|Real Name||Lata Mangeshkar|
|Nickname||The Nightingale of Bollywood|
|Profession||Indian playback singer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 155 cm
in meters- 1.55 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 1”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 63 kg
in Pounds- 139 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Music Teacher(s)||Deenanath Mangeshkar (father)
Ustad Amanat Ali Khan
Amanat Khan Devaswale
Pandit Tulsidas Sharma
|Date of Birth||28 September 1929|
|Age (as in 2016)||87 Years|
|Birth Place||Indore, Indore State, Central India Agency, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Libra|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India (Ancestral origin - Lusiana, Italy)|
|School||Attended a Catholic School in Orbassano, a town near Turin, Italy
|College||Bell Educational Trust's language school, Cambridge City, England|
|Educational Qualifications||Not Known|
|Debut||In 1997 when she joined the Indian National Congress as a Primary Member.|
|Family||Father- Deenanath Mangeshkar
Mother- Shevanti Mangeshkar
Brother- Hridaynath Mangeshkar (younger)
Sisters- Usha Mangeshkar (younger), Asha Bhosle (younger), Meena khadikar (younger)
|Hobbies||Watching Cricket, Riding Bicycles|
|Major Controversies||• At one point of time, differences arose between Lata Mangeshkar & Mohammad Rafi over the royalty issue as Lata wanted share in the music albums while Rafi advocated for the salary only.
• Differences also arose between Lata abd S. D. Burman and for 7 years they refused to work with each other.
|Favourite Food||Spicy Foods, Coca Cola|
|Favourite Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Dev Anand|
|Favourite Actresse(s)||Nargis, Meena Kumari|
|Favourite Music Director(s)||Ghulam Haidar, Madan Mohan, Laxmikant Pyarelal, A. R. Rahman|
|Favourite Film||Kismet (1943), James Bond Films|
|Favourite Cricketer||Sachin Tendulkar|
|Favourite Destination||Los Angeles|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Bhupen Hazarika (Lyricist)
|Net Worth (approx.)||$10 million (as in 2016)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Lata Mangeshkar
- Does Lata Mangeshkar smoke?: No
- Does Lata Mangeshkar drink alcohol?: No
- She was born to a Marathi speaking family- Deenanath Mangeshkar and Shevanti (Shubhamati) in the princely state of Indore which was a part of Central India Agency (now Madhya Pradesh).
- Her father was a theater actor and classical singer.
- Her mother, Shevanti, was Deenanath’s 2nd wife.
- Her father, Deenanath, changed the surname of family from Hardikar to Mangeshkar as he wanted to identify his family with their native town- Mangeshi in Goa.
- When Lata was born, she was named Hema which her parents later renamed as Lata which was a female character Latika in one of her father’s plays- BhaawBandhan.
- Her 1st Public performance was in 1938 at Nutan Theater, Sholapur where she sang Raag Khambavati and 2 Marathi songs.
- Lata started working as an actress at the age of 5 in her father’s musical plays- Sangeet Natak in Marathi.
- She went to school for only one day. It is said that on the very 1st day of her school, she brought her younger sister, Asha, and started teaching music to other students and when teachers intervened, she was so furious that she stopped going to the school.
- When she was 13 years old, her father died of heart disease in 1942 and after her father’s death, one of the close friends of the Mangeshkar family- Master Vinayak (Vinayak Damodar Karnataki) took care of her family and helped her starting a career as an actress and singer.
- She sang her 1st song- Naachu Yaa Gade, Khelu Saari Mani Haus Bhaari for the Marathi film- Kiti Hasaal in 1942, however, the song was later dropped from the final cut.
- She sang her debut song- Natali Chaitraachi Navalaai for the Marathi film- Pahili Mangalaa-gaur in 1942.
- Her 1st Hindi song was- Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu for the Marathi film- Gajaabhaau in 1943.
- Lata moved to Mumbai in 1945.
- She played a minor role along with her sister Asha in Master Vinayak’s 1st Hindi film- Badi Maa (1945).
- When Ghulam Haidar (music director) introduced Lata to producer Sashadhar Mukherjee who was making a film- Shaheed (1948), Mukherjee dismissed Lata’s voice as “too thin” to this Haidar responded- “in coming years producers and directors would “fall at Lata’s feet” and “beg her” to sing in their movies.”
- Lata’s 1st breakthrough hit song was- Dil Mera Toda, Mujhe Kahin Ka Na Chhora from the film- Majboor (1948).
- In an interview Lata Mangeshkar declared that Ghulam Haidar was her true Godfather who trusted her talent.
- It is said that initially she imitated the acclaimed singer- Noor Jehan, but later she developed her own singing style.
- When Dilip Kumar (actor) remarked about her Maharashtrian accent while singing Urdu/Hindi songs, she took lessons in Urdu from an Urdu teacher- Shafi.
- She became wide-popular after the song- Aayega Aanewala from the movie- Mahal (1949). The song is considered one of the toughest songs to sing in the music fraternity and it is said that nobody can sing this song as beautifully as Lata has sung.
- In 1956, her song- Rasik Balma from the movie- Chori Chori won Filmfare award for the best song. Since Filmfare Awards were introduced in 1958 and also there was no category for Playback Singers, she could not get the award and after her protest the category was included in 1958.
- Lata won her 1st Filmfare Award for the Best Playback Singer for the song- Aaja Re Pardesi from the movie- Madhumati (1958). She monopolized the Filmfare awards for the Best Playback Female Singer from 1958 to 1966 and it was stopped in 1969 only when she gave up Filmfare awards in an unusual gesture to promote fresh talents.
- She won her 1st National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for songs in the film- Parichay (1972).
- She also holds the record for the oldest winner (age 61) of National film Award in the category of Best Female Playback Singer for the movie- Lekin (1990).
- She was given slow poison in the early 1962 and after that she was bed-ridden for almost 3 months.
- On 27 January 1963, Lata sang a patriotic song- Aye Mere Watan Ke logo against the backdrop of Sino-India war. The song brought Jawaharlal Nehru (the then Prime Minister of India) to tears.
- Lata sang maximum number of songs (712) for Music Director- Laxmikant Pyarelal .
- She has also produced 4 films- Vadai (Marathi 1953), Jhaanjhar (Hindi 1953), Kanchan (Hindi 1955) and Lekin (1990).
- Madhya Pradesh Government and Maharashtra Government has instituted Lata Mangeshkar Award in 1984 and 1992 respectively.
- She hates make-up and lights.
- In an interview she revealed that meeting K L Saigal and singing for Dilip Kumar are her unfulfilled desires.
- She has sung more than 50000 songs in 14 different languages.