Some Lesser Known Facts About Jamyang Tsering Namgyal
- Jamyang Tsering Namgyal is a Member of Parliament from Ladakh. He was elected in the 2019 General Elections. He came into the limelight after his speech in the Lok Sabha in favour of the revocation of Article 370 and 35A.
- In his younger days, Jamyang was employed as a tour guide.
- During his college days, he was the President of the All Ladakh Student Association in Jammu for a year.
- In 2013, he published a poetry book titled, “A Gift of Poetry”.
- Jamyang loves river-rafting.
- He successfully managed the election campaign of the former BJP Ladakh MP Thupstan Chhewang in 2014.
- In 2014, he was appointed as the Private Secretary to the former Ladakh MP Thupstan Chhewang.
- Jamyang’s biggest political demands have been- Union Territory status for Ladakh and the inclusion of the Bhoti Language (Ladakhi language) in the eighth schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- On 6 August 2019, he gave a speech in the Lok Sabha in the favour of the revocation of Article 370 and Article 35A.
- His speech went viral on the internet. People on social media praised him for speaking in such a strong stance in favour of the people of Ladakh. He was also praised for his wish to make Ladakh a strong and relevant UT.
- He was praised by Narendra Modi for his speech. He also posted a tweet with a link to his speech and stated- “It is a must-hear”.
My young friend, Jamyang Tsering Namgyal who is @MPLadakh delivered an outstanding speech in the Lok Sabha while discussing key bills on J&K. He coherently presents the aspirations of our sisters and brothers from Ladakh. It is a must hear! https://t.co/XN8dGcTwx6
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 6, 2019
- A day after his speech, his twitter followers grew from 4500 to 1.28 Lac.
- Union Minister Smriti Irani also posted a photo with Jamyang stating that he was the hero of the day.
— Smriti Z Irani (@smritiirani) August 6, 2019
- Here’s a detailed video about Jamyang Tsering Namgyal’s biography: