Some Lesser Known Facts About Charles Sobhraj
- Does Charles Sobhraj smoke?: Yes
- Does Charles Sobhraj drink alcohol?: Yes
- Charles Sobhraj was born in Vietnam during World War II in 1944. He hails from a mixed background; as his father was an Indian and Mother was a Vietnamese.
- Charles’ parents were unmarried when he was born. They separated after a few years of Charles’ birth and it badly affected him.
- His mother’s boyfriend adopted him but didn’t take care of him. Later his mother sent him to a French boarding school.
- He started doing criminal activities when he was only 19 years old.
- The very first time he was sent to jail in a burglary case in 1963.
- His income source was Drug dealing and Gem selling.
- One day, he proposed to his first wife Chantal Compagnon and the same day he was arrested by the police for driving the stolen car, but 8 months later, he got released from the jail and married to Chantal Compagnon.
- He killed an American girl named Teresa Knowlton, who was found drowned in a pool in the Gulf of Thailand. It was his first murder.
- In 1976, he killed 10 travelers who were on a trip of Asian Hippie Trail of Thailand, India, and Nepal.
- He is one of the notorious serial killers who killed more than 20 people in South-east Asia and other countries between 1970 and 1980.
- He used to carry out his criminal activities in a special kind of manner. He used to pick and befriend his victims and later drug them to kill or loot.
- He was in the sexual relationship with many of girls who often visited him in jail including his lawyer, Sneh Senger, Jacqueline Kuster (A German Imprisoned) and a Punjabi girl who was influenced by Charles character.
- When he was in Tihar Jail in 1986, he escaped from the jail by manipulating jail’s officials. He planned his birthday party with his lawyer Sneha Sneger and drugged all of the officials through grapes and sweets.
- In 2003, He was arrested by Nepal Police and sentenced to the life imprisonment for the murder of Connie Jo Bronzich and Laurent Carriere in 1975.
- He believes that he did a favor to the society by killing the peoples. He often says, that he neither bothered of good peoples nor killed them ever.
- He is fluent in speaking several languages.
- He roamed one country to another on fake and stolen passports to carry out his criminal activities.
- He is called by the titles; The Serpent (Because of his several escapes from the jail), The Bikini Killer (Because his victims Teresa Knowlton and Charmayne Carrou found dead wearing bikini).
- David Neville’s The Life And Crimes OF Charles Sobhraj book is based on Charles’s life. He wrote this book based on a telephonic conversation between him and Charles. Other books which are based on his life include; The Bikini Killer by David Morrisey, The Bikini Murders by Farrukh Dhondy.
- His life has also been featured in the Bollywood film Main Aur Charles, starring Randeep Hooda and Richa Chadda.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)