Age: 71 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kapil Sibal
- Kapil Sibal is an Indian politician. He is from the Indian National Congress (INC). He has held many important ministerial positions and is also a lawyer of the Supreme Court.
- He cleared the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Examination but later did not join it to start his law firm in 1980.
- Kapil Sibal was the Additional Solicitor General of India between 1989 and 1990. He has been elected as the President of the Supreme Court Bar Association 3 times.
- He is the lawyer who had addressed the Parliament in the historic impeachment proceedings of the Supreme Court Justice V. Ramaswami in 1993.
- Based on his background in constitutional and parliamentary studies, Kapil Sibal was nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 1998. He represented the Congress party from Bihar.
- He played an important role in getting the television airwaves separate from the monopoly of Doordarshan and opened the path for other news and entertainment channels to get independent airwaves.
- He is the only Indian Member of Parliament to visit Antarctica.
- Kapil Sibal inaugurated the National Tsunami Early Warning System in Hyderabad in October 2007. This system detects earthquakes of 6 magnitudes or more, occurring in the Indian Ocean in less than 20 minutes of its occurrence.
- His father, Hira Lal Sibal was a renowned advocate. He was acknowledged for his expertise. He was honoured with the Padma Bhushan and was nicknamed- The Living Legend of the Law, by the International Bar Association in 1994.
- His father died on 28 December 2012 in Chandigarh. He was cremated in Chandigarh with full state honours.
- Kapil Sibal loves cricket and he has even been a guest commentator for a match between India and Australia.
- He is a member of the governing body of the St. Stephen’s College and has also served on the Board of the Indira Gandhi National Open University for many years.
- In 2012 he led the UPA Government’s negotiations with civil society groups to create India’s first anticorruption bill.
- His brother, Kanwal Sibal was an IFS officer and the former Foreign Secretary of India.