Hometown: Shimoga, Karnataka
Death Cause: Murder
Death Date: 22/03/1986
|Physical Stats & More|
|YouTube Height||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet & inches- 6’
|Date of Death||22 March 1986|
|Place of Death||A farm house near Allalasandra, Tumkur, Bengaluru|
|Death Cause||Murder The New Indian Express|
|Educational Qualification||Illiterate Bangalore Mirror|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Not Known|
|Parents||Names Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kotwal Ramachandra
- Kotwal Ramachandra was an Indian underworld don, who used to rule the underworld in Bangalore between the 1970s and 1980s.
- Kotwal worked as a sailor in the Indian Navy for a few years. He was declared a deserter as he ran away from his unit.
- After quitting his job, he started a shop in Shimoga for his living.
- Kotwal was then approached by a few politicians to campaign for them in various political rallies. Later, the then Chief Minister of Karnataka D. Devaraj Urs hired him as his driver and bodyguard. Gradually, Kotwal started developing an interest in politics.
- He made the headlines when one of his photos went viral in media in which he was seen threatening the former chief minister of Karnataka Ramakrishna Hegde with a knife in an open house.
- In the 1970s, he started involving in various criminal activities and soon became a known name in the world of gangsters.
- He even threatened the daughter of one of the chief ministers, who had passed orders to arrest Kotwal.
- Kotwal who once worked with the gangster named Jayaraj became one of the toughest rivalries of each other. Kotwal had control over the north and south Bengaluru whereas Jayaraj used to carry on his activities in central Bengaluru. They used to often have a gang war to gain supremacy.
- Later, Jayaraj was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for assaulting a man named Thigallarapete Gopi on the premises of a court. While he was in jail Kotwal started gaining more power in the city. By the time Jayaraj was released from prison, Kotwal and another gangster named Oil Kumar had gained control over the city.
- To regain power, Jayaraj contracted 4 goons with the help of the gangster named Agni Sridhar to kill Kotwal. On March 22, 1986, Ramachandra was murdered at a farmhouse in Allasandra in Tumakuru. Later, the bones of Kotwal were disposed of in the Bay of Bengal, and his bones were replaced by dog’s bones to mislead the investigation process.
- In an interview, while talking about Kotwal’s murder, underworld thug Seetharam Shetty said,
We hit Kotwal [Ramachandra] on the head with a machete. Bachchan landed blows to the neck and head. Sreedhar struck with his nunchaku. Kotwal died without offering resistance.”
- In 2007, a Kannada film ‘Aa Dinagalu’ was released which depicted the rise and murder of Kotwal Ramachandra.