|Nickname(s)||Rawalpindi Express, Tiger|
|Profession||Former Pakistani Cricketer|
|Famous For||Delivering the fastest ball in the history of Cricket (161.3 km/h) Daily Telegraph|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 42 inches
- Waist: 32 inches
- Biceps: 16 inches
|International Debut||ODI- 28 March 1998 against Zimbabwe in Harare
Test- 29 November 1997 against West Indies in Rawalpindi
T20- 28 August 2006 against England in Bristol
|International Retirement||ODI- 8 March 2011 against New Zealand at Pallekele International Cricket Stadium
Test- 8 December 2007 against India at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium
T20- 28 December 2010 against New Zealand at Seddon Park
|Jersey Number||#14 (Pakistan)
#14 (IPL, County Cricket)
|Domestic/State Team(s)||Rawalpindi, Kolkata Knightriders, Somerset, Durham and Worcestershire|
|Favourite Ball||Reverse Swing|
|Records (main ones)||• Fastest ball ever with the speed of 161.3 km/h.
• Remaining not out in 12 successive ODI innings.
|Career Turning Point||After dismissing Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar off consecutive deliveries in the first match of the Asian Test Championship at Kolkata in 1999.|
|Date of Birth||13 August 1975|
|Age (as in 2018)||43 Years|
|Birthplace||Morgah, Rawalpindi, Pakistan|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|School||Elliot High School, Rawalpindi, Pakistan|
|College/University||Asghar Mall College, Rawalpindi, Pakistan|
|Hobbies||Singing, Listening to Music, Watching Hindi Films|
|Controversies||• After a verbal conflict with Waqar Yunis in the 2003 World Cup, he was sacked along with other players; including Yunis.
• In a triangular series held in Sri Lanka in 2003, he was caught ball tampering; becoming the second player to be banned on ball tampering charges. The same year, he was banned for two ODIs and one Test for abusing South African spin bowler Paul Adams; during a match against South Africa.
• He was sent back from the 2005 Australia tour amid rumours of indiscipline; although his hamstring injury was also one of the reasons.
• In February 2006, he was banned for two years for allegedly using performance-enhancing drugs.
• In November 2006, an officer named Anil Kaul, who was assigned to the Pakistan Team in India, alleged that Akhtar had slapped former coach Bob Woolmer following a fight over the music to be played in the team bus on the eve of ICC Champions Trophy.
• In October 2006, the Pakistan Cricket Board suspended Akhtar, along with Mohammed Asif, after they tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance nandrolone.
• According to Pakistan news reports, Akhtar had also been arrested along with drugs in 2003.
• According to sources, Akhtar had fight with Mohammad Asif in the dressing room; in the week before the inaugural World Twenty20. During the fight, Akhtar was rumoured to have hit Asif with a bat; leaving a bruise on his left thigh. Reportedly, the fight started after Asif and Shahid Afridi disagreed with Shoaib that he shared the same stature as Imran Khan in Pakistan cricket.
• In 2008, he was banned for five years for violating the players' code of conduct.
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Sonali Bendre, Actress (Rumoured)
|Marriage Date||25 June 2014|
|Children||Son- Muhammad Mikaeel Ali
|Parents||Father- Mohammad Akhtar
Mother- Hameeda Awan
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Shahid (Elder), Tahir (Elder), Obaid (Elder), and Late Shoaib
Sister- Shumaila (Younger)
|Favourite Cricketer(s)||Batsmen- Sachin Tendulkar, Adam Gilchrist, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Inzamam-ul-Haq, and Rahul Dravid
Bowler(s)- Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram, and Imran Khan
Batsman- Javed MiandadABY News
|Favourite Cricket Ground(s)||Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) and Eden Gardens, Kolkata|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favourite Actress||Marina Khan (She was his childhood crush as well), Sonali Bendre|
|Favourite Film||Gladiator (2000)|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar|
|Favourite Colour(s)||Black and Blue|
|Favourite Perfume||Hugo Boss|
|Cars Collection||• Mercedes SL (R129)
• Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
• Honda Civic
|Bikes Collection||• Ducati 999
• Honda CBR Fireblade
|Net Worth||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shoaib Akhtar
- Does Shoaib Akhtar smoke?: Yes
- Does Shoaib Akhtar alcohol?: Yes
- His childhood was very difficult; as his family had so poor economic conditions that once their roof collapsed one night, and they struggled to protect themselves from the rain.
- In his childhood, Shoaib used to bowl with pebbles and stones near his house. He says-
“I used to throw rocks on the mountains next to my house. I used to build up muscles by throwing rocks. Then I started bowling with the rocks.”
- He was a fine sprinter in his school days and used to run the 100-meter races. However, during an interview, he revealed that he could walk until the age of five. The Guardian
- Shoaib Akhtar didn’t pick up a ball until he was 15. He recalls of his first outing-
“My brother was captain of the local club. “I went to watch him play and they were a guy short. I said: ‘I’ll play.’ My brother laughed: ‘You?’ But the others persuaded him. I think everyone was quite impressed when I came on to bowl.”
- He was first noticed by Isthaq Shah, the President of Rawalpindi Real Cricket association of the 90s. He was so impressed with his bowling that he offered him to play in a Test match against New-Zealand.
- He started playing serious cricket at the age of 19 or 20.
- During an interview, when asked about where does all the talent come from in Pakistan, he replied, from the streets, He went on to say-
“Bhai log they hum log. Dada log they. Mazaak karte they, halla gulla karte they; ladkiyon ke saath. Achanak cricket khelna shuru kardiya.”
- He bowled the fastest ball in cricket history with 161.3 km/h (100.2 miles/h); against England in the 2003 World Cup at Cape Town, South Africa.
- Guess, to which batsman Shoaib Akhtar scared of the most, well, it’s not Sachin Tendulkar, but Rahul Dravid who was the biggest nightmare for Akhtar. Once, he compared Dravid to boxing legend Muhammad Ali; saying the Indian batting great “would tire you out.” Dawn
- He was offered the role in film “Gangster” by Mahesh Bhatt, but the PCB didn’t allow him.
- He considers Mohammad Zahid of Pakistan as the fastest bowler he ever saw.
- Apart from cricket, he likes to play Snooker and Football.
- He is a die hard fan of Kishore Kumar. Here’s a video; showing his singing skills-
- He was so scared of Sachin’s hammering at the 2003 World Cup that he asked the captain Waqar Younis to take him off the attack.
- Shoaib Akhtar hates net-practice. In an interview he said-
“Nets destroy fast bowlers. In the net, the pitch area looks smaller. And you are in a cocoon. Even if you are hit, how far will the ball go? Into the side net. You won’t get humiliated. Come outside, on a pitch, if you bowl slightly loose, you will be hit for four through the gap. Then you will hurt. Then you will come back strongly. That makes a bowler.”
- He is also considered to have the longest run-up in the history of cricket.
- Throughout his 18 year cricket career, he underwent injuries for several times. On his injuries, he says-
“I used to crawl to my bathroom every day of my career. I used to limp out of my bed. I can’t remember a day I didn’t have pain in my knees for the last 18 years.”
References/Sources: [ + ]