Husband: Zubin Irani
Net Worth: Rs. 11.11 Crore
|Real Name||Smriti Malhotra|
|Profession(s)||Actress, Model, Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||2003: Joined BJP
2004: Contested the Lok Sabha Elections from Chandi Chowk in Delhi and lost to Congress candidate Kapil Sibal. The same year, she was absorbed as a Vice-President for the Maharashtra youth wing
2009: Campaigned for Vijay Goel's candidature in New Delhi
2010: Appointed as the National Secretary of the party and was roped in as the President of the Mahila (women) wing for BJP
2011: Became a member of the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat
2014: Contested the Lok Sabha Elections against Rahul Gandhi in the Amethi Constituency and lost by 1,07,923 votes. However, Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed her as the Minister of Human Resource Development in his cabinet
2016: In July, the Ministry of Human Resource Development was taken away from Irani, and she was given the Ministry of Textiles instead, in a cabinet reshuffle
2017: In July, she was handed the additional charge of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
2018: In May, the additional charge of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting was taken away from her and was given to Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
2019: Contested the Lok Sabha Elections against Rahul Gandhi in the Amethi Constituency and won by a margin of 55,120 votes and became the Minister of Women and Child Development
|Biggest Rival||Rahul Gandhi|
|Debut||Video Song: Song "Boliyan" of the album "Saawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag" with Mika Singh in 1998
TV Serial: Aatish and Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal, both aired on Star Plus in 2000
TV Producer: Virrudh for Sony TV in 2007
TV Host: Yeh Hai Jalwa, a dance based reality show on 9X in 2008
Film (Actress): Amrita, a Bengali film in 2012
|Date of Birth||23 March 1976|
|Age (as in 2019)||43 Years|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||Holy Child Auxilium School, New Delhi|
|College/University||School of Open Learning, University of Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||• 12th Pass
• Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) first year from Delhi University's School of Open Learning (did not complete the three-year degree course)
|Caste/Ethnicity||• Half-Punjabi half-Maharashtrian (from her father's side)
• Bengali-Assamese (from her mother's side)
|Address||A-602, Neptune Apartments, Swami Samarth Nagar 4th Cross Lane, Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri West, Mumbai 400053|
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga, Listening to Music, Travelling, Playing Carrom|
|Controversies||• Her educational qualification became controversial in 2014 when she made contradictory claims regarding her educational degrees. In 2004, she claimed to have a degree in BA while in 2014 she claimed to have a degree in Commerce.
• She was criticized for not taking appropriate action in the suicide case of a Dalit student of Hyderabad University, Rohit Vemula.
• A number of central-university Vice Chancellors criticized Irani when she sacked two vice chancellors, during her tenure as HRD Minister.
• In October 2014, a furor was created over her decision to replace German with Sanskrit as the third language in Kendriya Vidyalayas.
• Management institutes i.e., IIMs were at the loggerheads with Irani when she cleared a clause to include the IIMs under the ambit of her ministry.
• A number of bureaucrats left her ministry citing her high-handed way of functioning.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 2001|
|Husband/Spouse||Zubin Irani (Businessman)
|Children||Son- Zohr Irani (Born in 2001)
Daughters- Zoish Irani (Born in 2003), Shanelle Irani (Step-daughter)
|Parents||Father- Ajay Kumar Malhotra
Mother- Shibani Bagchi
|Siblings||Brother- Name Not Known
Sister(s)- Two Younger Sisters (Names Not Known)
|Favourite Food||Gujarati Cuisines, Pizza, Chocolates|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Dharmendra, Saif Ali Khan, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favourite Actress(es)||Rekha, Hema Malini|
|Favourite Cartoon Show||Tom and Jerry|
|Favourite Politician(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Favourite Film(s)||Mr. India (1987), Avengers Series|
|Favourite Film Director||Shekhar Kapur|
|Assets/Properties||Movable: Rs. 3.83 Crore (as in 2019)
Immovable: Rs. 7.28 Crore (as in 2019)
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances (as in 2019)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 11.11 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Smriti Irani
- Does Smriti Irani smoke?: No
- Does Smriti Irani drink alcohol?: No
- Smriti Irani is a popular Indian TV actress-turned-politician.
- Her mother was a member of Jana Sangh and her grandfather was an RSS Swayamsevak.
- When Smriti Irani was still a schoolgirl in Delhi, her parents had invited an astrologer to predict their three daughters’ futures. The astrologer declared that while her two younger sisters would do all right, “Badi Ladki Ka Kuchh Nahin Hoga.”
- In an interview, she revealed that her parents had no big dreams for her either; they just wanted her to get married to a good boy.
- Growing up in Delhi, Smriti wanted to become either a civil servant or a journalist. However, her father didn’t approve of any of them; as he thought that neither profession would suit her.
- Thereafter, she packed her bags for Mumbai where she participated in the Femina Miss India contest in 1998. However, she couldn’t reach the top 9. In the contest, Lymaraina D’Souza had become the winner.
- In the early days of her career, Irani worked at McDonald’s in Bandra, Mumbai as a waitress. On his job at McDonald’s, Smriti says-
All I wanted at that point was to graduate to the next level where I would be the one standing and welcoming guests to McDonald’s. That meant more money.”
- She appeared in a song of the album “Saawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag” with Mika Singh in 1998.
- Smriti was first spotted by the TV producer Shobha Kapoor (Ekta Kapoor’s mother) when she was working with the producer of a show called Bakeman’s Ooh La La.
- In the mid-2000, she became a household name when she played the role of Tulsi Virani in Ekta Kapoor’s production “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi” on Star Plus. The serial ran for eight years and Smriti became India’s most loved Bahu. Smriti says she never saw even a single episode of the serial though.
- Before her TV stint, Smriti had also done numerous modelling assignments.
- She holds the record for the maximum number (consecutively five times) of Indian Television Academy Awards for Best Actress (popular).
- Reportedly, she developed differences with Ekta Kapoor and left the show in 2007. However, in 2008, she made a comeback in a special episode.
- She also played the mythological role of Sita in Zee TV’s Ramayan in 2001.
- In 2003, while Kyunki… was still at its peak, Smriti joined the BJP, a party which was then looking after a high-profile showbiz star into its fold.
- In 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, she contested unsuccessfully against Rahul Gandhi from the Amethi Constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed her as HRD Minister in his cabinet on 26 May 2014, making her the youngest Cabinet Minister at that time.
- Smriti has also been one of the BJP’s most visible faces in media interactions.
- She has always been in demand for rallies and campaigning as she is fluent in Hindi, English, Gujarati, Marathi, and Bengali.
- During her campaign in the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, in which she went on to defeat Rahul Gandhi, she did firefighter avatar in dousing a fire which had broken out in a village in Amethi.