|Political Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (June 2022-present)
• Indian National Congress (INC) (March 2019 - May 2022)
|Political Journey||• On 12 March 2019, he joined Indian National Congress.
• On 11 July 2020, he was appointed the Working President of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee.
• On 18 May 2022, he quit the Indian National Congress. NDTV
• On 2 June 2022, he joined the Bharatiya Janata Party.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 60 kg
in Pounds- 132 lbs
|Date of Birth||20 July 1993|
|Age (as of 2022)||29 Years|
|Birthplace||Chandan Nagri, Gujarat, India|
|Hometown||Viramgam, Ahmedabad district., Gujarat, India|
|School||Divya Jyot High School, Viramgam
K.B.Shah Vinay Mandir, Viramgam
|College||Shree Sahjanand Arts & Commerce College, Ahmedabad|
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)|
|Family||Father- Bharat Patel
Mother- Usha Patel
Sister- Monica Patel
|Hobbies||Travelling and collecting weapons|
|Controversies||• In 2015, Hardik was considered responsible for sedition and violence during the 2015 Patidar quota movement in Gujarat, after which he was jailed but got released on bail in July 2016.
• On 25 July 2018, he was sentenced to 2 years in jail by a Gujarat court in a 2015 riots case linked to the Patel quota movement.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hardik Patel
- Hardik was an average student during his studies but he used to have a great amount of interest in cricket.
- He is said to have achieved below 50% marks in his B.Com.
- After completing his graduation, he was involved in his family business of water supply in the commercial sector.
- His father, Bharat Patel is a BJP worker from Viramgam.
- He started his social activist career by joining Sardar Patel Group (SPG), a Patidar youth group, and was the president of one of its unit.
- The idea that ignited him to raise the Patidar movement was that in July 2015, his sister, Monica didn’t qualified for a state government scholarship, which she could have achieved had she been under the Other Backward Class (OBC) quota. After which, he formed the Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS), a non-political organization to get Patidar caste under the OBC quota.
- In 2015, he parted his ways with the SPG and started concentrating on PAAS.
- The same year, he organized a Maha Kranti rally on 26 August 2015 for Patidar caste in Ahmedabad, which later turned out to be an agitation full of violence.
- On 14 July 2016, he was released on bail from the Lajpore jail in Surat after 9 months in cases of sedition and violence during the Patidar quota movement in 2015.
- Political parties such as Congress and BJP alleged him to be politically motivated by opposite parties. Once his photo with a Congress MLA Tejshree Patel was leaked, after which he released his photo alongside a BJP politician Purshottam Rupala, Rajnikant Patel and a video with VHP’s Pravin Togadia, to show his unbiased protest.
- He is a follower of Lord Rama and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- He likes having weapons around and is often seen posing with a rifle, a sword or a pistol.
- On 19 April 2019, while addressing a rally in Gujarat’s Surendranagar, he was slapped by an anonymous BJP worker on stage.
- Das after accusing the leadership of Congress of sidelining him, Patel resigned from the party. In his resignation letter, he wrote,
When I met top leaders, they seemed distracted by their mobile phones and other issues as opposed to listening to issues concerning Gujarat. Senior leaders in Gujarat are more interested in ensuring that visiting leaders get their chicken sandwiches than engaging with people during yatras.”