Some Lesser Known Facts About Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi
- On 22 March 1954, at the age of 19, he was appointed as a 69th successor to the Mutt and was given the title ‘Sri Jayendra Saraswathi’ by Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswati Swamigal.
- He had good knowledge of the Vedanta, Rig Veda, Upanishads, Nyaya, Vyakarana, Tarka shastras and other Hindu scriptures.
- He lived an austere life with minimal eating, less sleeping and avoiding other material pleasures.
- On 22 March 1994, he became the Peetathipathi of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham after the death of Peethathipathi, Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Swamigal.
- His math (monastery) runs several schools, hospitals, eye clinics, and public welfare institutions.
- He fought against untouchability and social inequality to bring reforms in the society.
- He liked to travel in a private aircraft with his close associates.
- He had good relationships with the political leader like Jayalalithaa the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- In 2002, in an interview, he called the Babri Masjid ‘just a vijayastambham’ (a victory pillar) and said that the Ayodhya dispute was possible to resolve outside the court.
- In 2016, he was acquitted of the murder case of Sankarraman, an accountant in his math.
- Due to breathing problems, he was admitted to the Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre close to the Kamakshi Amman temple, where he left his body on 28th February 2018.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)