Some Lesser Known Facts About Vashishtha Narayan Singh
- Does Vashishtha Narayan Singh smoke?: Not Known
- Does Vashishtha Narayan Singh drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Since childhood, he was a brilliant student at Mathematics.
- In 1961, he was selected to Patna Science College. He got annoyed whenever the teacher taught wrong. When he objected, teacher sent him to Principal.
- Once, he was sent to the Principal office, Principal asked him some tough questions, he solved them with numerous methods and left everyone shocked.
- During the first year of his BSc Mathematics, Narayan Singh was allowed to appear in the final exams of that course, miraculously, he topped.
- When he came into MSc first year, again, he was allowed to appear in MSc last year examination and again he topped.
- When he was studying in Patna Science College, he was noticed by John L. Kelley, a professor at the University of California. Professor Kelley gave him five difficult problems and Narayan Singh solved them with many methods. Mr. Kelley got impressed and requested him to come to America for further study.
- In 1963, he moved to America to receive higher education, where he studied in the University of California. He missed his family very much so he used to write letters to home.
- After receiving his Ph.D., he worked at NASA too. But, he came back to India in 1972.
- It is said that he was present at the Mission Apollo at NASA and then some computers broke down, due to this, calculations stopped and everyone was waiting for a mechanic. At that time, Narayan Singh made calculations on fingers and when computers got repaired, all the calculations made by him were right.
- Many believe that Narayan Singh also challenged Einstein’s theory of relativity through his works.
- After returning to India, he taught at IIT Kanpur, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), and then he worked at Indian Statistical Institute at Kolkata.
- In the early 1970s, he was suffering from Schizophrenia and when he got married in 1973, his wife noticed his abnormal behaviour for the first time and told the whole story to her parents.
- According to his brother, Ayodhya Singh, that he became very sad when his work and researches were misappropriated by some professors and used them for their own credit.
- In 1974, he suffered first epilepsy and after that, his treatment started and in 1976, he was admitted at a hospital in Ranchi.
- He did not get well and got disappeared in 1989. Later, in 1993, he was found in a very miserable condition at Doriganj in Saran district, Bihar.
- He was sent him to NIMHANS, Bengaluru by the then chief minister Lalu Prasad Yadav.
- In 2013, he was appointed as a guest professor at Bhupendra Narayan Mandal University (BNMU) in Madhepura, Bihar.
- Now, he walks all the day and talks to books and writes mathematical formulae on walls, railings, boards, etc.
- In an interview, his brother said that when Narayan Singh came from America, he brought 10 boxes of books and he reads them since then. He often goes to the village’s local schools without any purpose and children tease him there.
- Bollywood Director Prakash Jha said that he would make a biopic on Narayan Singh’s life.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)