|Real Name||Chinnaswamy Swaminathan Karnan|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 80 kg
in Pounds- 176 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper (Semi-bald)|
|Date of Birth||12 June 1955|
|Age (as in 2017)||62 Years|
|Birth Place||Karnatham, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Karnatham, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu|
|School||Adi Dravidar School, Karnantham village, Tamil Nadu
Mangalampet High School, Tamil Nadu
|College||Thiru Kolanjiappar Government Arts College, Virudhachalam, Tamil Nadu
New College, Chennai
Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College, Chennai
|Educational Qualifications||B.Sc. Botany
|Debut||As an advocate before the Bar Council of Tamil Nadu|
|Family||Father- C Swaminathan (Teacher)
Mother- Kamalam Ammal (Homemaker)
Brothers- S Manonidhi (Retired employee of NLC), Deivanidhi (Advocate), Arivudai Nambi (Advocate), Thiruvalluvar (Police Inspector)
|Caste||Scheduled Caste (SC)|
|Controversies||• In November 2011, he complained to the 'National Commission for Scheduled Castes', alleging that he was being harassed and victimised by fellow judges because he belonged to the Scheduled Caste (SC).
• In January 2017, CS Karnan named 20 sitting and retired Supreme Court and High Court judges of being corrupt and released an initial list in an open letter to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• The Supreme Court served a showcause notice against him for speaking against members of the judiciary. The Supreme Court summoned CS Karnan who was attached to the Calcutta High Court to appear before it on 13 February 2017 to speak out before the apex court initiates contempt charges. However, he neither replied nor appeared in the apex court.
• On 1 May 2017, the Supreme Court ordered a medical examination of CS Karnan by a board of doctors, to be set up by a government hospital in Kolkata. Though he refused to undergo a medical check-up and gave in writing to the doctors, "I declined to avail medical treatment since I am quite normal and have a stable mind. "Further my strong view about the Supreme Court order (is that) it amounts to insult and harassment towards the judge (myself)."
• On 8 May 2017, he issued an order sentencing eight Supreme Court judges to 5 years of "rigorous imprisonment" and imposed a fine of INR 1,00,000 each under the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act of 1989 and the amended Act of 2015. Thus, the Supreme Court found Justice CS Karnan guilty of contempt of court and sentenced him to 6 years imprisonment.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Children||Son- S K Sugan (Businessman), S K Kamalnath
|Salary||80 thousand/month (INR)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Justice CS Karnan
- Does Justice CS Karnan smoke?: Not Known
- Does Justice CS Karnan drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Justice CS Karnan was born to a family that has an exemplary academic pedigree.
- His father was a teacher, a former president of Cuddalore, Villupuram teachers’ welfare association, and was a recipient of the President’s best teacher award.
- He started his civil practice by enrolling as an advocate before the Bar Council of Tamil Nadu.
- He served as a legal adviser to Metro Water organisation, government advocate in civil suits and standing counsel for the Government of India, with 25 years of experience as a lawyer.
- His original name was ‘S Karunanidhi’, which he changed to ‘Chinnasamy Swaminathan Karnan’ in 1991, on the numerological basis.
- He has served as a judge in the Madras High Court since 2009.
- In 2013, CS Karnan passed a much-criticised order which created a new law. The penal law allows a woman to approach a court when a man deserts a woman after pre-marital sex with a promise to marry her. Justice Karnan ruled that apart from the penal law, the woman could claim social status as his wife if the man were 21 and single and the woman 18 and single and that the premise of the pre-marital sex was marriage.
- In early 2016, his transfer was ordered to Calcutta High Court by the Supreme Court. However, after the judgment of the Supreme Court suo-motu (on its own motion) put a stay on the order of the CJI.
- He is the first sitting judge to be charged with contempt in the history of Indian judiciary.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)