|Nickname(s)||Chhora Babbar Sher Ka, Rockstar Baba|
|Profession||Dera Sacha Sauda Chief|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 90 kg
in Pounds- 198 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 43 inches
- Waist: 35 inches
- Biceps: 16 Inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||15 August 1967|
|Age (as of 2021)||54 Years|
|Birthplace||Gurusar Modia, Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan, India|
|Hometown||Sirsa, Haryana, India|
|Educational Qualification||9th Standard|
|Debut||Film: MSG: The Messenger of God (2015)
|Family||Father- Maghar Singh (Landlord)
Mother- Nasib Kaur
|Caste||Jat (Khatri Sikh)|
|Address||Shah Satnam Ji Dham, Sirsa, Haryana|
|Hobbies||Singing, Playing Cricket|
|Controversies||• Accused of raping his female followers.
• He is going through a conspiracy case of murdering a journalist who wrote against the Dera.
• Teaching his 400 followers to get castrated to get closer to God.
• After the approval of his debut film "Messenger of God", the then Censor Board head, Leela Samson, resigned as a protest.
• Sikh groups and government of Punjab went against his Deras after he wore an attire resembling the tenth Sikh Guru Gobind Singh, so they banned his Deras in Punjab.
• On 25 August 2017, a special court of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in Panchkula convicted Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh of raping 2 ‘sadhvis’ (female followers), in 2002.
• On 28 August 2017, a Special CBI Court in Rohtak Jail, sentenced him 20 years of rigorous imprisonment in two rape cases (10 years in each case) filed between 1999 and 2002.
• On 8 October 2021, a special CBI court in Panchkula convicted Ram Rahim and four others in a murder case of a former Dera functionary Ranjit Singh. The Hindu On 18 October 2021, Ram Rahim and four others were sentenced to life imprisonment in the murder of manager Ranjit Singh; four other convicts are Krishan Lal, Jasbir Singh, Avtar Singh and Sabdil. The court also asked Ram Rahim to pay a Rs. 31 lakh fine, half of which will go to Ranjit Singh's family. NDTV
• On 7 February 2022, he was granted furlough for 21 days to meet his family members in Gurugram; the development came ahead of the 2022 Punjab assembly election where Ram Rahim has a large number of followers. The Hindu
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Children||Daughters- Charanpreet Kaur Insan, Amarpreet Kaur Insan, Honeypreet Kaur (adopted)
Son- Jasmeet Singh Insan
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 1600 crore (as of 2017)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- Does Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh smoke?: Yes
- Does Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh alcohol?: Yes
- Although he was born in a Sikh family, since his childhood, he wasn’t inclined towards any particular religious faith.
- His father, Maghar Singh, was a landlord in Rajasthan’s Sri Ganganagar district.
- His mother, Naseeb Kaur, was a very orthodox-woman and a god-fearing housewife.
- When Gurmeet was a child, Maghar Singh came in contact with Dera Sacha Sauda (founded by Baba Balochistani Beparwah Mastana ji).
- Maghar Singh became a follower of Shah Satnam Singh (the then Dera head) and devoted a lot of time in spreading Dera’s thoughts.
- Gurmeet Singh’s friend, Gurjant Singh, was jailed after he avenged his uncle’s murder. While in jail, Gurjant was radicalised by separatist Khalistani militants.
- By that time, Gurmeet had become a full-time Dera-worker, doing odd jobs like driving a tractor or assisting his father in Seva.
- When Shah Satnam (the then Dera head), in an unexpected move, announced that he would retire after handing over the leadership to a successor, Gurmeet was nowhere in the picture as there were 3 contenders for becoming the Dera Chief. However, in a surprise move, Shah Satnam appointed Gurmeet Singh his successor and gave him the name Huzoor Maharaj Gurmeet Ram Rahim.
- Like his predecessors, Gurmeet wasn’t a simple-living-high-thinking leader. His love for shiny costumes is an open secret.
- At the age of 23, he became the 3rd Chief of Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) group, which was founded in the year 1948.
- When he declared himself a celibate, he had two daughters and a son.
- He used to be surrounded by ‘Sadhikas’ (women devotee attendees). He later adopted a young girl Honeypreet as his 3rd daughter.
- His 3 daughters call themselves Papa’s Angels. All other devotees call him Pitaji or Papa Ji.
- His daughters have acted in his MSG series of films.
- Gurmeet’s son, Jasmeet Insan, is married to a Punjab Congress MLA’s daughter Husanmeet Kaur.
- According to reports, in his Dera, Gurmeet built a cave where he would sexually exploit women. Based on the theme of the harem in palaces, he would pick girls from among the devotees and make them surrender their bodies to him. These women would later remain in Dera like slaves. These women were guarded by men allegedly castrated by the Dera.
- He termed his act of rape an act of pardon (‘Maafi’ to be precise). For women, it was a blessing.
- The two women who testified against him had similar stories. The primary complainant wrote an anonymous letter to Atal Bihari Vajpayee (the then Prime Minister of India) in 2002, which became the basis of an F.I.R. by CBI in 2002. She explained the CBI Court that she was called by Gurmeet Ram Rahim into his cave (Gufa) in the intervening night of August 28 and 29, 1999 for granting pardon (Maafi). When she objected, Gurmeet threatened to kill her. After the rape, she realised the reality of the Dera. She later complained to her brother, who revolted against the Dera and escaped with her. He was later murdered.
- The 2nd complainant had grown up in the Dera. Once, when she was guarding the cave-residence of the Dera Chief, he called her inside. She was shocked after seeing Gurmeet in bed, apparently naked. She tried running away but it was too late. Nobody came to help her and she was raped by Gurmeet Ram Rahim. Somehow, she managed to escape later.
- There are scores of other women who have kept their mouth shut out of fear.
- A journalist has also revealed some secrets in his investigative journalism.
Journalist Anurag Tripathi reveals details of the sting operation he conducted on Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.Also read | Violence erupts after Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh convicted of rape: http://bit.ly/2vuEreT | LIVE blog: bit.ly/2wEhGdo
Posted by TheWire.in on Friday, August 25, 2017
- He has Deras (ashram) at various locations in India, such as – Haryana, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Chandigarh, Gujarat and others.
- His Deras have made as many as 16 Guinness World Record in different categories.
- He has more than 50 million followers from around the globe.
- There have been many murders and rape cases filed against him.
- He possesses hundreds of vehicles, including Range Rover SUV and 16 black Ford Endeavours.
- On 25 August 2017, when a Special CBI Court convicted him in a rape case, a massive violence (led by Dera followers) erupted in Haryana’s Panchkula district and many other parts of the country. In the violence, a huge loss of human life and property occurred. According to reports, more than 35 deaths and 200 vehicles (including media OB Vans, fire-fighting vehicles and other pvt./govt. vehicles) were set ablaze.
- Prior to his conviction in the rape case, he was provided with the Z+ security by the Government of India.
- On 22 February 2022, the Haryana government provided him Z-Plus category security following reports of threats to his life from pro-Khalistan activists. The decision came in the wake of his furlough that he was granted on 7 February 2022 for 21 days to meet his family members in Gurugram. India Today