|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||In kilograms- 70 kg
In pounds- 155 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Natural Black|
|International Debut||ODI- On 30 October 2020 against Bangladesh at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium
T20I- On 24 January 2020 against Bangladesh at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore
Test- Did not play
|Jersey Number||#97 (Pakistan)
|Domestic/State Team||• Lahore Qalandars (2018-present)
• Northern (2019-present)
• Hobart Hurricanes
• Melbourne Stars (2019/20-present)
• Northern (Pakistan)
• Pakistan Shaheens
|Records (main ones)||• Only bowler apart from Rashid Khan to claim two hat-tricks in Big Bash League (BBL). Indian Express Limited
• 2nd fastest delivery in the T20 World Cup 2021 after Enrich Nortje (South Africa) Hayat News
|Date of Birth||7 November 1993 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||28 Years|
|Birth Place||Rawalpindi, Pakistan|
|College||Islamabad Model College|
|Family||Father- Rauf Ahmed|
|Batting Style||Right hand bat|
|Bowling Style||Right arm fast|
|Controversy||'Slit throat' celebration- in a match against Sydney thunders while playing for Melbourne Stars team during a Big Bash League (BBL), he did a throat slit action every time he takes a wicket. This raised an objection by many of the users on internet. The Twitter handle of BBL itself shared a video,calling it cruel and rude. Dainik Bhaskar|
|Family & More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Haris Rauf
- Haris Rauf is a seam bowler from Pakistan who is regarded as one of the fastest bowlers in modern-day’s cricket. He has the ability to bowl consistently for over 145 km/hr speeds.
- He came into the limelight with his performance in T20 World Cup 2021 that helped Pakistan to secure its place in the semis on 26 October 2021 against the Kiwis. Kiwis were batting first. They were going strong with 36 for no loss in five overs. Then, captain, Babar Azam decided to hand over the ball to Haris Rauf. He didn’t disappoint his captain and scalped the prize wicket of Martin Guptill in the sixth over. Guptill was trying to make a room towards the leg side. Rauf followed him up and hit the stump directly giving Pakistan their first breakthrough. This spell was applauded by many cricket fans across the world. Some of the Tweets were like,
SO SO SO IMPRESSED WITH HARIS RAUF. 🔥🔥🔥🔥 He has been super quick but he is proving to be such a smart bowler in this world cup so far. 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽🇵🇰💚 You can literally see him putting so much effort & energy. This can be a match winning performance!!! #PAKvNZ #T20WorldCup
— Asim Azhar (@AsimAzharr) October 26, 2021
What a spell by Haris Rauf!! Absolutely brilliant performance by our bowlers- had the game in control the entire time! Here’s hoping Pakistan make this an easy chase! Come on boys! 🇵🇰🤩🤞🤞 #PAKvNZ #T20WorldCup
— Hadeel Obaid (@hadouken51) October 26, 2021
- Talking about his performance in the T20 World Cup 2021, former Australian Leg spinner Bradd Hogg said,
“He knows that he’s raw, a little wet behind the ears, he knows he’s not got much experience and knowledge at the international level. So, he’s listening to his teammates out in the middle, like Babar Azam for one, Malik and Hafeez, those experienced players, just to give him the comfort of the ball that he wants to bowl next in those pressure situations. I thought that was brilliant and he did the same thing against New Zealand. You’ve got to adapt and you can adapt.“
He further adds,
“One thing that he has got to be careful of is that he’s bowling that slower ball in a pattern. He is bowling alternate slower balls, so opposition teams are going to work this out and wait for the slower deliveries. So, he needs to shake up his pattern.”
- Since childhood, he wanted to be a professional footballer. He worked as a salesman at the shop in Rawalpindi besides just playing tape-ball cricket. His joining in cricket happened because of his coach who advised him to go for a trial of the Lahore Qalandar team.
- In an interview with a local channel, Haris Rauf told,
“Lahore Qalandars ka trial tha aur Tarif bhai (a coach) speed gun leke khade huye the (it was a Lahore Qalandars trial and Tarif bhai was standing with a speed gun). Ek banda 87 mari, toh mein socha mere ko is se zyada tez dalna hai (someone bowled at 87 mph, so I thought I had to bowl quicker than him). Toh jab ball dala, speed gun 88 dikhaya (so when I bowled, the speed gun showed 88 mph). Tabhi mere ko next round jane ka mauka mila (only then did I get the pass to qualify for the next round).”
- In 2017, he revealed Indian Express Limited
“My father didn’t like cricket. He said without recommendation, you weren’t going to make a career. Then I got picked for Lahore Qalandars, where talent rather than recommendation has been the only yardstick.”
In 2019, he was signed by the Melbourne team to play in the Big Bash League replacing the injured Dale Steyn where he picked 20 wickets in his debut season.
- Talking about Haris Rauf’s journey in world cricket, a former Pakistani batter Salman Butt said,
“Yeh ek aise emerging star hai joh GT Road se nahi aaye hain (he’s one emerging star whose entry to the Pakistan team hasn’t been linear).”
- During a match in 2020 PSL, he apologized to Shahid Afridi after taking his wicket. To this, his coach Aaqib Javed said,
“He is going through a learning curve. He is grooming well, respecting his seniors. It’s imperative to grow not only as a cricketer but as a human being as well. I feel good when I see his development.”
- He had an exceptional PSL and BBL season. As a result, he soon got selected for the national team in January 2020. He made his T20 International debut in January 2020 where he took one wicket of Afif Hosein against the Bangladeshi team after conceding 32 runs in four overs. In June 2020, he was selected in Pakistan’s squad for the tour of England but was omitted out due to his COVID-19 positive report along with two other players. He was replaced by Mohammad Amir in the Test squad. In October 2020, he made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe. In this match, he was bowling the opening spell along with Shaheen Shah Afridi but couldn’t manage to scalp a single wicket. Pakistan won this match by 26 runs after posing 281 runs on the board.
- Two days later, in the next series, he got his maiden ODI wicket of their captain Chamu Chibhabha; caught behind. In the next two games, he took 2 and 3 wickets against Zimbabwe. His best bowling performance came against England on 13 July 2021. Having batted first, Pakistan scored 331 runs in their first inning with Babar Azam topping the scoring with 158 runs off 139 deliveries. In the seventh over, when England was batting, Rauf removed their opener Phil Salt on 37 runs when the team’s score was 53 runs. He also took three more wickets but couldn’t prevent his team’s defeat by three wickets.
- In July 2021, he was named in Category-C by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) of the Centrally Contracted Players 2020-21. In an official release issued by the PCB, Haris told, Asian News International
“I am very happy to get this news in Derby and of course, would take it as a motivation for this year.”
- He played 8 ODI games (until October 2021) and took 14 wickets with an economy of 5.97. His best bowling is four wickets for 65 runs which came against England on 13 July 2021. He has taken his most wickets in England (6 wickets). His record in away ODI matches is better than home with 13 wickets. He has played under Babar Azam in this format of cricket.
- In T20Is, he played 27 matches (until October 2021) and took 35 wickets with an economy of 8.58. His best bowling performance of 4 wickets for 22 runs came against New Zealand on 26 October 2021. Against the same side, he has taken the most wickets (9 wickets). In T20I, he has played under the captaincy of Babar Azam and Shadab Khan.