Age: 59 Years
Wife: Navjot Kaur Sidhu
Caste: Jat Sikh
|Nickname(s)||Sixer Sidhu, Sheri Paaji and Sidhu Paaji|
|Profession(s)||Cricketer, Politician and Commentator|
|Political Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)- 2004-2016
• Indian National Congress (INC)- 2017-present
|Political Journey||• Won the 2004 Lok Sabha Elections from Amritsar on a BJP ticket.
• Won the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections by defeating Congress' Om Prakash Soni by 6858 votes from Amritsar.
• Did not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections from any constituency; after Arun Jaitley was given the ticket from Amritsar.
• Became a Rajya Sabha Member on 28 April 2016.
• Resigned from the Rajya Sabha on 18 July 2016.
• In 2016, he formed a new political front - Aawaaz-e-Punjab along with Pargat Singh and Bains brothers.
• Joined the Indian National Congress in January 2017.
• Won the 2017 Punjab Assembly Elections from Amritsar East and became a Minister of Local Bodies.
• In the cabinet reshuffle of the Amarinder Singh Government, he was allocated the Ministry of Power and New and Renewable Energy Sources.
• On 14 July 2019, he twitted a copy of his resignation from the Punjab Cabinet, dated 10 June 2019 and addressed to Rahul Gandhi.
• On 18 July 2021, Congress president Sonia Gandhi appointed him president of the Punjab Congress Committee.
• On 28 September 2021, he resigned as the chief of the Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee, but his rsignation was rejected by the high command. NDTV On 5 November 2021, he took back his resignaion as Punjab Congress chief. The Tribune
• He lost the Amritsar East seat to AAP candidate Jeevanjyot Kaur by a margin of over 6,000 votes in the 2022 Punjab assembly election. NDTV
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in Feet Inches- 6’ 2”
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|International Debut||Test- 12 November 1983 vs West Indies at Ahmedabad
ODI- 9 October 1987 vs Australia at Chennai
|Likes to play against||Pakistan|
|Favourite shots||Hitting over the top
|Records (main ones)||• His highest ODI score of 134 against England at Gwalior in 1993.
• He made a unique record of getting 500 Test runs in a year thrice, in 1993, 1994 and 1997.
• He became the first Indian cricketer to score 5 centuries in ODI's.
• His epic 11 hours at the cricket crease against West Indies in 1996–97, where he made 201 runs.
|Career Turning Point||When he was selected for the 1987 Cricket World Cup.
|Favorite Cricketer||Batsman: Sachin Tendulkar|
|Date of Birth||20 October 1963|
|Age (as of 2022)||59 Years|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|School||Yadavindra Public School, Patiala|
|College||Mohindra College, Panjab University, Chandigarh|
|Family||Father- Late Sardar Bhagwant Singh (Cricketer)
Mother- Late Nirmal Sidhu
Sisters- Suman Toor, Late Neelam Mahajan
|Hobbies||Internet surfing and learning new things|
|Controversies||• In 1988, he had a road rage incident, for which he was convicted in 2006, but after appealing to the Supreme Court, his sentence was suspended.
• He was accused by Star India for breaching a contractual agreement by working as a commentator for Set Max's Indian Premier League 2014.
• The All India Sikh Student Federation (AISSF) logged a complaint against him to Akal Takht for twisting words from Gurubani.
• On 18 August 2018, he was among the special guests present at the oath-taking ceremony of Imran Khan at the Aiwan-e-Sadr (the President House) in Islamabad, Pakistan, where he hugged the Pakistani army chief, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, for which he was highly criticised in India.
• In December 2021, he courted controversy for making a derogatory remark against policemen while praising two party members. During a rally in Sultanpur Lodhi, Sidhu pointed towards sitting MLA Navtej Singh Cheema and said he can “make a thanedar (policeman) wet his pants." Sidhu was slammed over the purported remark by many including former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh and Shiromani Akali Dal leader Daljit Singh Cheema. Dilsher Singh Chandel, Chandigarh Deputy Superintendent of Police, issued a defamation notice against Sidhu. Chandel said, “I have sent a defamation notice to him for humiliating the police." The Hindu
• On 19 May 2022, the Supreme Court sentenced him to one year "rigorous imprisonment" in a road-rage incident that took place in 1988 in which a man was killed. Earlier, the Supreme Court ordered Mr Sidhu to pay a fine of Rs. 1,000 in the same case in 2018. Reportedly, on 27 December 1988, Sidhu had an argument with a man named Gurnam Singh, a resident of Patiala, over a parking spot after which Sidhu and his friend Rupinder Singh Sandhu dragged Gurnam from his car and hit him, and Gurnam later died in hospital. NDTV On 1 April 2023, he came out of Patiala Central Jail after spending almost 10 months in jail. The Times of India
|Girls, Family & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Navjot Kaur Sidhu (Doctor and Politician)
|Children||Daughter- Rabia Sidhu
Son- Karan Sidhu
|Cars Collection||Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Fortuner, Mini Cooper|
Gold rings worth ₹15 lakh
Watches worth ₹44 lakh
Commerical- Commercial Chotti Baradari, PTA Showroom 146/5
Residential- Yadvindra Colony, PTA H.No. 26
|Net Worth (approx.)||INR 50 crore (as of 2016)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Navjot Singh Sidhu
- Does Navjot Singh Sidhu smoke?: No
- Does Navjot Singh Sidhu drink alcohol?: No
- Sidhu was born to a Jat Sikh family. His father had also been a cricket player.
- In the 1987 World Cup, he scored 5 fifties in a row.
- He walked out of 1996 tour of England because he thought his captain Mohammad Azharuddin was frequently abusing him.
- He joined politics after retiring from cricket in December 1999.
- He was dropped after playing only two Tests, but he made a strong comeback in the World Cup in 1987.
- He and his wife are known are known for their honest work due to which they have issues with the Akali government in Punjab for their way of working.
- He made a special appearance in various movies like ABCD 2, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and Mera Pind.
- He was a popular contestant of Big Boss 6, but made an early exit due to political commitments.
- Despite being a Sikh, he has immense knowledge and respect for Hindu religion and is a vegetarian too.
- He is considered to have mastered meditation, which he started as a result of tough times after his father’s demise.
- After a long-time absence from his Lok Sabha constituency, an NGO offered a reward of Rs 2 lakh for getting him back.
- After floundering his political designations finally he joined Indian National Congress (INC) on 15 January 2017.