Caste: Jat Sikh
Age: 55 Years
Wife: Navjot Kaur Sidhu
|Nickname(s)||Sixer Sidhu, Sheri Paaji and Sidhu Paaji|
|Profession(s)||Cricketer, Politician and Commentator|
|Political Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)- 2004-2016
• Indian National Congress (INC)- 2017-present
|Political Journey||• Won the 2004 Lok Sabha Elections from Amritsar on a BJP ticket.
• Won the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections by defeating Congress' Om Prakash Soni by 6858 votes from Amritsar.
• Did not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections from any constituency; after Arun Jaitley was given the ticket from Amritsar.
• Became a Rajya Sabha Member on 28 April 2016.
• Resigned from the Rajya Sabha on 18 July 2016.
• In 2016, he formed a new political front - Aawaaz-e-Punjab along with Pargat Singh and Bains brothers.
• Joined the Indian National Congress in January 2017.
• Won the 2017 Punjab Assembly Elections from Amritsar East and became a Minister of Local Bodies.
• In the cabinet reshuffle of the Amarinder Singh Government, he was allocated the Ministry of Power and New and Renewable Energy Sources.
• On 14 July 2019, he twitted a copy of his resignation from the Punjab Cabinet, dated 10 June 2019 and addressed to Rahul Gandhi.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in Feet Inches- 6’ 2”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 84 kg
in Pounds- 185 lbs
|Body Measurements||- Chest: 42 Inches
- Waist: 35 Inches
- Biceps: 14 Inches
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|International Debut||Test- 12 November 1983 vs West Indies at Ahmedabad
ODI- 9 October 1987 vs Australia at Chennai
|Likes to play against||Pakistan|
|Favourite shots||Hitting over the top
|Records (main ones)||• His highest ODI score of 134 against England at Gwalior in 1993.
• He made a unique record of getting 500 Test runs in a year thrice, in 1993, 1994 and 1997.
• He became the first Indian cricketer to score 5 centuries in ODI's.
• His epic 11 hours at the cricket crease against West Indies in 1996–97, where he made 201 runs.
|Career Turning Point||When he was selected for the 1987 Cricket World Cup.
|Favorite Cricketer||Batsman: Sachin Tendulkar|
|Date of Birth||20 October 1963|
|Age (as in 2018)||55 Years|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|School||Yadavindra Public School, Patiala|
|College||Mohindra College, Panjab University, Chandigarh|
|Family||Father- Late Sardar Bhagwant Singh (Cricketer)
Mother- Late Nirmal Sidhu
Sisters- Suman Toor, Late Neelam Mahajan
|Hobbies||Internet surfing and learning new things|
|Controversies||• In 1988, he had a road rage incident, for which he was convicted in 2006, but after appealing to the Indian Supreme Court, his sentence was suspended.
• He was accused by Star India for breaching a contractual agreement by working as a commentator for Set Max's Indian Premier League 2014.
• The All India Sikh Student Federation (AISSF) logged a complaint against him to Akal Takht for twisting words from Gurubani.
• On 18 August 2018, he was among the special guests present at the oath-taking ceremony of Imran Khan at the Aiwan-e-Sadr (the President House) in Islamabad, Pakistan, where he hugged the Pakistani army chief, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, for which he was highly criticised in India.
|Girls, Family & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Navjot Kaur Sidhu (Doctor and Politician)
|Children||Daughter- Rabia Sidhu
Son- Karan Sidhu
|Cars Collection||Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Fortuner, Mini Cooper|
Gold rings worth ₹15 lakh
Watches worth ₹44 lakh
Commerical- Commercial Chotti Baradari, PTA Showroom 146/5
Residential- Yadvindra Colony, PTA H.No. 26
|Salary (approx.)||₹10 crore (as in 2016)
₹1,10,000 (as in 2016) + Other allowances (as an MLA)
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹50 crore (as in 2016)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Navjot Singh Sidhu
- Does Navjot Singh Sidhu smoke?: No
- Does Navjot Singh Sidhu drink alcohol?: No
- Sidhu was born to a Jat Sikh family. His father had also been a cricket player.
- In the 1987 World Cup, he scored 5 fifties in a row.
- He walked out of 1996 tour of England because he thought his captain Mohammad Azharuddin was frequently abusing him.
- He joined politics after retiring from cricket in December 1999.
- He was dropped after playing only two Tests, but he made a strong comeback in the World Cup in 1987.
- He and his wife are known are known for their honest work due to which they have issues with the Akali government in Punjab for their way of working.
- He made a special appearance in various movies like ABCD 2, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and Mera Pind.
- He was a popular contestant of Big Boss 6, but made an early exit due to political commitments.
- Despite being a Sikh, he has immense knowledge and respect for Hindu religion and is a vegetarian too.
- He is considered to have mastered meditation, which he started as a result of tough times after his father’s demise.
- After a long-time absence from his Lok Sabha constituency, an NGO offered a reward of Rs 2 lakh for getting him back.
- After floundering his political designations finally he joined Indian National Congress (INC) on 15 January 2017.