Captain Amarinder Singh.