|Full Name||Gopala Ratnam Subramaniam|
|Profession||Film Director, Producer and Screenwriter|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Date of Birth||2 June 1956|
|Age (as in 2017)||61 years|
|Birth Place||Madurai, Tamil Nadu|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Madurai, Tamil Nadu|
|College||Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College, Madras University
Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification||Master of Business Administration (MBA)|
|Debut||Film: - Pallavi Anu Pallavi
|Family||Father- S Gopal Ratnam
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- G. Venkateswaran, G. Srinivasan, Sethu Sriram
Sister- Sharda Ratnam
|Hobbies||Reading and Writing|
|Controversies||Split up of Maniratnam and Ilaiyaraaja (1992): As per industry buzz, Maniratnam had not worked with any other music director except Ilaiyaraaja till 'Roja'. K Balachander, who was the producer of 'Roja' wanted A.R Rehman in place of Ilaiyaraaja to direct music of the film. It led to the disassociation between Maniratnam & Ilaiyaraaja, and since then, both have stopped working together.
|Favourite Food||South Indian, Continental|
|Favourite Actors||Rajnikant , Amitabh Bachchan , Kamal Hasan, Anil Kapoor|
|Favourite Actress||Suhasini, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Tabu, Manisha Koirala|
|Favourite Film(s)|| Bollywood- Roja, Dil Se, Bombay, Guru
Hollywood- Memento, Dark Knight, Inception
|Favourite Singer||Ilaiyaraaja, A.R. Rahman|
|Wife/Spouse|| Suhasini Maniratnam
|Marriage Date||year, 1988|
|Children||Son- Nandhan Maniratnam
|Car Collection||BMW and Mercedes BENZ|
|Salary||5 crore/film (INR)|
|Net Worth||$18.3 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mani Ratnam
- Does Mani Ratnam Smoke?: No
- Does Mani Ratna drinks Alcohol?: No
- Mani Ratnam had his alma mater from one of the prominent B-schools of India. He has completed his MBA (finance) from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies(JBIMS), which is ranked among top 10 B-shools in India.
- India’s most exquisite filmmaker once said in his interview that during his childhood he was not allowed to watch movies and it was a ‘taboo’ in his parent’s mind that watching movies is a time killing task.
- Two of his films- ‘Anjali’ & ‘Nayagan’ also got the nomination and official entry from India for the Academy Awards (Oscars).
- At global and National level, Mani Ratnam received various honor such as Padam Shri Award (2002), Filmfare Award for the films like Yuva, Bombay & Guru, National Film Award for Roja, Bombay, Anjali & Geethanjali, Gala Award for the film Bombay at Edinburgh International Film Festival.
- Here are some Glimpses of two legendary artists Maniratnam & A R Rehman cherishing 25 years of their partnership.