Abhijit Mukherjee Height, Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 61 Years
Wife: Chitralekha Mukherjee
|Known For||Being the son of the former President of India Pranab Mukherjee|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 152 cm
in meters- 1.52 m
in feet & inches- 5’
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Political Party||• Indian National Congress (INC) (2011-2021)
• All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) (2021-present)
|Political Journey||• Won Lok Sabha elections in 2011 for Jangipur Constituency with INC ticket
• Won Lok Sabha elections in 2014 for Jangipur Constituency and he was re-elected and he retained his seat in Jangipur Constituency
• Lost Lok Sabha elections in 2019 to a candidate from TMC for Jangipur Constituency
|Date of Birth||2 January 1960 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Hoogly, West Bengal|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|College/University||• Jadavpur University, Kolkata (1984)
• The Institute of Engineers, Kolkata (2005)
|MyNetaEducational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical), Jadavpur University
• Chatered Engineering, The Institute of Engineers
|Address||Flat No. 2A, 60/2/7, Kabi Bharati Sarani (Lake Road), Kolkata 700029|
|Controversies||• In 2012, Abhijit Mukherjee found himself in the middle of a controversy when he made a sexist remark while talking about the women who were protesting in the streets over the Nirbhaya gangrape case. During an interview, Abhijit passed an insensitive remark and said-
"I would term the protests in Delhi as what is popularly known as Pink Revolution. It is becoming fashionable to land up on the streets with candle in hand.Such people are completely disconnected from reality. They go to discotheques. I am very well versed with student activism and I can bet on it that most of the protesters are not students. They are dented and painted women chasing two minutes of fame, giving interviews on TV. The protesters do not fall in the age group of students."
The remark made by him led to a massive outrage in the media and he was criticized by people all over the internet.India Today
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||14 July 1984|
|Children||He has two children|
|Parents||Father- Pranab Mukherjee (former President of India)
Mother- Suvra Mukherjee
|Siblings||Brother- Indrajit Mukherjee (Politician)
Sister- Sharmistha Mukherjee (Kathak Dancer and Politician)
|Car Collection||• Old Army Mahindra Jeep (2000)
• Audi 2016 model
• Toyota Corrola Altis (2009)
• Maruti 800 Deluxe Model (2002)
• Bolero DLX (2011)
• Maruti Zen Estillo
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 1.40 crores
• Jewellery: Rs. 1.21 crores
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 37 lakhs
• Agricultural Land: Rs. 45.82 lakhs
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 10.27 crores
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 14.33 crores MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Abhijit Mukherjee
- Abhijit Mukherjee is an Indian politician and a former member of parliament from the Jangipur constituency in West Bengal. He is also the son of the late President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
- Abhijit Mukherjee was born in a family with a political background as his grandfather, Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee, was serving as an active participant of the Indian Independence movement and he was also a member of the West Bengal Legislative Council. He worked in the council as a representative of the Indian National Congress from 1952 to 1964.
- After completing his education, Abhijit Mukherjee entered the corporate world and started working as an executive for several firms like Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Maruti Udyog Limited, and the Steel Authority of India Limited.
- After working in the corporate field for over twenty years, Abhijit decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and joined the world of politics. He started his political career as a state legislator in West Bengal and he contested the by-elections for the Lok Sabha seat for Jangipur constituency in 2012 and he won.
- In 2014, Abhijit Mukherjee was re-elected as the Lok Sabha member as he retained his seat in the Jangipur Constituency. However, in the 2019 general elections of the Lok Sabha, Abhijit lost the elections to his rival from TMC.
- On 5 July 2021, Abhijit made a switch from Indian National Congress (INC) to the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC).
Warmly welcoming Shri @ABHIJIT_LS into the Trinamool family!
We are certain that your contribution towards fulfilling @MamataOfficial's vision for a brighter Bengal shall be valued by all. pic.twitter.com/oSQgmfxVCR
— All India Trinamool Congress (@AITCofficial) July 5, 2021
- In June 2015, Abhijit Mukherjee was awarded a Doctor of Science (Honorary) degree by Dr. D.Y. Patil University, Pune. The degree was awarded to him for his contribution to the field of social upliftment.
- In his leisure time, Abhijit loves reading books about applied mechanics and history. He is also an outgoing person and he loves trekking and mountaineering.
- The Mukherjee family have their ancestral home in Mirati, and every year during the time of Durga Puja, Abhijit performs the aarti and follows the tradition that his great-grandfather Tarak Nath Mukherjee initiated around 120 years ago.