|Real Name||Smriti Malhotra|
|Profession||Indian politician, Former Model, Television Actress and Producer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 82 kg
in Pounds- 181 lbs
|Date of Birth||23 March 1976|
|Age (as in 2017)||41 Years|
|Birth Place||New Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aries|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Holy Child Auxilium School, New Delhi|
|College||University of Delhi, Delhi|
|Educational Qualifications||Not Known|
|Debut||Film: Malik Ek (Hindi, 2010)
TV: Aatish and Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal (Hindi, 2000)
Politics: Joined Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) in 2003
|Family||Father- Shri Ajay Kumar Malhotra (Punjabi Khatri)
Mother- Smt. Shibani Bagchi (Bengali)
|Hobbies||Horoscope, Reading, Music|
|Major Controversies||• Her educational qualification became controversial in 2014 when she made contradictory claims regarding her educational degrees. In 2004, she claimed to have a degree in BA while in 2014 she claimed to have a degree in Commerce.
• She was criticized for not taking appropriate action in the suicide case of a Dalit student of Hyderabad University, Rohit Vemula.
• A number of central-university Vice Chancellors criticized Irani when she sacked two vice chancellors, during her tenure as HRD Minister.
• In October 2014, a furor was created over her decision to replace German with Sanskrit as the third language in Kendriya Vidyalayas.
• Management institutes i.e., IIMs were at the loggerheads with Irani when she cleared a clause to include the IIMs under the ambit of her ministry.
• A number of bureaucrats left her ministry citing her high-handed way of functioning.
|Favourite Food||Gujrati Cuisines, Tea, Coffee|
|Favourite Actress||Rekha, Hema Malini|
|Favourite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband||Zubin Irani (Businessman, m.2001-present)
|Children||Son- Zohr Irani (Born in 2001)
Daughters- Zoish Irani (Born in 2003), Shanelle Irani (Step-daughter)
|Net Worth||4 Crore (INR)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Smriti Irani
- Does Smriti Irani smoke?: No
- Does Smriti Irani drink alcohol?: No
- Her mother was a member of Jana Sangh and her grandfather was an RSS Swayamsevak, so, she has been too a part of RSS Swayamsevak Sangh from her childhood.
- In the early days of her career, Irani worked at the Mc Donalds in Bandra, Mumbai as a waitress.
- She appeared in a song of the album “Saawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag” with Mika Singh in 1998.
- In mid-2000, she became a household name when she played the role of Tulsi Virani in Ekta Kapoor’s production “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi” on Star Plus.
- She holds the record for the maximum number (consecutively five times) of Indian Television Academy Awards for Best Actress (popular).
- She had differences with Ekta Kapoor and left the show in 2007. However, in 2008, she made a comeback in a special episode.
- She also played the mythological role of Sita in Zee TV’s Ramayan in 2001.
- She joined BJP in 2003 and became Vice President of Maharashtra Youth Wing in 2004.
- Irani contested unsuccessfully in the 2004 General Elections for the 14th Lok Sabha against Kapil Sibal of Indian National Congress from the Chandni Chowk Constituency of Delhi.
- On 24 June 2010, she was appointed All India President of “BJP Mahila Morcha” – BJP’s women’s wing.
- In August 2011, Irani became Rajya Sabha Member from Gujarat.
- In 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, she contested unsuccessfully against Rahul Gandhi from the Amethi Constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed her as HRD Minister in his cabinet on 26 May 2014, making her the youngest Cabinet Minister at that time.
- On 5th July 2016, she was shifted from HRD Ministry to the Textiles Ministry in a massive Cabinet Reshuffle of the Central Government.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)