Age: 37 Years
Fiance: Vishnu Vishal
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jwala Gutta
- She was born in Wardha and brought up in Hyderabad.
- Her father, Kranti Gutta, is a Telugu Hindu while her mother, Yelan Gutta, is of Chinese descent.
- Her mother, Yelan, is the granddaughter of a Chinese Gandhian, Tseng, who visited India in 1971 along-with her mother to see the Sevagram Ashram and also translated Gandhi’s autobiography into the Chinese language.
- Jwala Gutta wanted to pursue her career in Tennis but her mother insisted Jwala to play Badminton.
- She was only 4 when her father introduced her with the National Badminton Coach, S. M. Arif.
- She learned Gymnastics and Swimming before starting her training for Badminton.
- She started playing Badminton at the age of 6 and won the Under-13 Girls Mini National Badminton Championship held in Kerala.
- Jwala Gutta partnered with Shruti Kurien which lasted for several years and the duo won the Women’s Doubles National title for 7 years (from 2002 to 2008) in succession.
- After her divorce, there were speculations in media about her link-up with the ex-Indian Cricketer, Mohammad Azharuddin.
- She remains active on social fronts and has been involved with various social issues including anti-tobacco campaign, anti-zoo campaign, and women empowerment issues.
- On numerous occasions, she has been listed as one of the most inspirational sportswomen from India.
- In 2011, the Indian Government awarded her with the Arjuna Award (India’s 2nd highest sporting honour).
- In 2013, she appeared in an item number in a Telugu Film, Gunde Jaari Gallanthayyinde.