Some Lesser Known Facts About Lovlina Borgohain
- Lovlina Borgohain is an Indian amateur boxer who is the first woman from Assam to qualify for the Olympics.
- She is the second boxer from Assam to represent India in boxing after Shiva Thapa.
- Lovlina’s elder sisters were both Kickboxers. Lovlina too got inspired by them and started Kickboxing when she was in her teenage. Her sisters played the game till the national level but did not pursue it beyond that.
- Later, she took part in the trials held at her school by the Sports Authority of India. At the trials, she came to the notice of the boxing coach Padum Boro. Padum selected her and began her training in boxing in 2012.
- Despite being financially unsound, Lovlina’s father struggled a lot to support her.
- She won a bronze medal at the Asian Boxing Championships in Vietnam in 2017.
- In the same year, he won a bronze at the President’s Cup held in Astana.
- In 2018, Lovlina participated in the welterweight category in India Open – an international boxing championship and won a gold medal. Her win secured her a place in the Common Wealth Games in 2018.
- Subsequently, she won a silver medal at the Ulaanbaatar Cup in Mongolia and a bronze medal at the 13th International Silesian Championship in Poland.
- In November 2018, Borgohain won a bronze medal in the Welterweight (69 kg) category at the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championship, held in New Delhi.
- He then won a bronze at the Women’s World Boxing Championships (2019) in Ulan-Ude, Russia, in 2019.
- In 2020, Lovlina made her place in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics after winning a bronze medal in the 2020 Asia and Oceania Boxing Olympic qualifiers.
- In her spare time, she likes to travel and watch television.
- She is fond of cats and keeps posting her pictures with cats on her Instagram account.
- In 2020, she received the Arjuna Award for her performance in boxing.
- She works out daily to maintain her physical fitness.
- In an interview, while talking about Lovlina’s height, her father said,
Since she has always been very tall, her friends in school used to make fun of her but it’s her height that has helped her become the boxer she is today, and hopefully, she will win a medal in Australia.”
- Lovlina also practices meditation to maintain her mental balance. Talking about it in an interview, Lovlina said,
I had prepared very well, be it technique or fitness, going into that event. And when I lost, it was mentally draining for me. Only after that did I realize that physical prowess was not all that mattered. Playing a big tournament brings with it a lot of stress and I became aware of the psychological aspects of the sport. I took to meditation to improve my psyche and it also helped me strategize in between bouts. I started performing better after that.”
- After Lovlina won the ticket to the Tokyo Olympics 2020, the chief minister of Assam Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma took to Twitter to congratulate her. He tweeted,
A matter of great joy and pride for us as @LovlinaBorgohai becomes the first woman pugilist from Assam to qualify for the #Olympics. My heartiest congratulations to you Lovlina. You have our finest wishes for the big moment. May you continue to shine and succeed.
- She won a bronze medal in the Tokyo Olympics 2020 after losing to the world boxing champion Busenaz Surmeneli from Turkey.