|Famous Role||Nattu Kaka in the Hindi Indian comedy show 'Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah'|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Debut||Film: Masoom (1960)
TV: Philips Top 10 (1994)
|Date of Birth||12 May 1944 (Friday)|
|Birthplace||Village Undhai, Gujarat|
|Date of Death||3 October 2021|
|Place of Death||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||77 Years|
|Death Cause||Cancer Hindustan Times|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married
|Wife||Nirmaladevi Nayak (Housewife)
|Children||Son- Vikas Nayak (a manager in the National Stock Exchange)
• Bhavna Nayak
• Tejal Nayak (a teacher)
|Parents||Father- Prabhakar Nayak
Mother- Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ghanshyam Nayak
- Ghanshyam Nayak was an Indian television and film actor. He was popular for his character Natwarlal Prabhashankar Undhaiwala (Nattu Kaka) in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah on Sab TV.
- Ghanshyam Nayak was also a supporting actor in Bollywood movies. He was active in the Hindi and Gujarati Television and film industry for more than 55 years.
- In 1959, Ghanshyam Nayak appeared as a child artist in a popular Bollywood song ‘Nani Teri Morni ko Mor Le Gye’ along with Farhan Akhtar‘s mother Honey Irani. In a conversation with a media house, Ghanshyam revealed that he received the opportunity when he was studying in the school. He said,
In 1959, when I was a school-going student, I made my acting debut with Farhan Akhtar’s mom Honey Irani film. That time she was also a child artist and the main lead in the film. She was 4-years-old and the song of our film ‘Naani Teri Morni Ko Mor Le Gaye’ is still a very popular song. We shot for the song in Malad (Bombay Talkies). Post that I have done a lot many films, with Ashok Kumar to Amitabh Bachchan. I did Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Kacche Dhaage, Krantivir and today also, I get work offers.”
- In 1960, he appeared in his second Bollywood movie Masoom as a child artist.
- According to Ghanshyam Nayak, in the first 40-45 years of his acting career, he struggled a lot. He used to earn only Rs. 3 for working twenty-four hours in movies as a supporting actor, and paid his house rent and other expenses by borrowing money from his friends and neighbours. In a conversation with a media house, Ghanshyam stated that the day he joined the popular Indian television show ‘Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chasmah’ as ‘Nattu Kaka’ on SAB TV, he got his life in control, and soon, he also bought two flats in Mumbai. With the passage of time, his character in the show was appreciated by the audience.
- Ghanshyam Nayak worked in more than 200 Hindi & Gujarati movies and over 350 Hindi television serials.
- Apart from being a television and Bollywood actor, Ghanshyam Nayak was also an active theatre artist. As per Ghanshyam Nayak, his father as well as grandfather were also theatre artists.
- Ghanshyam Nayak appeared in several Bollywood movies as a supporting artist, and he worked with many veteran renowned Bollywood actors including Ashok Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Salman Khan.
- Ghanshyam Nayak was also a playback singer. He sang songs with veteran Bollywood singers like Asha Bhosle & Mahendra Kapoor in several Gujarati films.
- Ghanshyam Nayak also worked as a dubbing artist in more than 350 Gujarati films. In the Hindi movie ‘Ek Aur Sangram’ and Bhojpuri film Bairi Sawan,’ he gave his voice to veteran actor Kanhaiyalal.
- According to Ghanshyam Nayak, he taught some hook steps of Gujarat Bhavai dance to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan amid the Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam movie shoot in 1999. He narrated,
There are many memories related to ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’. At that time Aishwarya Rai was new in the industry. She respected me a lot and was friendly too. I taught Bhavai (Gujarati Dance and Drama) in Gujarati to Aishwarya. Sometimes Aishwarya used to touch my feet too.”
- Ghanshyam Nayak worked in various Indian television shows. In a Hindi Television show titled Khichdi, he appeared as a salesman in 2002. Later, in ManiMatku, a Gujarati show, he was cast as Matkalal where he appeared as the leading hero of the show. Soon, he worked in Philips Top 10 as Makhkhan, Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka as Mohan, Dill mill Gaye as a patient, Sarathi as Ghanu Kaka, in 2004, in Sarabhai vs Sarabhai as Vitthal Kaka. In 2008, began working in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah show as Natwarlal Prabhashankar Udhaiwala alias Nattu Kaka. In 2012, he appeared in a Gujarati show named Chhuta Chheda.
- Ghanshyam Nayak liked to travel by auto-rickshaw on sets as he adores talking to his fans while travelling in the rickshaw.
- Ghanshyam’s son is a manager at the National stock exchange company in Mumbai. Ghanshyam Nayak kept his children away from the entertainment industry as he did not want his children to struggle like him. He said in an interview with a media house,
I have three children and none of them is into acting career. I don’t want my children to struggle like me. They have seen their father’s struggle to survive and that was enough for them. They all are very creative in their own way but none of them wants to become an actor. Honestly, I am happy with their decision.”
- In 2020, amid Covid-19, Ghanshyam Nayak was trolled for facing the financial crisis. Soon after the social comments, he took his social media account to reveal that he was not facing any financial crisis, and he was enjoying himself with his grandchildren at home. He wrote,
I am not suffering from any financial crisis. I am enjoying my time at home with my grandchildren and my children are actually helping people who need any kind of help. I am neither unemployed nor suffering from any financial woes.”
- In June 2021, Ghanshyam Nayak revealed that he had been battling cancer for a long time and was undergoing chemotherapy sessions. Hindustan Times He said in an interview with a media house,
My health is fine, but treatment had to be started again. Currently, I am undergoing chemotherapy sessions. It was after four months that I shot a special episode for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in Daman last week and believe me, I enjoyed a lot.”
- According to Ghanshyam Nayak, he desired to work on television till his last breath. In an interview with a media house, he revealed that he had no problem in learning and delivering dialogues during his cancer treatment.
- On 3 October 2021, Ghanshyam Nayak passed away due to cancer. On his demise, the Gujarat chief minister Bhupendra Patel took to his Twitter account and tweeted a condolence message. He tweeted,
Gujarati theatre has suffered a great loss due to the untimely demise of the famous Shri Ghanshyambhai Nayak, nicknamed ‘Natukaka’ from the serial ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’.”